Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transfering chicken/ribs to Super Bowl Party?

Options
disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi to everyone out there in eggland! I was graciously asked to cook chicken and ribs for the super bowl party for appx. 25-30 people. My question is; I'm doing chicken on one egg(breast, thigh, etc... with bone-in), on the other egg I'm doing baby back ribs. They are planning on eating around 5:00-6:00, but want people over earlier. I'm planning on being there around 3:00, if I cook the food and cover with foil, wrap in towels and place in a cooler, will the food still be ok for two hours, or will it get soggy or something? Thanks for any suggestions. No snow here in Florida, but is cool(48 for the high).[p]DK

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    DK, either one will be o.k. wrapped in foil. I have had a large turkey wrapped enroute for a hour and it was like you just took it off the grill. Poultry doesn't mind it. Ribs are better for a shorter time wrapped. Like half hour.
    Just my experience.
    C~W
    (BTW they will continue to cook while wrapped so you can pull em off a few degrees (+/-5F) short of normal)

• disabledDK
    Options
    Char-Woody, Thank you for the info. Does the skin on the chicken still stay kinda crispy? Will the ribs get more moist or dry-out?[p]Thanks again, DK

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    DK,[p]Char~Woody gave you some great advice and I would like to add my $.02 concerning the ribs. I have done this several times and it always works great.[p]When you remove the ribs from the egg, let them set for about 15 minutes, then cut them into individual ribs. I then place them in a large pyrex baking dish and cover them with foil to transport. Don't worry if they cool off some as it will be best to pop them in the oven at 350* for 20 minutes before ready to serve. This works for me and is just as good as coming straight from the egg to the table.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DK,
    C~W and Bob have great suggestions. Take em off a bit early, wrap em right away, and get them in the cooler. Tip from Jobu works great. Fill cooler up with steaming hot water, and cover, about an hour before you leave. Dump water out and lay in your towel, then in one swift motion, whisk the grub into foil (or as Bob suggested, pyrex/foil), then straight to the cooler. You'll be stylin and smylin all the way to the party. Opening up the steaming hot food, and watching people gather 'round with drool buckets in full swing.[p]I doubt the chicken skin will be crispy, but that is a small price to pay for having steaming hot egg food 2 hours later.[p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • disabledDK
    Options
    Nature Boy, Great ideas guys! It is just great how fast you get answers with the forum. I now feel better about transporting the Eggsuperbowl feast to the party. Thank you again everyone![p]DK[p]PS. Go Titans! (The Rams stole the game from my Bucs)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DK,
    Any time. Hope you have a blast.
    Your Bucs stole it from my Skins! But I agree, Go Titans.
    Good luck with the big cook.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