Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighters and charcoal quality

Options
I have not been happy with the starter swatches bge sells. Takes too long to get a good coal light. I have only had the egg a couple months, but I always have grillled 4 to 6 times a week on a gas grill .  Do not want to use an electric starter because of the hassle. Anyone using the bison air lighter?it looks good and quick. I know this is a learning curve and the food is good no question,but I would like a little quicker way to get coals going.bottom  air vent wide open and top up for at least 10 min at start. Also the quality of bge charcoal at bottom of bag was terrible, quarter size charcoal at best. Any better quality charcoal recommended? 
Not trying to be negative , just need some help 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Weed torch is your best friend.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 06VMI06
    06VMI06 Posts: 35
    Options
    I have a propane torch you get at lowes or Home Depot. About a min or two later and we have burning coals
    XL BGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or 91% alcohol. Use like lighter fluid. 

As for lump

rockwood
    basques maple leaf
    fogo

all neutral good sizes
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I recently switched from a MAP gas torch to BGE charcoal starters. I love them. . . Personal preference is a funny thing. MAP gas worked fine, just ran out and BGE starters are cheaper than MAP gas. That's why I switched 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use map gas unless I'm really wanting to drag out my egg time then I use Rutland cubes.  Nothing wrong with the cubes but for weeknight cooks the torch gets it goin quicker.   Time is money and I can't make mo time.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Paper towel and cooking oil. Cheap and wirks great.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Won't ever look back after getting a hold of my firepimp cane by Bernzomatic.  Two friends have each bought one after using it.

This torch, a Weber Chimney starter, a Pyroclaw, and Dewalt safety glasses all within arms reach at a moments notice...game changers when it comes to all around fire management.

I would say a rough estimate would be up to temp in half the time vs using Rutland starters, electric, paper towel.  Since I don't have the luxury of daydreaming my next cook while drooling on a desktop at work, many of my cooks are last min and in a narrow window.  Stir, dump, torch.  These same quick cooks, require little prep, so the "let your egg preheat while you prep" argument doesn't apply here.

IMO, it is worth the convenience and time savings.

The hundreds of Rutland starters in current inventory will get used eventually, for the fire pit startups.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I've been using Weber starter cubes. They do work as well as Rutland's. I was recently informed that Tractor Supply sells Rutland's in the bigger box for a very, very good price. Use 2 or 3 of those to get the fire going faster and it will be less costly than 1 BGE fire-starter. I'd rather use a fire-starter or chimney starter than to waste my time holding a torch for several minutes.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00138MO16/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477445725&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rutland&dpPl=1&dpID=51Ly-+T7Y2L&ref=plSrch

144 starters for $20. What I've been using for a long time. So cheap that I don't mind using 2-3 to get things started fast for burgers if I need. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I don't have an issue with cube starters; I buy Rutland cubes in bulk. Yes, they take time and the egg takes a while to heat up. It also takes me a bit of time to cut up vegetables, get the meat out, trim the meat, season, etc. Yes time is valuable. I just do meal prep while the egg is getting up to temp. The large is up to temp in 40 minutes or less and the MM gets hot faster. It takes me that long to get supper prepped, set the table, etc. if there's a few spare minutes I just visit with the Mrs. This is just an alternative pov. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I use a harbor freight $25 heat gun. I have electric next to my egg. For me it worked great. I have a great temp quickly
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    First of all, MAPP gas is no longer available. Hasn't been for years. Secondly, you don't need to spend the money on its replacement, MAP-Pro gas. Propane is essentially the same at 1/3 the price. You do need the MAP torch head (it works better upside down), but buying MAP-Pro gas is pointless.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mikee
    Options
    Mikee said:

I've been using Weber starter cubes. They do work as well as Rutland's. I was recently informed that Tractor Supply sells Rutland's in the bigger box for a very, very good price. Use 2 or 3 of those to get the fire going faster and it will be less costly than 1 BGE fire-starter. I'd rather use a fire-starter or chimney starter than to waste my time holding a torch for several minutes.

