Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying an LBGE in the next few days. Need advice

Options
124»

Comments

• Vegas Eggus
    Options
    I'd consider a different table. I had that exact table and it really didn't hold up very well. Ended up building my own. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
     Also do not buy accessories with the BGE logo you will overpay.

I'd agree, with the exception of the bge pizza stones.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Did anyone mention beer?  :o
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Today is the day!

What are you cooking first? 

I haven't decided. zSince I need to do a burn in of the gasket, I'll probably just do hamburgers and hot dogs. Or maybe some steaks.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Any suggestions of what to put under the Egg stand or on top of the table to prevent heat damage from the hot pieces?

Will a standard large paving stone work under the Egg and a large pice of flooring tile work for the table top?
    buy a table nest from BGE
    I'm getting the table nest. But can it sit on the wood? Os should it also have a paving tile?
    There's still a lot of heat outinder the nest. It's necessary. If my table were wood and not metal I would use a paver or granite under the nest. That's just me though. I was so worried about it I went all metal. 
    I have nothing against taking all the safety precautions you want, but my own set-up is table nest on a wooden table and the table is not any warmer directly under the BGE as it is anywhere else when I've checked.
    Stillwater, MN
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I bet @SaintJohnsEgger is quiet on the board right now because he is putting something together!!!!!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Is it to late to say DON'T?

The BGE is awesome, but you will never be satisfied.  Stick with a gasser and never eat any food cooked on  Kamado.  Just don't do it.  If friends have BGEs forget them.  Move on.

Ignorance is bliss.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Today is the day!

What are you cooking first? 

I haven't decided. zSince I need to do a burn in of the gasket, I'll probably just do hamburgers and hot dogs. Or maybe some steaks.
    You might consider scraping off the factory gasket before you cook on it.  And replace it with a gasket from Ron that will last.

I did this on my last one, and it came off pretty easy since I hadn't cooked with it.

Today is the big day, right?  Have fun.

Phoenix 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I bet @SaintJohnsEgger is quiet on the board right now because he is putting something together!!!!!!!
    Actually I'm watching the Florida-Georgia football game.

My big day will be tomorrow after church. Still trying to decide where to place it and what the first cook will be. wife wants me to do pumpkin bread. But may do burgers first.
    MiniMax 04/17

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Actually I'm watching the Florida-Georgia football game.

My big day will be tomorrow after church. Still trying to decide where to place it and what the first cook will be. wife wants me to do pumpkin bread. But may do burgers first.
    I could never do that......if it was there, I would be trying to light it up already......
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Fire it up and play with the upper and lower vent, get a feel for temps. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger, if your wife likes bread you are in luck. Some people don't like bread cooked in a seasoned egg, so they bake bread after a clean burn, or have a separate egg just for bread. Great angle for a second egg. Just don't clue her in about clean burns.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Any suggestions of what to put under the Egg stand or on top of the table to prevent heat damage from the hot pieces?

Will a standard large paving stone work under the Egg and a large pice of flooring tile work for the table top?
    buy a table nest from BGE
    I'm getting the table nest. But can it sit on the wood? Os should it also have a paving tile?
    There's still a lot of heat outinder the nest. It's necessary. If my table were wood and not metal I would use a paver or granite under the nest. That's just me though. I was so worried about it I went all metal. 
    IMO, all the paver does is provide a place to store the heat and transfer it to the wood. You cannot see whats going on under the stone. I would go with the nest only.
    I just picked up at the dollar store some metal trivets, put hot cast iron, plate setter etc with no problems.  I used a square brick before that but it was scratching the table.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Pics of newly delivered egg? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Pics of newly delivered egg? 

MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    More pics and a complete eggcessories list coming tomorrow along wiht details on my first cook.
    MiniMax 04/17

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nice!  beautiful table
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Good looking egg!  Beautiful table.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Concerning table vs nest - I started years ago with a table from the local dealer, not a BGE table, but one that he sourced locally.  It was a great fit and I was quite happy with it.  A couple of years later, I was awakened by a bright light from my yard and went outside to find the table ablaze.  Thankfully, no damage to the deck or the house.  I replaced the table with a next and a stainless table beside it, along with huge tiles under the next.  That arrangement served me well for years.  Now I'm changing locations and am required to minimize - it will be the next plus the Egg Mates.

The moral of the story, wood tables can and do catch fire.

Kemah, TX
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 for thermopen or thermopop and welder's gloves vs PS lifter
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Knowing what i know now, if i were to start with a L BGE and table today, here is what i would get for accessories and the first part of each list is where to get them from:

CGS:  Spider, stone, adjustable rig, rig extender, round grid for up top, two oval grids, slide guides and crossbars for lower levels, oval stone and oval foil ring, 16" carbon steel wok, two sets of ceramic spacers (0.5" and 1.5"), wok holder ring, a roll of pink butcher paper.

BGE: pizza stone for L., Cast Iron grill grate, spring style grid lifter and pliers style grid lifter.

Thermoworks:  Thermapen.

BBQ Guru: DigiQ controller with meat and oven probe cables, air intake adapter, pit viper fan @ 10CFM.

RRP: Rutland gasket.

Lodge:  Double Dutch 5Q DO and lid/pan combo.

ACE hardware: Weber high heat gloves with silicon coating, charcoal starter chimney.

Restaurant supply store: two pizza peels, one wood and one aluminum, and a large bow-shaped rocker style pizza cutter.

Goodwill:  a $2 hair dryer for stoking fires.

This is a big list and a lot of $$$ but if you had all of these items, you are in business.  You can make pizza, you have capacity and temp control  capability for ribs, brisket, shoulder, and chicken, you can sear on CI and Lodge, you can make multiple levels of potatoes, corn or other grill roasted veggies, you can make veggies in wok or stir fry other items, you can bake, and you have every combination i wished i had over the last few years.....plus you wont waste money on unecessary items that you wont use.  I wish i knew this stuff four years ago, as it wouldve saved me a lot of money and frustration.  Plus, i wouldve gotten so much more utility out of the BGE.

Happy egging!