Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn

Options
Started a new job and bit been able to use the egg much. ..doing a couple of buts today but when I opened the egg it reminded me I should probably do a clean burn since I've had it 3 years and not done one yet...any suggestions? also, are you pretty much resigning the fact you'll be replacing the gasket afterwards since temps will be in 900° range? 

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Don't go to 900, no need.  Stay around 500-600.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options

agree with @RedSkip no need to get up to 900, whenever I do a clean burn I typically time it around doing a high heat cook, such as pizzas or steaks.  This way you can heat up to egg to the proper cooking temperature and let it settle there for 1-3 hours prior or after your cook.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • MadDAWG
    MadDAWG Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks Red Skipper & Bart1434....so gasket should be OK then?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Just a little common logic for you to consider. If you do egg pizzas and steaks say clear up to 500 then why do you think 500 will be sufficient to do a clean burn? Why do you have a build up if you have already been to 500? Yes I'm in the inferno group and 900 and above is my number, but suit yourself.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...Yes I'm in the inferno group and 900 and above is my number, but suit yourself.
    Says the guy that sells gaskets.
       If you have the original gaskets they will take a lot of heat, but will likely not be the same after an inferno clean burn.

If you buy a gasket from @RRP it will stand up to a clean burn, and still be just as effective afterwards.

I suggest you take it to 700º for an hour, then extinguish the fire by closing the vents. Everything in the lower half should be white again, except the top ridge of the fire bowl where the plate setter goes. 

The top half will still be black, but after cooling the soot will be easy to remove with your grill brush, or a large ball of aluminum foil.

I don't think it's worth the hassle of a gasket exchange to get the top half white again. Keep it black, who cares? Remove the buildup, and Egg On. It's not important (to me) that the top be white, as long as soot buildup doesn't fall off onto my next cook, so remove that stuff and live with a black top interior.

If you do cook the gaskets, the one that @RRP sells is the last gasket you'll have to replace. Well worth the price he asks in durability.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    I normally sear my steaks and do my pizzas above 500, usually in the 650-700+ range.  I figure if I am getting my egg up that hot, why not let it ride another 1-2 hours to clean out the egg.  It has worked for me and my original gasket up to this point.  I have also had an oh sh*t moment and let it run well past that temp and my gasket has been fine.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • MadDAWG
    Options
    I let mine get up to 900° one on accident too and figured I had cooked the gasket, but no issues. ..but I want sure at those Temps for several hours. ..I know the time is coming I'll have to replace it, but not looking forward to it
  • Roebuck
    Roebuck Posts: 45
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    RRP said:
    ...Yes I'm in the inferno group and 900 and above is my number, but suit yourself.
    Says the guy that sells gaskets.

lol!
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just a little common logic for you to consider. If you do egg pizzas and steaks say clear up to 500 then why do you think 500 will be sufficient to do a clean burn? Why do you have a build up if you have already been to 500? Yes I'm in the inferno group and 900 and above is my number, but suit yourself.

I frequently cook between 500 and 600 degrees doing steaks, pizzas, etc. However, it does not stay at that temp long enough to clean the inside. When I decide it needs to be burned off inside because of buildup, I usually just do a 500 to 600 cook and then let it stay there for a couple of hours after removing the food. That does the trick for me. I just don't see a need to risk cracking something because of a 900 or above temp if I don't need to. Just my logic. I know others disagree.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    RRP said:
    Why run the risk of damaging the ceramics?  Sure we have warranties but that doesn't mean you need to intentionally damage the equipment, because we can.  500-600F for 20 minute pizza cooks (multiple pizzas) doesn't clean.  

+1 @smokeyw

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'm in the no more than 700ºF camp, but keep it there for as long as you can. Like sous vide, it is a function of time and temp, 2 or 3 hours at 700ºF should do the trick and your gasket (and ceramics) will not be harmed.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    +1 for @smokeyw - this: However, it does not stay at that temp long enough to clean the inside. When I decide it needs to be burned off inside because of buildup, I usually just do a 500 to 600 cook and then let it stay there for a couple of hours after removing the food.

I usually just let a steak cook temp of 550-600 go 3-4 hours after I'm done to clean out. Everything doesn't get sparkling white, but all the heavy gunk is cleared and I don't burn that much lump. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Screw it....just buy a new Egg.  They come clean and with new gaskets.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cooking off the gunk with a clean burn is like cooking anything else - time and temp.  Temps of 600ºF and above will burn off any of the organic material you are trying to make go away.  It just takes longer at 600º than it does at 900º.  By the way, how do you know its 900º?  The stock thermometer maximum is 750º, anything past that is guessing subject to thermometer damage.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I burn it at 600 for a couple of hours, but I'm not looking for white ceramic when I'm done. Just burn off some of the gunk. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
      By the way, how do you know its 900º?  The stock thermometer maximum is 750º, anything past that is guessing subject to thermometer damage.
    Years ago I switched to 1,000º Tel-Trus.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @MadDAWG - Is the desire for a clean burn because you are sensing that the gourmet crustiness and creosote on the inside is impacting your output or is it because its time?  If the former, then sort thru the above and give it a go, if the latter-sit back and wait til the former.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MadDAWG
    Options
    @lousubcap...the latter. if anyone else til a look they'd likely recuse to eat any food cooked on it lol. ..it's a black greasy mess 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No sense playing with a major variable if not an imperative but your call.  BTW the end of Daylight saving time is soon here-much less time for the visuals  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Unless you have crusty stuff on the dome a clean burn is not neeeded. If you've done a bunch of LnS and want to rid the grease than fire it to 600-650 and let it go for a couple hours.  No need to go nuclear despite what you have been told.  Once it's cooled down take a foil ball and lightly scrub the dome of any leftover flakes.  All will be good.  

I've never understood the need/want for white ceramics when they will be black once you cook with them again.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

The dome on my small may look greasy but its the base that gets nasty. Lit up the small after a several months of non-use and the base pushed out grease on a 500* plus cleaning.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I cracked a ceramic in my XL and suspect it was due to a 'nuclear' burn off.
    Temp wrapped BACK AROUND to PAST 50c.  

I'd suspect that ANY temp higher than 'usual' will produce SOME burn off.   So, while I regularly cook at say…..400……A good dose of 600 will produce a cleaning effect.   

Here's my dead ceramic.   It is the lower piece and has been closest to a number of pizza cooks and one nuclear burn off.  You can see how clean it is here!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I just don't really worry about any of it.
    NOLA