Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The 165° Myth

Options
I've been cooking poultry to 165° for so long (and usually getting juicy results), I have a hard time with the concept of cooking to 150°. One of these days, maybe I'll try this...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-take-the-temperature-of-your-turkey-video.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Yeah, ok. I'll keep doing it the old way. I can't even serve or eat pork unless it's well done. Too ingrained in me I guess. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    140 for pork, here.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Agree on this method and temps  Much more juicy.
    I aim for them on poultry in general.  I used to shoot for 165℉ breast & 170℉-185℉ thigh.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Yeah, ok. I'll keep doing it the old way. I can't even serve or eat pork unless it's well done. Too ingrained in me I guess. 
    That's tragic.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    155 works for me with a 14 pounder cooked at roasting temps, lower if its a big bird with more carryover. if im shooting for turkey salad 155 works for low and slows for me but i dont like the texture as much for a turkey dinner. you cook a bird to 165 and let it rest its going to be 185 by the time its served =) i do this with stuffed birds in the oven, im a holdout for stuffing, hate dressing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    I usually pull breasts at 150°F, and quarters at 160-165°F when cooking for us at home, but higher temps if we have guests.

It just takes too long to explain and convince folks that 1. Yes, its safe 2. It will taste better than what you're used to eating 3. yes, I'm sure its safe. 

• fishlessman
    Options

this is the chart ive been using and have posted before, down near the bottom is turkey
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    caliking said:
    I usually pull breasts at 150°F, and quarters at 160-165°F when cooking for us at home, but higher temps if we have guests.

It just takes too long to explain and convince folks that 1. Yes, its safe 2. It will taste better than what you're used to eating 3. yes, I'm sure its safe. 
    Your guests ask what temp you're cooking to? Just tell 'em 'til it's done. Or lie and say 165°. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:

Your guests ask what temp you're cooking to? Just tell 'em 'til it's done. Or lie and say 165°. =)
    some cant get by the too juicy tender part, for them it needs to be dry
    fukahwee maine

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    At 155 degrees pasteurization takes place in about a minute. Let it stand a few minutes and enjoy poultry that isn't over cooked. If there is a single thing that will change your cooks the most  it's cooking to temp and not over cooking. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

No,  the ones who know about meat temps know better than to ask. Its the ones who cook their meat till its dry and ghastly (>185°F, if they were to ever temp it). 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    caliking said:
    BilZol said:
    That's tragic.
    Not if you don't like it that way. I've never gotten any complaints. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Lol... im with you, i get nice juicy chicken going to 160. There is zero reason to try this.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Lol... im with you, i get nice juicy chicken going to 160. There is zero reason to try this.
    Who knows? 150° might be even bettah. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    The challenge is trying to convince them the 'blood' at the joints won't kill them  =)
    canuckland
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    How about some chicken tartare? Lets push the envelope folks!!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I will have to remember this.  Last year my turkey came out good going to 165, but I can see where 150 and over should be good.  My big mistake last year was cooking the ham to 165.  I will not do that again, 140 from now one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bigbadben
    Options
    This year I am quartering the turkey. Dark meat will go on an hour or so ahead of the white meat. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    155 works for me with a 14 pounder cooked at roasting temps, lower if its a big bird with more carryover. if im shooting for turkey salad 155 works for low and slows for me but i dont like the texture as much for a turkey dinner. you cook a bird to 165 and let it rest its going to be 185 by the time its served =) i do this with stuffed birds in the oven, im a holdout for stuffing, hate dressing
    i should add to this, slightly overcooked 165 degree turkey on tday is usually fine, its the next day, cook it past 155 and it makes dry sandwiches the next day and your covering it with too much mayo, sauce etc to compensate. a 165 degree turkey makes horrible sandwiches the next day, the salt even bounces off of it =)
    fukahwee maine

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I will have to remember this.  Last year my turkey came out good going to 165, but I can see where 150 and over should be good.  My big mistake last year was cooking the ham to 165.  I will not do that again, 140 from now one.
    Never really cooked much ham.  What's the difference between 165 and 140 for ham?  Is it texture, or juiciness that is compromised?  @Ladeback69

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I want to know how you guys manage to pull chicken at exactly 160?  Are you constantly probing them?

I check when they look right.  If it's at 150.  I let it go a few min longer and pull without checking again.  If the first time I check and it's at 158 I pull.  If it's at 164 I pull.  

I don't have some exact temp I make sure I am pulling them at.  They always come out pretty tasty for me.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Never really cooked much ham.  What's the difference between 165 and 140 for ham?  Is it texture, or juiciness that is compromised?  @Ladeback69
    for one, ham is already cooked.  you're reheating it

• bigbadben
    Options
    I want to know how you guys manage to pull chicken at exactly 160?  Are you constantly probing them?

I check when they look right.  If it's at 150.  I let it go a few min longer and pull without checking again.  If the first time I check and it's at 158 I pull.  If it's at 164 I pull.  

I don't have some exact temp I make sure I am pulling them at.  They always come out pretty tasty for me.
    I use a leave in probe like the mav 733 (or simmilar). 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    i should add to this, slightly overcooked 165 degree turkey on tday is usually fine, its the next day, cook it past 155 and it makes dry sandwiches the next day and your covering it with too much mayo, sauce etc to compensate. a 165 degree turkey makes horrible sandwiches the next day, the salt even bounces off of it =)

Try one inverted on a stand. You can cook it to 200* and it will still be juicy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Who knows? 150° might be even bettah. 
    Go for it! if the look and texture is the same then okay but im not sure it would be. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options

Try one inverted on a stand. You can cook it to 200* and it will still be juicy.
    Keeping the bird whole does open up the finishing window.  So much I no longer brine, but that does too.

I've let a few get away from me on the rotis, thinking they will be torched.  Juicy every time.  Haven't looked back, and I used to swear by breaking the bird down, then pulling as it finished.  

I'm good anywhere 155-175 in the breast, with carryover.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Time and temp, the combination understood by all who sous vide. SWMBO was always a well done pork chop gal. Once we started using sous vide, she read and understood the science and as long as the chops are pan seared, the preferred IT is 137ºF. 
    Chicken breast is pulled at 145-150º, rested on a rack with a foil tent. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lvnthedrm
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    This year I am quartering the turkey. Dark meat will go on an hour or so ahead of the white meat. 
    Or you could leave it whole and use the @mad max beyond eggdome method of placing ziploc bags of ice over the breasts to lower their temp prior to placing on the egg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Lvnthedrm -  I use that icing process not only with turkey but chix as well.  Works for me every time.  Great point you made right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I'm going to try it. If I disappear from the forum you'll know I perished and not to try it. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.