Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will purchase a large BGE tomorrow. Any suggestions about accessories to buy now? Finished the table this PM

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Budd, a plate setter and a wireless meat probe thermometer, and a pair of Orka gloves, and put TheNakedWhiz's website in your favorite places.
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Budd,[p]Some of these things may come with your Egg depending on your dealer.[p]-Plate Setter is a must have
    -Grid Lifter
    -Ash Tool
    -Starting supplies (cattle prod type or little bricks or chimney starter. Whatever you'd like)
    -Polder style meat thermometer (Cabled leave-in thermometer)
    -Instant read thermometer
    -Grid scraper of your choice (get one that is safe for Porcelain.
    -Lump...lots and lots of Lump.[p]That should save you a few trips to the store (I think I went every day for a couple of weeks)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    Budd,
    i would buy a steak and a six or 12 pack of your favorite beer and get to cooking. plenty of time to decide on accessories. a second grill and a heat barrier and you can cook just about anything

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I just baught a BGE ash rake, it works a lot better than the Mickey Mouse one I made. What is the deal with the wierd hook on the handle end. You can't seem to hang it from anything but a large magnet.

• Unknown
    Options
    Budd,[p]I've had my lg. BGE for 2 weeks. Plate setter, various racks, good gloves, lump, MAPP torch, lump, BBQ Guru and more lump.
    $300 and still counting. Welcome!![p]Good Eggin'

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Budd,
    Large Egg Got-To-Haves: (assuming you have lump charcoal and something to start it with – starter cubes, chimney, electric starter or torch)[p]Plate Setter (you could go with fire bricks or just setting a rack into a pan to achieve an indirect result, but the plate setter is much easier. I am amazed that this “option” does not come with the Egg just like the fire box and ring. To experience the claim of “Worlds Best Smoker” one must use an indirect method and to get that one must have a barrier between the fire and the cooking surface…geeez.).[p]Gloves (I would not go cheap on these – a good pair of “welders” gloves from your near by home center is the best bet as they provide excellent protection from the intense heat the egg produces along with forearm protection -eyebrows are another story -for the unintentional flash back)[p]Ash Tool (again something that should come with the package but a lot of times does not, depending of the dealer. This is not an actual Got to Have as you can cook and clean it out by some other means, but it does make it a whole lot easier)[p]Drip Pans (cheap foil ones will do, but at some point you may want a nice low profile SS)[p]Smoking Wood (chunks, chips or pellets…whatever you are comfortable with - Apple and hickory to start)[p]Food Thermometer (Doesn’t need to be anything fancy to start, but you will want some way to measure the temp of the food)[p]Naked Whiz Thong Underwear (Come on, every one wants to look and feel sexy while egging. Get them two sizes too small to accentuate the little beer gut…oh man that’s hot) [p]What you will want to get eventually:[p]Thermapen (One of the better Instant Read thermometer – not really Instant but at 2 to 3 seconds it is the fasted that I have seen and it is darn accurate)[p]Cast Iron Grill / Grate (Outstanding for searing Steaks and Burgers.)[p]Wireless Thermometer (personal choice here, but a lot folks like the Maverick brand and others like the Weber. These come in real handy during the longer cooks)[p]Power Draft System (I have a BBQ Guru which is the best thing since Ammonia D, but there are other models out there (at least one other that I know of). These things are great for the overnight cooks and takes temperature fluctuation out the excuses for a bad cook.)[p]Mapp Torch (IMHO, the best way to start a fire quickly which also allowing the most control when preparing for a low and slow.)[p]Pizza Stone (don’t have to have it, but it is great for making the pizzas and baking. A lot of different brands out there, but I have had a cheap one from the Mass Market store and it works great)[p]Peel (a device used for moving pizza and breads from the counter to the egg and back.)[p]Raised Grid (allows you to get a bit more space between the food and the fire during direct cooks and the added benefit of increasing cooking space)[p]TelTru Thermometer (a replacement for the BGE supplied thermometer, which if history holds true will need replacing after a couple of high temp cooks. The TruTel brand is very high quality and very accurate)[p]Air Grill – Grill Blower (a good way to manually force air onto the fire – speed up the process or get that baby stoked. Some folks use a cheap battery operated hand held fan, but it hard to beat the Air Grill in both cost and functionality)[p]Lawn Ranger BBQ Tools – at least a grid lifter (a personalized work of art coupled with great functionality – get um all from the Lawn Ranger. Being custom made there is a bit of a wait, so plan accordingly when ordering)[p]Rain Cap (if’n you do any low and slows in the great out doors you will want something to cover the daisy wheel when the showers come…I bought a 7” water heater vent cap from my local home center, which works perfect)[p]Spray Bottles (empty spray bottles that can be filled with stuff to mist your long cooks – great for ribs and such giving them a sprits of apple juice and apple cider vinegar every now and again)[p]Billy Bar (a great tool for cleaning the grill and moving the lump around)[p]Small Metal Trash Can (to place used lump in when cleaning out the Egg or when preparing the Egg for a long cook – take out all the lump and reload with large chunks on the bottom, etc)[p]Cast Iron Griddle (great for breakfast items per Spring Chicken’s breakfast workbook)[p]Wok (don’t use it myself but many folks love to wok on the egg)[p]A Small Egg (a great addition to the large greatly expanding the cooking options)[p]GrateMates (a set-up designed and sold by Chubby of the BGE forum – allows the small egg the same functionality of the large. Get um from Chubby’s Web site)[p]A second Job (got to pay for this stuff some how)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    duckegg,
    i dont have one, so dont really know as i dont even think ive ever seen one

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Save yourself time, effort and angst....and just buy them all....Platesetter, Ash tool, pizza stone, starter cubes, wireless temperature monitor, welder's gloves, grid extender......Just tell your dealer "yes"....and get out your credit card....and let that be it......[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I should have said the Ash Tool, (not Ash Rake), too much spicy food.