Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Le Creuset dutch oven

Options
Contemplating asking for a Le Creuset for Christmas. I have been looking at enameled cast iron round dutch oven. I believe I have narrowed it down between the 7.25 quart and the 9 quart. Hoping for some advice from forum members who own. I am leaning towards the 7.25 quart as being plenty big considering I will cook most large meats on the egg... but then again, I only want to buy one.. so what's the perfect size? (family of 4 with occasional meals for up to 8-10). Also, would a 9 quart still fit well on a standard cooktop or is it to big? Thanks for the advice!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I would research Staub. It's just a hair better IMO and typically just a hair below in cost. I prefer my Staub to my Le Creuset because of the matt black interior finish. This finish seems to work much more like typical cast iron than the shiny finish of my Le Creuset.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We love our 8 quart oval shaped Le Creuset.  We have a smaller round one but find that we use the larger one more often.  @Thatgrimguy above is a serious cook so I would look into what he suggests as well. One thing about the light colored interior of our Le Creuset is that it stains.  And you really don't have to worry about a large one fitting on the burner because the thickness of the metal really spreads the heat nicely. 

I've heard a joke about divorce cases where the biggest fight is over the Le Creusets.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Why not look at lodge? 
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Here's a photo of my 8 Qt on the stove with can of soda for size/scale.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i own several enameled cast iron dutch ovens. the lecrueset shines on a good simmer plate, for use in an egg though the lodge and the knockoffs work just as well.  for egg use get the lodge, there is no justification buying the lecrusett or other high end enameled dutch ovens for egg use. in the egg environment over lump charcoal the lodge works just as good, even my cheap marshalls knockoff works well in the egg. i see no advantage to upgrade this for egg use. now if you have a high end range with simmer plates go for the lecrueset or staub where the tighter tolerance stands out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JethroVA
    Options
    We've never used our Le Creuset in the egg.   I am reminded of what happened when I used my wife's favorite pyrex to cook a brisket in the egg back in July 2014. While it was a cooking success, Here is my comment from the post..."Update: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try this at home using your wife's best Pyrex. (out of disposable aluminum pans) Took me 15 minutes off steel wooling to restore it to its pristine condition. Whew, thought I was gonna be banished to Lackonookie Island for a week."
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Yup I second that . . our 8 QT le crueset is for inside & 8 QT bare cast iron lodge for egg.

I learned the hard way using our new le crueset on the Egg, got super dirty and needed to scrub for days to clean outside.  Wife was not happy, as ours sits on the range when not in use.

I am looking into 
    Staub now as I am curious about Grim Guy's favorite choice .   As Jethro said . . he knows his stuff! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I have a lodge dutch oven for egg, etc. I am interested in the Enameled for kitchen use only. 7.25 quart or 9 quart?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I just cant imagine how a le creuset is worth 5-6 x the price if a comparable enameled Lodge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I find I use my 5 more than my 7 but nice to know I have the 7 when I need it.
    Thatgrimguy said, I also have a Staub and it's my favorite.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

What does everyone think about enameled vs bare cast iron DO for things like chili... I keep reading comments that you shouldn't simmer acidic foods in bare cast iron, which would be the argument for getting enameled. But I've made chili several times in my large egg in my bare cast iron lodge DO and didn't notice any metallic flavor, and it seemed to clean and reseason after I was done cooking in it just fine...

Plus, with my new egg obsession, the wife will kill me if I keep buying cookware without a good place to store it! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    JacksDad said:

What does everyone think about enameled vs bare cast iron DO for things like chili... I keep reading comments that you shouldn't simmer acidic foods in bare cast iron, which would be the argument for getting enameled. But I've made chili several times in my large egg in my bare cast iron lodge DO and didn't notice any metallic flavor, and it seemed to clean and reseason after I was done cooking in it just fine...

Plus, with my new egg obsession, the wife will kill me if I keep buying cookware without a good place to store it! 

i get a severe metallic taste and a painful twinge from tomatoes cooked over a long period in cast iron. but then again no problems with chili, theres no tomatoes in chili =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Staub's are fine too. The only disadvantage I find with Staub is the interior finish. I see no difference between the 2 in terms of performance. In terms of disadvantage, the dark interior doesn't let you see fond very well so it is easy to burn it, lending a bitter flavor to whatever you are cooking. I use my LC mostly for braising dishes so fond is an important component. 

