Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New smoker...in the style of That Grim Guy

Options
2»

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I think they are 1-2 inch insulated boxes.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice Chris! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    How thick is the wall on that firebox?  And in the cooking chambers?
    I think the chamber is 3/8 in steel and the insulated box is 2 inches with the door 3/4 in steel.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Time to buy a cord of wood.....If its anything like my Lang... I would fire it up with an entire bag of lump, then 1/4'd up logs of pecan....That would get me about 45 minutes to an hour between 225 and 250..sleep is over rated anyways....It will be fun.....for a while..... ;)
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• chrisc133
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Time to buy a cord of wood.....If its anything like my Lang... I would fire it up with an entire bag of lump, then 1/4'd up logs of pecan....That would get me about 45 minutes to an hour between 225 and 250..sleep is over rated anyways....It will be fun.....for a while..... ;)
    haha yeah.  Well, when it's not fun--I have a Big Joe, Classic Joe, and Joe Jr.

I have a nice supply of wood.  I've been working craigslist and have a lot of oak and hickory ready to go.

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice looking rig you have there!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Grats!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Awesome looking rig, and it puts me one closer to picking up mine in mid-March. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Very Nice!
    Hopefully I can get one in a couple years.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    How are you liking the rig?
  • chrisc133
    Options
    How are you liking the rig?
    I'm loving it. It is an amazing smoker. I'll be firing it up this weekend for a brisket cook. I filled it up for some pulled chicken and wings a few weeks ago. 

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is an awesome machine that has "BBQ Champion" written all over it.
    Congrats. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks awesome!! I need to spend some time with the Grocery Cart now that I'm getting my energy back!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congrats!!! That's a super nice setup! Words cant explain how envious I am; I have been eyeing almost an identical setup for a few months. I just have nowhere to store/really use it at my current home, which is the worst because i about have the wifey's approval for the purchase. Oh and then there's that whole year long waiting list thing... :grimacing:

What is the advantage of the straightback? More cooking real estate? Looks nice
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • chrisc133
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Congrats!!! That's a super nice setup! Words cant explain how envious I am; I have been eyeing almost an identical setup for a few months. I just have nowhere to store/really use it at my current home, which is the worst because i about have the wifey's approval for the purchase. Oh and then there's that whole year long waiting list thing... :grimacing:

I keep it in the garage. Is that an option for you?  

The straight back gives more real estate and lets me get more food on without going for a longer smoker. I'm super happy with the build...if the wife says go for it...find a way haha. Even if you have to store it in a storage unit!
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @byrne092 -  strike while the iron is hot, as above.  Acquisition is the largest hurdle to clear, all down-hill after that.  Go forth and don't look back.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • byrne092
    Options
    Haha yeah i hear you. Her only gripe is i dont have a good place to store it as too. I kind of like the temporary garage idea. Im going to keep working on it.

St. Louis, MO
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's a great set up.  I saw @SGH Shirley (Unit #5 at this past weekend's brisket camp, and that was a great advertisement for Shirley.  They do great work, and you are looking at some great times ahead!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    byrne092 said:

I keep it in the garage. Is that an option for you?  

The straight back gives more real estate and lets me get more food on without going for a longer smoker. I'm super happy with the build...if the wife says go for it...find a way haha. Even if you have to store it in a storage unit!

You forgot one of the best parts.. it looks freaking COOL!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Beautiful Pit. Im working on getting a Shirley as well. Im having issuing on where I am going to park it. Im also concerned about my HOA. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    How is the trailer to move? I have seen a couple of things that it is a pain in the back side to move it regularly by hand.
  • chrisc133
    Options
    How is the trailer to move? I have seen a couple of things that it is a pain in the back side to move it regularly by hand.
    It's 3000 or so lbs....it is very heavy to move. I bought the northern tools heavy duty dolly and now moving it is a piece of cake. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
  • byrne092
    edited October 2016
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    Beautiful Pit. Im working on getting a Shirley as well. Im having issuing on where I am going to park it. Im also concerned about my HOA. 
    Yep, that is the problem. We are looking to move soon, and it might be on some acreage, but it might be back into another neighborhood with an HOA. My wife had the genius idea if we move into a neighborhood; setup the garage to be a pull through so you can back the smoker through into a patio/pad in the backyard. Im not sure your restrictions, but I don't think we've seen anything about a smoker/trailer being in the backyard, and even if so, I could probably think of something to decoratively hide it. I thought it was a great idea and further solidified that I picked a winner! Lol

St. Louis, MO