Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Egg Gap

Options
I just finished my new table for my large egg.  I cut the hole at 21 inches, but am now concerned that I only have a 1/4 inch gap between the egg and the wood.  I do not want the wood to get scorched or worse catch the whole table on fire.  Before I put the bands back on the egg, I would like to know how large the table/gap should be to ensure a fire free wood table?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That is too close, but before you panic did you account for any cement risers for your egg to sit on? Even the metal nest thing can have stepping stones put under thus distancing your egg's shell from the wood. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Cagey said:
    I just finished my new table for my large egg.  I cut the hole at 21 inches, but am now concerned that I only have a 1/4 inch gap between the egg and the wood.  I do not want the wood to get scorched or worse catch the whole table on fire.  Before I put the bands back on the egg, I would like to know how large the table/gap should be to ensure a fire free wood table?
    What do you plan to have between the bottom of the egg and the table? You should have a paver and an air gap.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I possible inferred something different than what I was asking in my original question.  I have a 2 inch paver and the old ceramic feet under my egg.  When I measure from the top of the ceramic feet to the table top, it measures 14. 75 inches.  I have right at 5 inches of the bottom of the egg sticking up from the table top.

My issue is the 21 inch hole the that the egg sits inside.  I only have a 1/4 inch or so around the outside of the egg.  When I look at other table pictures, it appears there is closer to an inch of space between the outside of the egg and the horizontal table top.  Everything I read said to cut a 21 inch hole.  I do not mind cutting it larger, but would like to cut it correctly the second time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Cagey said:
    I possible inferred something different than what I was asking in my original question.  I have a 2 inch paver and the old ceramic feet under my egg.  My issue is the 21 inch hole the that the egg sits inside.  I only have a 1/4 inch or so around the outside of the egg.  When I look at other table pictures, it appears there is closer to an inch of space between the outside of the egg and the horizontal table top.
    No I knew what you meant, but I thought maybe you had not already compensated for the paver and whatever. But now it appears you do have a problem and enlarging the diameter is the only practical solution for safety sake. One last idea - some people have gotten away with the circle cut in a table and instead they leave the front open. That eases in the removeal of your egg if need be. At least that way you'll only have to enlarge half of the circle! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cagey
    Options
    How much of a gab should I have between the egg and the table top?  Half inch, one inch, 1.5 inch, or even two inches?
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I did the 21 inch as well. I wish I had at least 1/2" more space. Since the egg is tapered, if you put a thicker paver it would give you more space between the side of the egg and the hole.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Does a table nest provide a little more clearance than the ceramic feet or are they the same height?
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Does a table nest provide a little more clearance than the ceramic feet or are they the same height?
    The old green feet provide 3/4".  The table nest provides 2".
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cagey
    Options
    StillH20Egger:

The table nest probably provides two inches verses the one inch ceramic feet.  I am already at 14.75 inches from the top of the ceramic feet to the top of the table top.  Lets say that it raises the egg and inch, but if the gap increases from 1/4 inch to an 3/8 inch, is that enough of a gap?

Personally, I will not be using a table nest nor would I recommend on to anyone.  My nest rusted away to almost being unstable in just under 6 years.  The bottom of the nest, which looks to be almost a table nest is also rusted to a level I would not use it as a table nest.  If BGE made the table nest out of stainless steel, then I might get one.  When I checked with my dealer, he said the old ceramic feet with a paver worked just as good as the nest, though the ceramic feet and paver never rusted or almost never failed.  
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Cagey said:
    StillH20Egger:

...When I checked with my dealer, he said the old ceramic feet with a paver worked just as good as the nest, though the ceramic feet and paver never rusted or almost never failed.  
    Your dealer does not understand thermodynamics.  You get a lot more insulative protection with a 2" gap than a 3/4" gap.  