I use my LC on my egg with impunity. Just rub some dish soap on the outside before cooking and the creosote rinses right off.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Still kicking myself over this one. I saw a CL add a couple of weeks ago for two Le Creuset DOs, a 3 or 4 qt and a 7. $125 for both! Pics looked great. About 90 minutes away and I just didn't want 'em that bad. Wish I had now. They even matched the LC stuff I already have...from the days before CL, saw an ad in the paper for 11 pieces for $50. All CI except a ceramic pie plate. I don't use most of it, but the 3 qt DO is awesome! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    We have a 7 quart LC for indoors, have had it for many years it is my favorite pot for braising.   I also have a 7 quart lodge for the egg, a fraction of the cost of the LC and works perfectly for the egg.  I store it when not in use in the shed.
    Edina, MN

• Action_Hank
    Options

I use my LC on my egg with impunity. Just rub some dish soap on the outside before cooking and the creosote rinses right off.
    This doesn't impart a soapy taste on the food if the lids off the pot?
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

This doesn't impart a soapy taste on the food if the lids off the pot?
    Not in my experience. You could also wrap the pot in aluminum foil. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    One word of caution. When you say standard cooktop, is it gas or electric? If it's gas, you're good to go. If it's electric, you really need to not exceed the diameter of your eye. I have a lot of CI, both enameled and non-enameled. I have a Lodge 9 qt. that I use on the propane Expedition, the indoor oven, or the egg, but not inside on a burner. If in doubt, use your IR gun and you will see that any part of the DO or skillet that overshoots the diameter of you electric eye will be at least 10 degrees cooler than the part over the eye. That may not be important, depending on what you are cooking though.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Dredger said:
    One word of caution. When you say standard cooktop, is it gas or electric? If it's gas, you're good to go. If it's electric, you really need to not exceed the diameter of your eye. I have a lot of CI, both enameled and non-enameled. I have a Lodge 9 qt. that I use on the propane Expedition, the indoor oven, or the egg, but not inside on a burner. If in doubt, use your IR gun and you will see that any part of the DO or skillet that overshoots the diameter of you electric eye will be at least 10 degrees cooler than the part over the eye. That may not be important, depending on what you are cooking though.
    Yeah, I currently have a electric cooktop :s . I'll need to measure. That is part of my dilemma on the 7.25 qt or 9 qt... and also why I was looking at round vs. oval. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have 7.25 qt. LC that I use for chili.  That is a good size for me for that purpose.  I have not had any problem getting the inside clean.  I do have to do a lot of scrubbing to get the outside clean.  I cooked this yesterday.  I put foil around it.  I don't think it helped about the cleaning very much.  Here are four photos.
  • Nebraskaegger
    Options
    I have the 9 quart round oven and love it.  I cook for a family of six and it is the perfect size for us.  Also, it fits just fine on a standard kitchen range.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have had a 9qt round for about 10 yrs now.  Use it all the time.  The enamel on the bottom is getting worn, will have to replace some day.  It fits perfectly in the Large.  I just wrap some foil over it for easy clean up.

We have an outlet store here in STL:.....lots of good deals on them.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just two comments. I picked up the Staub in the store and found it is MUCH heavier (empty) than the Le Creuset...a deal breaker for me, especially with the weight of food added to it.

Also, like @Photo Egg, I've heard that putting detergent on the outside of LC before cooking on the Egg makes it easy to clean. And I can't imagine food in an open pot tasting soapy from it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've got a 2 #12 Lodges with legs.
    6qt Lodge enamel, bargain cave
    6qt Lecreuset enamel(mom's), vintage 2.75qt saucepan and 2 qt DO.

The Lodge enamel is a two-tone brown, the creosote blends in. 

Le Creuset has been cranking out top notch products since 1925, Griswold quality in France.  They win, hands down.

Bang for your buck, Lodge enamel.

7 qt is the ideal size IMO.  Beyond that, get a good quality stock pot.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    To the OP's question: will a whole chicken fit, with veggies, in the 7.25-quart?  If so that's what I personally go for.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart I got for a gift. I think it's a 7 qt. . You can pick them up for round 65 bucks at Home Goods . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I have a Cuisinart I got for a gift. I think it's a 7 qt. . You can pick them up for round 65 bucks at Home Goods . 
    Once in a while, I see LC stuff at Home Goods too. Also, All-Clad. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Dredger said:
    Yeah, I currently have a electric cooktop :s . I'll need to measure. That is part of my dilemma on the 7.25 qt or 9 qt... and also why I was looking at round vs. oval. 
    I have an 11qt le Creuset dutch oven. It fit fine on my large electric coil top burner. I've never seen any pot on any burner that is going to always have a 0° gradient across its entire surface anyway.

I don't know where the cutoff point is but once their pots get to a certain size the diameter does not keep increasing - the pots just get taller/deeper.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would get the smaller one. It will make it easier on you since it will probably be your favorite for cooking.  A 7.5 is pretty big. I guess it also matters how many you cook for . 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I would research Staub. It's just a hair better IMO and typically just a hair below in cost. I prefer my Staub to my Le Creuset because of the matt black interior finish. This finish seems to work much more like typical cast iron than the shiny finish of my Le Creuset.
    ^^^^^^ Staub.