Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Peppers and the BGE

Options
Shawn M
Shawn M Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody done dried hot peppers in the BGE? I am interested in making Chipoltes.[p]Shawn M

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Shawn M,[p]The Egg will do a nice job on chipotles. The traditional recipe calls for red jalapenos instead of green. I've done both with great results. [p]Smoke them direct at 250-275* dome for 4 to 5 hours until thoroughly dry. In the absence of pimento wood, I use apple chips. Remove seeds and ribs before smoking or they will be REALLY potent.[p]Good luck,[p]K~G
    pepper.gif

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Shawn M,[p]Kenny G gave you good advice. I took all of the misc. peppers leftover in the garden at the end of last year and smoked them. I ended up with about 6 gallon ziplock bags of smoked peppers from jalepenos to poblanos to cayenne even. They're great and add a nice smoky flavor to everything you put them in. Slow roasted them for about 5 hours, indirect, at 225-250 with cherry wood.[p]Troy
  • Shawn M
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Thank you for the information. I will try making chipotles with next years pepper crop.[p]Shawn M.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Shawn M,
    If you stem & seed them first, work outside or in a well-ventilated area & remember to wear gloves. JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    KennyG,
    I've got some pimento we can play with if you come to Michigan Feb. 10th. I'll make some conch fritters & Planter's Punch, too! ...Rum make you glad, Mon. JCA

• Shawn M,
    Heck ya...
    I wash em, cut the stems off and smoke them up. They usually take about 4 hours to get them nice and dry. I usually use Peach or Apricot...ads a nice sweet flavor to them ;)..then I put them in the grider a bit at a time, and grind em up and throw em in a pepper shaker (collectable of course collected at a garage sale)[p]Makes the best stuff this side of the pecos...[p]SS

[ul][li]Ma's[/ul]