Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starter cubes.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone got a good place on-line to order starter cubes at a fair price. The Egg store went out of business in my little hometown so I have no place to buy them any longer.[p]Thanks,
HJ

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Hugh Jass,
    Does your Grocery store carry the "fire starter" logs? If so then pinch some off and use them. They are cheap and they work.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Hugh Jass,[p]Consider a MAPP gas torch. Once purchased it is very economical to use. Flick the switch, point at the charcoal, and count to 20. Done that easy.[p]If you do this starting method make sure the control has a regulator in it so you can turn the torch upside down with no problems with the fire.[p]Spin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spin, how can I tell if it has a regulator? If it does'nt say so on the box I am afraide that the people at the big blue box won't know either. Thanks.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Zee,[p]The best way is try it. You will need to buy a MAPP gas cylinder (same size as a small propane cylinder) at the same time. Open the boxes and crank the control on top of the cylinder and give it a start, then turn it upside down while it is still on. If the flame remains the same it has a regulator. If the flame blows out, it doesn't. Most controls have a regulator now a days.[p]Spin
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Spin,
    I think you wanted to say 20 seconds at three or four spaced intervals around the bed of charcoal. Hot as heck aroud the Baltimore area today,time to do some crabbing.Have a good weekend.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hugh Jass,[p]I love the Weber cubes and use them with all my cookers and also to even start my charcoal chimneys. They are getting very hard to find at a good price and most of my sources have dried up so when you do find them, order enough to last you for a while. I just looked and still have a couple of cases so I am good for another year. I have purchased them for as little as 1.49 per box to about 2.49 as this is what I paid for my last five cases. [p]Dave[p]54MVC-026E.jpg

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Hugh Jass,
    I use a starter cube, or piece of a starter log and blast it with my small propane torch. I got the propane torch for $10 at Home Depot. It works great for me. I have had no problems starting the cube. And the propabe is cheap, just regular cigarette lighter propane.