Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Help

Okay.....so I am getting myself ready for Thanksgiving already and venturing into Dizzy Pig to get the Mad Max Turkey Seasoning, but of course, can;t order just one item.......question for the group..

Would you recommend just getting the 14 pack of all  the originals (I know Mad Max will be additional), or is there a 'best 4 or best 7" I should go with instead?

Appreciate the insight and recommendations.....
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Just got my first rub of theirs in the mail today.  So not sure.  I went with Raging River.  It has a different smell that most rubs. Most rubs have the typical pepper/paprika smell.  This one smells really nice.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited October 2016
    Buy the sample packs 1st. Everything DP makes is good, so it is worth trying them all. I suppose there will be some you like more than others. Some are really good for specific dishes. But, part of DP's excellence is the freshness. If you buy whole bottles, you may find that some don't get used before they fade, unless you freeze them.

After some years, I still dust Ragin' River on my buttered English toasts for breakfast. You may find a blend you like as much. Save your $ for what you gotta' have.

• It is all great stuff. My favorites are Tsunami Spin and Swamp Venom.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I just got the Mad Max and used it on chicken breasts last night to great review from the wife and in-laws.  The other Dizzy Pig offerings I use a lot are Raging River (poultry, pork, salmon), Red Eye Express (pork, chuck roast, lamb, butternut squash), Shakin the Tree (poultry, veggies), and Tsunami Spin (fish, poultry).

I've had the Cajun and the Jamaican firewall and they're pretty good, but I just didn't use them enough to keep getting them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    They are all great. My favorites are pineapple head, dizzy dust, shakin the tree, cowlick and raisin the steaks.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    So you can't really go wrong with buying them all. I have most, used Mediterraneanish today for the first time. Wow my wife and I really enjoyed it. 
    VA Beach
  • VB_egger
    I have also found when I use pineapple head and have people over they always ask what I used to season. 
    VA Beach
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    I'm leaning towards Mad Max of course, then raging river, cowlick, swamp venom and dizzy dust. 

Figure those four will work in pretty much anything and will be the most versatile. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • VB_egger
    Those all sound good. Check out tsunami spin too. Very versatile. 
    VA Beach
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nothing in this world wrong with Swamp Venom

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    You aren't going to get a bad Dizzy Pig rub, but in my opinion you will want to make your selections based on different types of meat.  I would suggest Raging River for all seafood, either cowlick or raising the steaks for beef, and Swamp Venom for pork.  I would also get Dizzy Dust as a great all-round, use on anything rub.  Finally, I would get Pineapple Head for fruit and non meat sides.  It is very unique.  If you are a fajita man, try the fajitaish rub.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • I'm a big fan of Cowlick. Never knew how good I had it with Dizzy right down the road. I can't wait for their new place!
    Northern VA - LBGE
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Cowlick and dizzy dust are a must IMO. I also use raging River , tsunami spin, and pineapple head 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I've really been enjoying the Mediterranean ish. It's great for when you don't want the paprika flavors
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    All of his seasonings are tasty, as the others have said, but I really like Pineapple Head for fruit salad. It's better if you make it a day ahead and let it meld.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I haven't found a DP rub I haven't liked. Pineapple Head is good on vanilla ice cream. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Agreed, try the sample pack. However, for what it's worth my personal favourites are pineapple head and Jamaican firewalk. I find their rubs to all have a similar base. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I strongly suggest trying the sampler pack first.  I am sold on Dizzy Pig but IMHO not all their rubs were created equal.  Cow Lick is an example of one I would not get.  It is not bad but there are far better beef rubs.

Raging River, Jamaican Firewalk (if you like jerk) and Dizzy Dust are "must have" (in that order).

Happy Nancy is good with kids.

I personally like Swamp Venom a lot but SWMBO doesn't...

Pineapple Head is another one that I like but it is more "limited" in the way that it can be used.

Start with the sample pack.  My favorites are Dizzy Dust + Swam Venom for pork (ribs and shoulder), Raising the Steaks for beef,  Ragin' River for salmon, and Pineapple Head for fruit.  Simply Zensational, which they made for Big Green Egg, is a great additive to all kinds of Asian style marinades.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • We started off with a sampler pack and went from there. I suggest raging river for fish or even shrimp. Raising the steaks is our favorite for beef. I liked the red eye express mixed with it. Swamp venom is good on wings or even corn on the cob! Dizzy dust is goodfor all around pork rub. Hell they are all pretty good! Each has its own uniqueness. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    My standard three are Dizzy Dust, Raising the Steaks, and Raging River. Those handle almost everything. If you have room in your freezer, keep them there. That's what I do, and they stay fresher that way.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • tikigriller
    Finally arrived!!  Can't wait to taste the new flavors!!  Which one if any of these would you put on a brisket?

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    Finally arrived!!  Can't wait to taste the new flavors!!  Which one if any of these would you put on a brisket?

Of the ones you have there, Cow Lick. But really, for a brisket, I would just use salt and pepper, maybe a bit of garlic. Lowry's seasoned salt can work mixed in as well. Then you can save the Cow Lick for steaks and burgers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tikigriller
    DMW said:

Of the ones you have there, Cow Lick. But really, for a brisket, I would just use salt and pepper, maybe a bit of garlic. Lowry's seasoned salt can work mixed in as well. Then you can save the Cow Lick for steaks and burgers.
    That's actually what I was thinking right after I posted that!  

When you do the salt salt and pepper, do you do 50/50?  I have never made a rub in my life besides mixing lawreys seasoned salt and lowrys pepper, so the mixture rates confuse and worry me that I will do too much salt or something that will ruin it. 

Similar to how quickly Orgeat Syrup can destroy a great rum drink if you miss the mark!

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW said:

When you do the salt salt and pepper, do you do 50/50?  I have never made a rub in my life besides mixing lawreys seasoned salt and lowrys pepper, so the mixture rates confuse and worry me that I will do too much salt or something that will ruin it. 

Similar to how quickly Orgeat Syrup can destroy a great rum drink if you miss the mark!
    Yes, for a basic brisket rub, 50/50 salt pepper. Supposedly Franklin uses the following (in ounces)
    • 6 parts course black pepper
    • 3 parts Kosher salt
    • 3 parts Lawry's
    • 2 parts granulated garlic

I've used that and it's really good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    DMW said:

Word on the street is that if you are going to do 50/50 salt/pepper be sure to do it on WEIGHT not volume. If you do it based on volume that will be a very very salty piece of meat.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW

Oh, and some input on the other rubs you have there. Swamp Venom is great on wings and crackers (http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/swamp-crackers/). Raging River was made for salmon, but is also good on chicken and pork chops, and pork ribs. Dizzy Dust is a great all around rub, good on butts and ribs. I haven't tried the Mad Max turkey rub yet, so no personal input on that one from me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tikigriller
    Thanks again as always!!!!  Very helpful. I need to nail this brisket. He is a Traeger Boy, so I have me some proving to do this weekend!!  Gonna add some of those Augraten potatoes that bumped up today as well!!  The Egg karma is already kicking up things for me to convince. My goal is for him to own an Egg by April!

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    HeavyG said:
    DMW said:

Word on the street is that if you are going to do 50/50 salt/pepper be sure to do it on WEIGHT not volume. If you do it based on volume that will be a very very salty piece of meat.

Yep, get a digital scale if you don't already have one. A tablespoon of Kosher salt is way less than a tablespoon of fine sea salt. As is a tablespoon of fine grind pepper vs course grind pepper. And if you grind your own pepper, who knows how that compares to the recipe you were using. Weight makes all things equal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tikigriller
    There you go after my wallet again 

Livermore, California