Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use of Burned Down Charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After starting with a fresh batch of charcoal, and then cooking with it several times, it gradually burns down to the point that it is all very small pieces. With all the small stuff, the fire doesn't get very hot. I'm wondering if most people add some large chunks and keep using the small until the burn it completely, or if they dump it in the garbage and start with a fresh bag. Would someone tell me what is the normal process?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    most of the time i stir new into old.
    if they are really small, i sometimes spread them on top of a purpose-built lo-and-slo pile.[p]less because i'm cheap, and more because it's easier to get rid of ash than chunks of lump, even small ones

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Funny you mention that. [p]Last night, we were having steak and after stirring up the remaining lump, I found myself using large pieces to make a pyramid, making sure smaller ones fill in some of the gaps. [p]Once the starter cube was going well, I added several large chucks of lump and the egg was a 700 degrees in no time.[p]This method leaves one hand a bit dirty, but it doesn't bother me![p]Smokey
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Unless it's a long cook, I will pull the little stuff to one side of the firebox and add some new lump on the other side. Then I scoop the little pieces on to the top and spread it around. You should see my fingernails. After 10 or so cooks, I clean everything out completely but I still save those little pieces and sprinkle them on top of the next load of fresh lump.
    Paul

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I've found an old pair of tongs comes in quite handy for handling lump at the grill. I use them to pull lump out of the bag as well as pulling old lump out of the Egg to be reused. They have cut down on my black hands.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I normally remove the old lump to a "sifter bucket" and add fresh lump to the egg. Depending on how much left over lump there is, I put some or all in a chimey starter with any remaining going on the new lump.[p]BTW, I did a Quesadilla on the egg the other day. Used corn tortillas and queso Quesadilla. Cooked it with a little oil in a cast iron frying pan with a surface temperature of 350-360 measured with an infared thermometer. The dome was about 300. Setup was direct with grid at standard height. [p]If it had been a flour tortilla, it would have worked great. The GF can't eat wheat, so it had to be corn which ended up very chewy and tough. :-( The cheese melted out a little and turned a nice golden brown. It was better than the tortilla. [p]This experiment tells me I'd use a pan or griddle for sure. Burning cheese doesn't smell good and the smoke would get into the tortillas.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    Wow, a surface temp of 350 with a dome temp of 300? My egg is backwards - normally my dome temp is higher the surface temp (as measured at the grate). The guru says 225 and the TelTru says 250.[p]Oh well, at least it works.

• Unknown
    Options
    SSLadle_DSCF09653587.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,[p] I sort and use like most here on the Forum. [p] I hate the black hands and fingernails as well and found the following works very well. I had a fairly stout SS ladle and carefully BENT the flat handle ... right above the 'cup' ... so it is almost an extension of the flat handle. It is just perfect for emptying the firebox charcoal .... even down to very samll pieces. The only ones left fall through the grate. I don't think I could design a tool to do the job any better![p] This was actually done some time ago for my wife to use in her wok cooking. The Stainless is so easy to clean, she doesn't mind a bit when I use it on the BGE.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    100_0849.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,
    just put some ribs on a small amount of spent lump. maybe a coffee cans worth. going for the record with the smallest amount of lump for a cook. we will see when i get home tonight if it worked. almost had some frog legs to go on too. i usually have some small spent lump saved for making jerky
    100_0847.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] I'm thinkin' ... good eats! .... it's a bit of a drive, but what time is dinner? May be still time to throw on some of those frog legs?[p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Great picture! I see a photo contest entry with this one.
    Seth

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    We do smoked tuna and cheese with either spent or slow startup. Keeps the tuna from drying out or the cheese from melting too much. Use a mild wood like pecan for the tuna and whatever you have for the cheese.[p]Back bay tuna dipping sauce:
    1 part sour cream
    1 part mayo
    1 teaspoon dijon
    1 teaspoon horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon old bay[p]adjust as you like[p]BF

• Unknown
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    I've tried everything over the years but nothing is as fast or efficient as hands in the firebox. Just have to keep the Lava handy![p]BF

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Even while good bird dogs, my Brits liked deer, squirrel, rabbits, and anything else with fir. I don't recall them ever pointing a frog, even in the Virginia swamps! This is a great photo!
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Are you saying you are getting 5/6 hours of 250 temp out of a coffee can of small lump? Wow! I'm not throwing out any lump from now on. Tom

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Black Fingers,
    Or Go Jo

• Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I think "normal" is whatever works for you.[p]I always save the left-over charcoal and re-use it over fresh, especially when I want a "low and slow". The left-over charcoal can get as hot as fresh, but I found it is less likely to flare up - That's why I like it for a "low and slow" - Roast, ribs, chicken, etc.[p]
    Monica

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    OR ..... disposable latex gloves!![p]Sold at most paint supply stores for cheap.

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]That is the perfect for making Jerky. You want the "grey" pieces for Jerky because it is easy to keep around 185 degrees and doesn't contaminate your meat with the "chemical" taste that new charcoal does. SO MAKE SOME JERKY!!!!
  • FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Is that your dog on the egg?
    Just wondering. Ha!

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman, what a great pic of the pooch and frog. You should frame it and hang it.

• Unknown
    Options
    If I'm understanding the answers, it appears that most everyone that answered uses the small stuff until it burns to ash, that it serves well for low and slow, that to get a hot fire with it some new larger pieces are mixed in. Many thanks for the replies. Surely helps to learn how other peope do things.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]I think the direct radation from the lump made the surface of the cast iron heat up more and cast iron also stores heat really well. [p]When I do low and slow with an inverted plate setter, I get a lower temp like you mentioned when measured by a probe like a guru's. However, the surface of the plate setter will likley be higher than the temp the guru measures.