Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question - not really sure how to title this

Options
I have a medium BGE and am needing some help. The thing was great until about 6 months ago. Now it seems like everything I cook on it (Chicken, Steak, Pork chops, Pork Steaks, Pork Loin, Salmon) is ruined and they are all obtaining a grey appearance and an almost "slime" that it grey during cooking. 

I have completely cleaned it on numerous occasions, and change the charcoal all the time. I have done a high temp clean burn as well. 

My question is - Is it possible that there is something in the ceramic itself that is seeping out and into the food while cooking? 

Also - when I cook the same items from the same freezer on my gas grill, they are good to go with no discoloration or slime

Any help, tips, or tricks anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I love the egg, but I am almost to the point of getting rid of it due to the problems
1 Medium BGE(for now)
1 Charcoal Weber
1 Wood burner
Plans for much more......

Jackson - TN

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Not sure, but a few photos might help.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    have you calibrated the dome gage, sounds more like your cooking at too low a temp maybe and not getting good browning

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • VanDawg38
    Options
    What are you using for fuel?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Are you letting the "White Smoke" clear before you put your food on? How long after you start the egg are you putting on the food. What lump are you using?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    grey and slimy? sounds like you're using zombies for fuel.  Seriously, pics would help plus get a second opinion on the temp you think you're cooking at.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Ghostbusters
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Cliff_Oo
    Options
    Ok - answer time. To my knowledge, not built on a cemetery. I have calibrated the dome thermometer. This past saturday I light the charcoal and let it go for an hour (regulated at 450° grate using my igrill) and still had the issues. I will work on some pics this evening
    1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner
    Plans for much more......

Jackson - TN
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    Pics will def help. I've never seen or heard of this before.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I am in Information Technology...

Time for a reboot...

Take it to ~500 DeeGrees for about an hour... If there is something living in there...It wont be for long...

Then do another cook...

Just my 2 Cents
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    www.craigslist.com
    New Albany, Ohio 

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    www.craigslist.com
    actually..

.org....I've got my eye out for it...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cliff_Oo said:
    Ok - answer time. To my knowledge, not built on a cemetery. I have calibrated the dome thermometer. This past saturday I light the charcoal and let it go for an hour (regulated at 450° grate using my igrill) and still had the issues. I will work on some pics this evening
    450ºF at the grid not the grate right? Cooking grid level probe reading 450ºF, and exposed to the IR of direct burning lump might give a dome of 250º or so. You sure your calibrated dome thermo was also reading 450ºF? 
    So far my MBGE is not haunted, no slime or off colour I've noticed. 
    This is either fuel or temp related. 

EDIT - when did you start using the iGrill?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I'm just spitballing here, but is your house built on some kind of cemetery?  Have you recently somehow harmed or killed a gypsy? 
    This. Killed. Me. !
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Could it be ash from the lump collecting on the food? 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Staying tuned . . .  :o
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Cliff_Oo said:
    I have a medium BGE and am needing some help. The thing was great until about 6 months ago. Now it seems like everything I cook on it (Chicken, Steak, Pork chops, Pork Steaks, Pork Loin, Salmon) is ruined and they are all obtaining a grey appearance and an almost "slime" that it grey during cooking. 

I have completely cleaned it on numerous occasions, and change the charcoal all the time. I have done a high temp clean burn as well. 

My question is - Is it possible that there is something in the ceramic itself that is seeping out and into the food while cooking? 

Also - when I cook the same items from the same freezer on my gas grill, they are good to go with no discoloration or slime

Any help, tips, or tricks anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I love the egg, but I am almost to the point of getting rid of it due to the problems
    how are you cooking on the egg?  are you searing the stuff and then shutting down to let it "dwell" and finish roasting, with all the vents closed?

tell us how you'd go about cooking on the BGE, from opening the dome, to pulling the food off.  cuz somethin doesn't make any sense.

i suspect the dwell method, but that's just a guess
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Suggested title: "Grey Matters"....

...as in, it "matters" because it makes your food unappealing. 

Get it!?

*crickets*
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I'm just spitballing here, but is your house built on some kind of cemetery?  Have you recently somehow harmed or killed a gypsy? 

@nolabrew   One of the funniest comments posted on the forum - hilarious.

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Alternative suggested title: "Fifty Shades of Grey".....

.....as in the variety of shades you see in your meat. 

Perfect for those sadomasochists who enjoy the sting of a good bout of food poisoning, either inflected upon themselves or upon their guests.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If you've done a clean burn, and haven't changed lump - i have no idea.  It's just a cooking device.  

If you're still using the same lump and the vessel is clean, then each cook is independent of the last.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    More info required for sure.  Describe a cook or two from loading lump, vent settings and all the details.  Somethings not right.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Justacookin
    Options
    I think it has something to do with your wife's grandmother did she like you.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • 06VMI06
    06VMI06 Posts: 35
    Options
    Grey matters unless you multiply it by the speed of light then it's energy. 

Sorry nerd joke and. It a good one. 

I am am fairly new to the egg so I am watching to see what comes of this. 
    XL BGE 
  • 06VMI06
    06VMI06 Posts: 35
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok I had a serious thought. 

Do do you clear your ash every time you cook. With an updraft when you open the lid and then juices from cooking could very well be your "grey slime". 
    XL BGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    06VMI06 said:
    Ok I had a serious thought. 

Do do you clear your ash every time you cook. With an updraft when you open the lid and then juices from cooking could very well be your "grey slime". 
    I can't tell you the last time I cleaned out my egg. Not the problem. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Like the others said, go into details regarding a typical cook, cuz something ain't right here. I've cooked stupid drunk and never turned out grey slime. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I've cooked stupid drunk and never turned out grey slime. 
    You sure you are trying hard enough?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow