Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer placement question

Options
Am backing out my thermometer so it won't hit the top of the food on a second grid. Moving the clip to the outside.  How much/what length of the thermometer has to be inside the grill to give good temp reading? What is the least amount of probe that should be sticking into the grill on the inside?

Comments

• fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options
    firstbase said:
    Am backing out my thermometer so it won't hit the top of the food on a second grid. Moving the clip to the outside.  How much/what length of the thermometer has to be inside the grill to give good temp reading? What is the least amount of probe that should be sticking into the grill on the inside?
    Check out this thread.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2047244#Comment_2047244

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• firstbase
    firstbase Posts: 19
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bingo, thanks! Played around with it some, probably too much. Have the clip on the outside now but my readings are whacked. Showing 450 on the grill with my Maverick (I believe it is called) and 575 on the dome thermometer.  Hope my fussing with it didn't damage it somehow. Thats a large gap in temp.  The clip was pushing so hard it angled the probe and temp "hand" so much that the temp hand was rubbing the glass and going up in fits/big jumps.  Backed off a little and it seemed ok but now the weird readings....
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I have about an inch of the probe sticking out of my egg. Never had an issue with this arrangement 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• firstbase
    firstbase Posts: 19
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking that the clip should hold it tight to the grill like it does when it is inside but now..not so much.  When you put the clip on the outside its held, at least in great part, by gravity correct? The clip is more of a spacer?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep, that and friction. It's not gonna fall out. I haven't used a clip in 7 years. I use a wine cork as a spacer. No idea what happened to my clip.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I prefer the ones that go under your arm. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    I took the clip off of mine.  When I do need to raise it up, I use one of those alligator clips that is used for electrical wires that I clip to the thermometer on the outside of the dome.  I raise the thermometer up to the indentation on the stem to the inside of the dome and then put the alligator clip on.  Works great.