Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happiness is...

Options
11 lbs of pork belly, smoking over apple and pecan, on a crisp Saturday morning in the fall...

That is all.

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    yes sir.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Here's a better pic of the backyard. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Happy, happy, happy indeed!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Can't beat that! Did you do the bourbon bacon?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JacksDad
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I gonna try this afternoon. We'll see what happens...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Happiness indeed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• txhawkeye
    Options
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Oh yes! Really like that second photo. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That pic makes me feel good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Oh that's just lovely......
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • JacksDad
    Options

Bacon smoked. Think temp was a little high but damn it smells good. 

Since this is the first time I'm doing this, I'm only marinating some of it in bourbon. I vacuum sealed it but had to use a paper towel to keep the liquid from preventing the seal. I have to serve this tonight at a dinner party (as appetizer), figure if it tastes terrible then we can fall back on the regular smoked stuff without bourbon. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Inspired. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JacksDad
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Inspired. 

Frequent reading of this forum will do that... Learned so much, and have so much fun trying new things on the egg! 

So what's in your egg? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Now that you have yourself some nice thick cut bacon if you are a sous vide'er check out this recent article on Serious Eats - http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-make-juicy-sous-vide-bacon.html

I've not yet tried that myself but plan to soon.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    Inspired. 

Frequent reading of this forum will do that... Learned so much, and have so much fun trying new things on the egg! 

So what's in your egg? 

14 lbs of Butt. 2 7ish pounders. Pulling one, burnt ends out of the second one. Lots of freezing afterwards for two weeks of leftovers for quick lunches and snacks. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JacksDad
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    blind99 said:
    I gonna try this afternoon. We'll see what happens...

Here's the result, bourbon soaked bacon:

This was actually delicious! I marinated in a nice bourbon, but was only able to do it for a few hours before cooking at the party. Next time, I will aim for a couple days in the fridge. We could definitely taste the bourbon, not harsh and not overwhelming. I think using good stuff made a difference, but I'm not a big bourbon drinker. Only flaw was that I was only able to soak the cured belly in water for a few hours beforehand, so it was really salty. But will definitely do this again! 

Thanks for lookin...

Large BGE -- New Jersey