Ceramic feet do not rust, but they do break and broken feet can provide a less stable base for the egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I've only got three or four years with my table nest, but it has held up nicely. I also live in the midwest and keep BGE covered most of the time when not in use. Good luck finding a solution, and hopefully something less taxing than widening the hole.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Cagey
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Interesting how no one seems able to provide what would be a simple gap width required to keep a wood table from catching on fire.  Everyone wants to debate thermodynamics or come up with a less taxing solution than 10 minutes with a jig saw.  If dry wood combusts at 451 degrees Fahrenheit and a BGE is running at a 1000 degrees, how much an airspace is required to keep the wood below 451 degrees Fahrenheit?  To make it simpler, does anybody want to share the gap between your egg body and your wood table upon which, you have run at max temperature to clean out the inside of your egg?  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Cagey said:
    Interesting how no one seems able to provide what would be a simple gap width required to keep a wood table from catching on fire.  Everyone wants to debate thermodynamics or come up with a less taxing solution than 10 minutes with a jig saw.  If dry wood combusts at 451 degrees Fahrenheit and a BGE is running at a 1000 degrees, how much an airspace is required to keep the wood below 451 degrees Fahrenheit?  To make it simpler, does anybody want to share the gap between your egg body and your wood table upon which, you have run at max temperature to clean out the inside of your egg?  

I can tell you for a fact that the Egg will NOT get to 451 degrees on the side of it. Maybe on the dome towards the rear, but not on the where it touches the table. Ive done plenty of clean burns in excess of 1000 degrees. Seared plenty of steaks at 1000 degrees, cooked lots of pizzas at 500-600 degrees.. Wood table with about 5/8" gap around the egg has had NO issues at all.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Cagey said:
    When it comes to fire safety and Egg installation, we are on our own.  There are no building codes to go by, or UL certifications, etc.  We all have to apply our knowledge of fire and combustible materials to develop what we feel is a safe operating environment. There don't appear to be a lot (any?) actual studies of optimal setup for preventing fires when using our Eggs.  We get limited testimonials from fellow eggers on their experiences.  These can provide some guidance and insights, but are a very limited sample size and not from controlled experiments.  What is safe enough is an individual decision - these measures reduce risk but do not eliminate it.  

What is safe enough under normal operating conditions, may not be sufficient under abnormal conditions.   

The 451º value is for paper, not wood.  The value is also an oversimplification - Paper ignites at different temps depending on a number of factors.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Cagey
    Options
    EggHeadInFlorida:

I want to thank you for actually taking the time to measure your air gap between your table and your egg.  That was all that was needed verses all this your dealer knows nothing about thermodynamics or raise your egg to make the gap larger, or 451 degrees is not for wood combustion but paper.  
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I have a metal top. I still cut my hole at 22". The BGE plans call for 21" but I felt it was too close. 

The reason people were asking if you had your egg off of the deck was because they wanted to make sure you had everything accounted for on your measurements. They were trying to be helpful, you decided to be a Richard. Nice. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Cagey
    Options
    Kcid:

I add sorry that you do not appreciate my comments.  Thank you for sharing the fact that you cut a 22 inch hole for your egg.  I appreciate the information, but it fails to answer the simple question I originally asked concerning how much of an air gap is needed between the egg side and the table top.  

Only one person was willing to share the fact that they went with a 5/8 inch gap.  Visiting two Egg dealers and examining 6 tables, it appears that BGE tables only have between a 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch air gap between the table and egg sides.  Calling another dealer in town, I was told their tables had the same gap of 1/4 to 3/8 inches on their tables.  

Myself, I went with a 5/8 inch gap, and it with a 10 degree back cut to make the bottom opening larger than the top.  Using the egg with a dome temperature of 350 degrees, you can easily hold your finger in the gap with no discomfort for minutes on end.  My Thermopen only registered a slightly higher than ambient temperature when I left it sitting approximately 1/4 inch for the egg.

EggHeadInFlorida, thank you again for the outstanding information.   Take care, and have a wonderful day.