Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devils on Horsebacks? Anybody ever heard of them much less made them?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
The Oct/Nov issue of Cook's Country has a recipe for an appetizer which is a distant relative to an ABT. The center is either dates or prunes though dates seem to be preferred. The dates are then stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped tight with bacon. The trick is to bake them on a wire rack so the bacon seals itself and keeps the goo inside eliminating the need for a toothpick. If nothing else the name of this concoction sounds cool!  =)
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've made bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese.  I like them better 50:50 blue cheese and goat cheese.  Sometimes a marcona almond in the model too.  Figs work well too, finish with a little balsamic glaze drizzle.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Heard and made. We did a dinner party where you had to bring a,dish from the 70's. These were in my Moms Betty Crocker cookbook. We used dates. The were ok, lots of work and I'm not likely to make them again anytime soon. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've done dates stuffed with goat cheese and then wrapped in bacon. Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head was mixed with the goat cheese and then also dusted on the bacon after wrapped. They were really good, need to make some again soon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've seen that posted on here before.  Right around that time, I tried it as well and it was an epic fail.  I had just had something similar at a restaurant in Miami, but couldn't pull it off myself.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Devil on horseback. I want to post the pic of Anthony Weiner riding a horse during "equine therapy" for his perversion addiction rehab. The angel and the devil on my shoulders were fighting it out on whether to post it, and agreed I should simply mention it instead.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Well, the mental image is causing giggles.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I do these with figs quite often... Stuff with blue cheese, wrap in bacon or prosciutto, drizzle with balsamic.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options

Steve Raichlen made them on his smoking series on PBS last season. Sounded good but have not tried.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I thought this referred to Sparky on Traveler....oh well pac 10, 12, whatever...