Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib hrs/lb?

Options
http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html?m=1
So this reverse seat looks great but my piece of meat is 6.7 lbs. how long do you thing mine will take at 225? 
ATL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Here's a great link that will help guide you toward your answer.  
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I usually let mine sit out for an hour and a half and cook hotter like 300ish I don't sear st the end when cooking a roast b/c the surface area of the sear after slicing is so small 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I thought it would take a while but after 2.5 hours it was done.  A little early but foil and the oven kept it warm and then we seated it before serving. Delicious 
    ATL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No pics?  You've been here long enough to know :disappointed:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is one of my favorite cooks for the holidays. I have never had it better than off the BGE. Congrats on the Phantom cook. =)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    NPHuskeeFL hungry family = devoured before I could pull out the phone
    ATL
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    How about a picture of the pears that I made for.dessert? These are not them, they are the ones I made last time. Still tasted amazing. 
    ATL
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    Tonight's cook is a test run of BBQ turkey breastI've always done on the gas grill. Thinking of throwing some apple chips with it. 
    ATL
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I cooked a 7 lb Prime Rib to 110 degrees at 250 degree oven and it took four hours. Make sure you tie the roast so that it is as round as you can get it because you want it to cook from all sides toward the center. If it has the bones cut them off and put them in the pan under the roast. Also make sure the roast it up to or higher then the edge of te pan so heat can get to all sides evenly. Watch it with a thermometer and take it off when it reaches 110 degrees cover it on top of the stove and let it rise to 120 degrees while you roast some asparagus and make some baked potatoes. Enjoy a perfect Prime Rib Roast cooked Medium Rare from the outside to the inside.
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    This was 6.7 lbs and it was done in 2.5 hours at 250 dome temp. My mother who has cooked for longer than I've been alive said that big pieces of meat can "take off" and cook faster. She used to do some large parties with prime ribs in the oven and has seen it happen before. 
    ATL
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    This was 6.7 lbs and it was done in 2.5 hours at 250 dome temp. My mother who has cooked for longer than I've been alive said that big pieces of meat can "take off" and cook faster. She used to do some large parties with prime ribs in the oven and has seen it happen before. 

It may have been 250 at the dome but warmer at the grate. I am going to do one on the egg next time and have a new Thermoworks Smoke thermometer that will monitor grate and meat. So I will have to see how the grate and down look. Long as it turned out awesome good that's all the really counts.
  • Manvsmolar
    Options
    Grate temps def are different then dome temps.  Also throw in radiating heat that builds up in the ceramic and cooking goes quick. If it always turns out this good I won't complain. My guru made the point that over long cooks 25-50 degree temps swings won't make that big a difference and so far he's been right. You have to be very zen dude about the egg. Patience is def key. 
    ATL