Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen poll

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
How many Thermapen owners use their Thermapen to flip food or remove food from the cooking surface? I use it for both. 
Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Nope, got more than enough tools for that plus I cook mostly by feel and just do spot checks of temp as the meat is coming off.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Ummmm.....no and no.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Don't think so... NOT A MULTI-PURPOSE TOOL....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • kl8ton
    Options
    If I probe a BSCB and it's done, I will. 

I don't pull whole chickens or briskets off with it. 

I was just wondering.   I am doing costco chicken breasts right now.  24 pieces.  I lose track. they all finish at different times so I probe before pulling. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I knew I would be in the minority on this.  :smiley:
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I flip!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I haven't yet, but I don't see how it is any different than that tongue meet flipping thing that some use that poke the meat to flip it
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Nope.  I had a fork so-called-instant-read thermometer once, and it was clearly up to the task of flipping, etc., but way slow compared to my Thermapen, and my Thermapen is much thinner, seems like it would be more easily damaged, and... it's expensive!  So nope and nope for me.  I just use it to check temps.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yep and yep. 

I also don't clean out my egg, stack my lump, clean my grates with anything other than a dog and currently have two briskets worth of grease in a drip pan in the large, the oldest of which is 3 weeks old. I may not be a good role model. 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Yep and yep. 

I also don't clean out my egg, stack my lump, clean my grates with anything other than a dog and currently have two briskets worth of grease in a drip pan in the large, the oldest of which is 3 weeks old. I may not be a good role model. 
    But did anyone die?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I haven't yet, but I don't see how it is any different than that tongue meet flipping thing that some use that poke the meat to flip it
    You mean a pig tail flipper? The curl on the flipper gives you control, but a staight probe  on a Thermapen is more of a chance especially if there are any adult beverages involved. One last thought I wonder just how resistant the Thermapen probe is to bending as it is designed to probe, not lift. Anybody want to sacrifice tgeir $90 TP for the answer? Didn't think so!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    No my Thermopen is to pricey . The proper tool for the proper job.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I do both

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    When doing chikken breastesses I always pick them up with tongs and move them up/away and stick the probe in thru the side then I'll place them back on the grill on the flip side or move to a cooler/hotter spot depending on their temp.

Would never even consider stressing the probe/joint of my Thermapen to flip a piece of meat.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Yep and yep. 

But did anyone die?
    Not yet
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    How many Thermapen owners use their Thermapen to flip food or remove food from the cooking surface? I use it for both. 
    Never on purpose. But I have done it on occasion when I checked the temp and the food stuck on the end of the pen. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Maybe to flip chicken wings if I left the tongs inside. Otherwise, no and no.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No and no.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    NEVER. That tip is small and delicate. I have other tools for flipping meat.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    No & No

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nope
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hey all you Thermapen food flippers!  Don't touch my Thermapen at an Eggfest or egghead party unless you desire to know your body temperature "the old school way".  Just sayin'.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Not really flipped food but rolled over many small pieces. Has not hurt it yet.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Yes, but usually not to flip. I use the tongs/spatula for that. But along the same lines of a flip, as I am taking final temp of the meat, if it is ready, I use the therapen to take the meat off.

Example: Avg sized pork chop As The temp approaches 140, once at or above 138 as read by the thermapen - off it goes to the platter using the termapen. Same with hamburgers, avg sized steaks, basically anything that I think would weigh under about 1-1.25 lb. So bacon wrapped filets, tenderloins cut into steaks, hamburgers etc.....

Been doing it for 5 years now....

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have the ThermoPop and I just use to check the temp or if it feels like butter on butts and briskets.  Never thought of using it to flip with.  So no and no here as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SirSquatch
    Options
    Just use mine for temp and texture. 
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I Do--Not like heavier items, but Sausage Chicken ETC..ALL The Time
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Sure, if the item is small enough...I'm not on the verge of bending the probe or anything...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    No to both.  That switch mechanism to turn the unit on is susceptible to stress I think.  I already had one fail on me, and don't want to push my luck with the new Mark 4.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    I think anyone who purposefully misuses such a well designed tool like a $100 Thermopen thermometer for something other than what it designed for is pretty disrespectful.

You are allowed to be as stupid as you want be in this country though.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE