Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok...sell me on the Woo

Options
I'd like a solution to get some elevation on the L BGE. But I don't think I have a real firm hold on the why's and how's, etc..seems the real advantage is ease of adding lump and the ability to add some height...what else?
BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I cooked without one for 3 years before I got one. Still don't see it as a necessity even though I have it now. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This gal uses a Woo. 

Who am I to argue.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    This gal has a woo too!!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SGH
    Options
    This gal has a woo too!!

Looks like she may have ate it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• eightyfive
    Options
    Speechless....ordering now..hahah
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • SGH
    Options
    Speechless....ordering now..hahah
    Listen, you will get all kinds of mixed opinions on the subject. As such, here is mine. I really like the Woo. If for nothing else, cooking at gasket level. Also I have a plate setter. The Woo and plate setter goes together like peanut butter and jelly. I use the Woo for 95% of my cooks. Be they raised direct or indirect. I have an adjustable rig as well. But just prefer the Woo for most cooks.  

Status- Standing by.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    SGH said:
    This gal uses a Woo. 

Who am I to argue.  

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • eightyfive
    Options
    SGH What do you use the adjustable rig for that the Woo doesn't work for?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @eightyfive - It's up to you to determine what you might need to cook whatever you're cooking.  For example, plenty of folks like to cook chicken with a raised grid over direct heat.  There's plenty of ways to get that set-up including using a woo.  Firebricks are a cheap alternative.  Check out ceramicgrillstore.com for info on the woo and adjustable rig.

As for the pictures above, one is art.
    Flint, Michigan
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Been on their site. Just overwhelmed with the info. A little confusion that's all. I know, I know...STFA
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I have a woo and have yet to cook anything without it once I got it. Very easy to get the PS in and out for reverse searing to me, and is simply very well built. Many here will recommend bricks and cans and stuff to do the same thing, but I am not that kind of fellow.

That being said, I do wish I would have gotten the Adjustable Rig instead. Accomplishes what the woo does and more. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Shame it's not Friday.  This had legs.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tikigriller
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Shame it's not Friday.  This had legs.
    Really big legs. 

Livermore, California
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Thick, beefy legs.  Wait...sorry. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH What do you use the adjustable rig for that the Woo doesn't work for?
    The AR fitted with a oval stone gives slightly better coverage when cooking long meats such as brisket and ribs. The Woo works just fine for these also. But the AR with an oval stone does have a slight advantage here. For everything else, I prefer the Woo for ease of use. If you can, buy both. If you can't, and ribs and brisket is your main cooks, you may want to look at the AR R&B combo.  

Status- Standing by.

• eightyfive
    Options
    K.  Good example.  Damn this forum. Costs me money. Lol 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I already had a PS so I bought a woo.  I use it for every cook.  I also bought the woo extender and it works excellent as well.  If I hadn't already purchased a PS I might have gone with the AR but I did and no ragrets
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tikigriller
    Options
    K.  Good example.  Damn this forum. Costs me money. Lol 
    I dare you to keep up with me!!  

Livermore, California
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Do you need a Woo? No - there are other ways to get a raised grid. Does it add convenience? For me, yes. The real question is how much do you want one? For the frequency that I use the Woo, it is totally worth my investment.

I do way more indirect cooks than I do raised direct cooks (except on the Mini). I also like to use a drip pan with an air gap under it on those indirect cooks. I use the PSWoo way more than I use the AR for this. There is certainly a lot of flexibility to the AR and it has its place for the way I cook. I use the AR and the oval stone for briskets every time. I also use it set up with 3 levels when smoking bacon. Those cooks are pretty infrequent for me though.

The real reason that I use the Woo is that I like to be able to lift out the grate, drip pan, and platesetters with spacers for the air gap all at one time. I do this to add my smoke wood a few minutes before I put on the food. The convenience of lifting it out by the handles and only having one hot piece to set down, as opposed to a bunch of individual pieces, makes it worth it for me.

Really, your preference between the two may come down to how you like to cook and what you want to do with it. When I bought my Woos and AR, they didn't have a Woo extender yet. My suggestion would be to call Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store and have a conversation. He will help you sort out what best suits your needs. It will be 20 minutes of your time well spent.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I bought the Woo2 and stone for my XL when my original platesetter bit the dust. I cook on it every cook and use the stone for indirect. 
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Awesome. Well thought out response. Continually amazed by how friendly and helpful ppl here are. Thanks a bunch. 
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    bigalsworth No Ragrets? Not even 1 letter?
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Brason said:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Seapointbakers
    Options

know what I'm sayin

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Brason said:
    not a single letter lol
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A Woo will not break the bank. I use both the Woo and Plate setter.....Depends on what I cook. Woo probably carries the bulk of the load.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow