Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck on the BGE? Anyone done this?

my local butcher had a few birds, so I bought one. Has anyone cooked/smoked a duck? Any suggestions?

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Just do it :)

if you want to do it whole just give it a nice indirect roast with something like pecan or maple. You can score the skin to hopefully let some of the rendering fat out. And you may want an air-gapped drip tray underneath as a lot of fat will render. I like an orange glaze, other berries are a nice pairing too. 

My problem with whole duck is that by the time I get the fat rendered, the breast has really over cooked.

let us know how it turns out!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Keep us posted. Its been on my BGE bucket list for a while now. A favorite restaurant serves a smoked duck breast on its charcuterie plate and it's fantastic. The meat is never dry and the fat cap is full of smoke flavor. I don't know how to "cook"/smoke the breast and keep the fat intact. Let's see those pics
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It's been done, make it new brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Duck is one of those cooks that you do with the BGE lid open in a cast iron skillet using direct heat to cook the breast through whilst crisping the skin with the rendered fat. You may need to flip the breast once or twice to achieve your goal.

I've cooked organic free range puddle duck groceries harvested with a gun in this manner and they are wonderful.

Just don't overcook these delicacies or you may never want another one...
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Definately looking forward to trying this... 
    Hopefully will be moved in my house and have everything set up then
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Duck fat is liquid gold
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As above, there will be lots of fat, so you will want a good sized drip pan. The fat is great, but it absorbs lots of smoke. I usually cut out any extra, and render that separately for frying 'taters. Also, I diamond slice the skin.
    Also, it is a good idea to air dry the bird in the fridge for a day to help crisp the skin. Light wood smoke, pecan for me usually. Last 1 I did, I stuffed some "craisins" in. The tartness went well with the unctuous meat.

• Duck at Thanksgiving

I did three duck at about 300ish degrees for three and a half hours then 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Would do it half hour at 400 degrees instead. Some of the legs weren't fully rendered of fat, but rather have breasts done right and then finish the legs under the broiler. Used a glaze of S & F Raspberry Chipotle Sauce the last 10 minutes. Would do it for five minutes next time. Ducks were between 5 3/4 and 6 1/4 lb rubbed with Chinese Five Spice and salt. Used cherry chunks for smoking most of which burned off within the first hour. I haven't figured out where to place the thermometer on ducks as my digital always seems to register to high. Consequently I determine doneness by moving the leg. If it moves easily, it's done.  Pics show after carving, off the drill and just getting started.

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited November 2016
    I smoked two Mallards that a work colleague shot.  Tea Smoked Duck.  This was a massive hit.  Used Cherry, which resulted in a gorgeous color.  

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tea-smoked-duck
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited November 2016
    @Redroverma - welcome. Nice first post, great pics.

Cooked indirect? Did you rub the ducks with five spice from the beginning, and then put the glaze over the rub just before the end?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Duck at Thanksgiving

I did three duck at about 300ish degrees for three and a half hours then 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Would do it half hour at 400 degrees instead. Some of the legs weren't fully rendered of fat, but rather have breasts done right and then finish the legs under the broiler. Used a glaze of S & F Raspberry Chipotle Sauce the last 10 minutes. Would do it for five minutes next time. Ducks were between 5 3/4 and 6 1/4 lb rubbed with Chinese Five Spice and salt. Used cherry chunks for smoking most of which burned off within the first hour. I haven't figured out where to place the thermometer on ducks as my digital always seems to register to high. Consequently I determine doneness by moving the leg. If it moves easily, it's done.  Pics show after carving, off the drill and just getting started.

They look great! Try one inverted on the stand sometime.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Some people cook duck to medium rare, others cook it like a butt( cook until probes tender.)  I have tried method 1 and will not do it again.  I am looking for an excuse to try #2. 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    My biggest cooking failure on the Egg happened about 8 years ago when I tried to cook a few duck breasts. I decided to cook direct at fairly high heat to crisp the skin and render some of the fat. The problem was that as soon as the fat began to render into the fire the Egg started to belch huge amounts of thick smoke. Every time I lifted the lid (no matter how carefully) the oxygen starved fire would explode into flame. As it turned out, one of my neighbours was having a few friends over to enjoy a backyard party at the time this was going on. Even though my Egg cooking never bothered my neighbours, the smoke was blowing right into his yard, and it was A LOT of smoke. At least I was thoughtful enough to balance all that smoke with some very salty language. I shut it all down and when the fire was good and out I took the dead duck inside to cook it on the stove. That was my last time cooking duck.

So don't cook duck direct.