If you're holding a torch for several minutes, you're doing it wrong. 

Tried it once. It was very boring. I would rather start the fire and walk away. Holding a torch to the lump is like standing and pumping gas. Only an idiot would enjoy that. Not sure where you stand on that!

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I just recently went with the paper towel route and quite frankly, I can't understand why anyone would do it any other way. It gets the job done, and it feels almost free. I doubt I will buy any other fire starters once I run out. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mikee
    Options
    I just recently went with the paper towel route and quite frankly, I can't understand why anyone would do it any other way. It gets the job done, and it feels almost free. I doubt I will buy any other fire starters once I run out. 

Buy a Weber Chimney. It's the best. The cost per light is meaningless and the lump gets hot, glowing, and smoke free in minutes. For the mini, I like a fire starter. Sure its expensive, but its simple and very quick. I don't wash ash blowing around.

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I have a chimney. Tried it once. Not that impressed. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Mikee said:

Buy a Weber Chimney. It's the best. The cost per light is meaningless and the lump gets hot, glowing, and smoke free in minutes. For the mini, I like a fire starter. Sure its expensive, but its simple and very quick. I don't wash ash blowing around.

You never have used a paper towel in cooking oil, have you? No ash, as it falls to the bottom of the bge, no mess.
    What do you use to ignite the chimney? A starter cube? Just curious.
    I have a Weber chimney, stopped using it when I learned of the paper towel and cooking oil method. Cheap and easy. No mess. No ash flying around.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Electric starter is my go-to method. Reliable and works for me. Paper towel and olive oil is backup plan or for when I'm in a hurry. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Mikee said:

You never have used a paper towel in cooking oil, have you? No ash, as it falls to the bottom of the bge, no mess.
    I have a Weber chimney, stopped using it when I learned of the paper towel and cooking oil method. Cheap and easy. No mess. No ash flying around.
    Chimney and oil soaked paper towel for me.  I like the way the chimney gets the lump started.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Looftlighter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6IC72FcHQ

Personally I back the lighter away from the charcoal quicker and use it as a bellows. I also usual start it in two different spots. I used to use the electrical lighter but it was far slower and a pain to dig out of the lit coals.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Oil the Blackstone, toss oily towel into egg for next ignition.  Free & easy.  

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    Mikee said:

Chimney and oil soaked paper towel for me.  I like the way the chimney gets the lump started.
    I light the towel, stack coal around it, let it stabilize while I prep the food. Add smoke chunks, assemble the BGE for type of cook I need, place food on cooking grid,  close lid, drink a couple glass bottles of wine, until the cook is done,  =)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The_Buffalo
    Options
    FYI...we do have a new product called the EGGniter http://biggreenegg.com/product/eggniter/ speeds up the lighting process!
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited October 2016
    Options
    FYI...we do have a new product called the EGGniter http://biggreenegg.com/product/eggniter/ speeds up the lighting process!
    Wow :o  - sure looks familiar. Hope your IP attorneys signed off on this or you bought Looftlighter.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    But it's GREEN and the handle is angled! 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Wow :o  - sure looks familiar. Hope your IP attorneys signed off on this or you bought Looftlighter.

There's a gazillion companies making similar looking/functioning gizmos like the Looflighter.

After all, the Looflighter is just a tweaked hot air gun that has been around for decades.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    My MAP torch died and I switched to paper towels. Finally got a new one only to discover the towels were as fast and as efficient. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I don't even have to light Rockwood. It cooks by itself, probably because I have smokeware caps. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    If you have a good heat gun they work just like a looftlighter, if you don't have one they are much cheaper than a looftlight and also really handy to have around the house.  I have one with multiple temp settings up to 1300 deg F and it lights my lump very fast.  Should be lots of options at your local hardware store
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada