Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax Woo Ring with or Without Handles?

Jeffroe189
Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to place an order for the Woo ring for my Minimax. I see there is an option to get it with handles. Is there any reason I should get the Woo ring without handles? It seems like the handles would be a nice addition.

Give me your thoughts handles or no handles.
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389

I do not have a MM, however, I do have the Woo  with the handles, which I believe makes it compatible with a CI Grid...at least that was the case for the Woo for the large.  Simple answer...yes...get it with the handles.  I just used it last night when I did the meatballs Direct, then removed the grid, using the  handles--and some BBQ gloves of course....inserted plate setter, and did the sauce indirect.

Handles are ALWAYS a good thing except on a Roller Coaster!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have woo without....happy camper here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a PS Woo with handles for my large and a Woo without handles for my Small.  The handles are nice for lifting the LBGE set up but for the small I like the ability to rotate the cooking grid to deal with hot spots.  For a Max, I'd go without personally.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bought mine long before the option was available. I'm happy w/out handles. Given the option on the MM I'd likely go w/out again because I find it easier to rotate. Either way you decide the product quality is top notch. My WOO rarely leaves the MM. Definitely get the deflector stone. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I like the handles. I found myself always chasing the grid. I wanted the grid not to rotate and make it easy to lift the woo and stone/plate setter without have to lift from below the grid. For me it is just as simple too lift and rotate the whole thing at once. 
    Thanks Tom.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Something to keep in mind also, I've been known to flip my woo on my mm upside down for a second level or even to go raised higher in the dome. Not sure its possible with handles but ill let someone with handles comment. If you can't flip it upside down with the handles, you may lose a lot of added flexability. 
    Parker, Colorado
  • I personally don't own one but I like the idea of the handles. However, @rockymountaineggster brings up an interesting point. 
  • Additionally, I use a cast iron grate in my MM and it's a pretty close tolerance for closing the dome. So, I couldn't imagine using a second level on my particular set up. Mine is a first gen so maybe somebody else can enlighten me?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If the MM Woo is like my small Woo with handles I would opt for no handles so I could use the wok without interference from the handles.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I went no handles. Like to spin the grate and not the whole Woo. Just the way I like to do it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @chuckytheegghead I use a smaller grate when I flip to woo upside down for the elevated 2nd level. I can't remember the exact size  but I want to say 9 or 10 inch but I'm not 100%
    Parker, Colorado
  • Placed an order this morning for one with the handles. I had a Woo ring for my small egg and kind of liked the handles. Mainly so I don't get my fingers dirty when I have to remove it to add more lump. : )

I am sure I would have been happy with ether one. I can always cut the Handles off if I decide I don't want them anymore. I would not have been able to add them as easily.

Thank you all for your input and I appreciate all the suggestions. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I only see a medium Woo with handles - the MM Woo has no handle option. Has this recently changed?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Photo Egg
    I only see a medium Woo with handles - the MM Woo has no handle option. Has this recently changed?
    Give Tom or Terri a call at Ceramic Grill Store if you want the handles.
    Some people like the handles, some don't.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • From what I understand its a new option on there website. You can get them with our without now. I believe it was only without before.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Back in April I was cooking on my MiniMax at the N Texas Spring Mega Bash. Every time I went to turn or relocate the appetizers the grid would move or rotate. So I asked Tom to put handles on it like the PSWoo for the large. I also wanted to have them for a simple method of remove the complete setup, same as the large PSWoo.
    And as Tom always does, he did a great job in making it happen. Best damn customer support, period.
    I sent it out and had a 3/8" s/s rod custom grid made for it. Been very happy with both.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Shoot - I now see the handles are a checkbox on the item page and not a separate item. Mine just shipped. Need to think about whether I want the handles and go through the hassle of sending back.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Photo Egg
    Shoot - I now see the handles are a checkbox on the item page and not a separate item. Mine just shipped. Need to think about whether I want the handles and go through the hassle of sending back.
    Call and make sure it has shipped.
    Might generate email when label is printed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited November 2016
    Read the above posts you may decide you want it without the handles.

There are a few good reasons to get it without the handles. Such as being able to use a wok or spin the grid easily.

Its something I did not see myself doing so I got the handles and have been happy with them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    If the MM Woo is like my small Woo with handles I would opt for no handles so I could use the wok without interference from the handles.   
    Yes. No handles and use a wok.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I got the Woo for my small with handles. Decided later on I wanted to use it with a wok, so I cut the handles off. There are times I still wish I had the handles on so I could pull the whole setup out, but the tradeoff to be able to use the wok with it was worth it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I prefer the no handle option for the wok and cooking grid rotation capabilities.  I can see the need for handles on larger EGGs, though.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • My PSWoo came today with handles. May put it to work this weekend.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group