Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 minutes after start-up

Down to the end of my Rockwood. Had to grab a bag of Royal Choke. It doesn't take long for me to appreciate the difference in start up time. This picture is well after I would have had my wings on if I were using my favorite brand. Egg is at 400 degrees and still smoking like a power plant. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    There should be a ban on posts about Rockwood so those of us in California that can't use it don't have to witness the better lump life....
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I use RO due to availability and price, and usually have clear smoke after 20-30 minutes
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I used to use Royal Oak all the time too. I've become so accustomed to Rockwood now that I really prefer being able to get just the right smoke with chunks and chips, especially on chicken. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    There should be a ban on posts about Rockwood so those of us in California that can't use it don't have to witness the better lump life....
    Order it off amazon. Bet they'll ship it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    BilZol said:

No, sorry.
  • BilZol
    BilZol said:

No, sorry.
    Bet I would ship it.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • tikigriller

Thanks @bilzol but it is just not worth the effort to work around the wonderful state of California and their ridiculous guidelines on stuff like this.

I love my wife dearly.....I really do......but if I did not have her, I would have left California long ago.........she complains about the weather here in the Bay Area, so I am pretty much hosed into staying here.

BGE is working for me so far.  I either got a bad bag of RO, or I just simply noticed a difference between the two.....but those are my two easiest accessible brands I can play with.

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BilZol

Thanks @bilzol but it is just not worth the effort to work around the wonderful state of California and their ridiculous guidelines on stuff like this.

I love my wife dearly.....I really do......but if I did not have her, I would have left California long ago.........she complains about the weather here in the Bay Area, so I am pretty much hosed into staying here.

BGE is working for me so far.  I either got a bad bag of RO, or I just simply noticed a difference between the two.....but those are my two easiest accessible brands I can play with.

I like RO, BGE, Rockwood, and am enjoying El Diablo as well for grilling and pizzas. I am entrusting my thanksgiving cook to Rockwood though and have two bags reserved for that. Using one bag of it for an important cook this weekend which means I'll be ordering another half dozen bags soon. I guess I've decided Rockwood is my go to for cooks I can't have go wrong but I haven't had trouble with anything else I've used either. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • your temp gauge shows under 300 degrees
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    When I use GFS lump, which is rebranded RO, I remove any any pieces that are obviously under-carbonized. I just use the ash removal tool to give it a brief stir and don't go crazy sorting through all the lump. That helps the smoke clear quicker though I prefer using Rockwood. YMMV
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Good Lord. That crap ought to be outlawed. 
  • minniemoh
    your temp gauge shows under 300 degrees.
    I guess I should have taken another picture to prove what I was saying. 

I typically put the platesetter in at about 250 when doing a 400 indirect cook. I had the egg going for a while and I didn't even bother to look at the temp gauge as it was smoking so much. Was wondering what was taking so long when I realized it was already at 400 (and still smoking like crazy). I had just put the Woo/platesetter/drip pan in when I took the photo so you see the temp drop from that. I quickly came back to 400+ and was still smoking like that. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I use nothing but RO, my only other options locally are Frontier and Cowboy (no thanks), I have never had to wait more than 30 min for smoke to clear. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    What was your previous cook to this one? If it was a low and slow it might be fat and grease burning off
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • minniemoh
    Hans61 said:
    What was your previous cook to this one? If it was a low and slow it might be fat and grease burning off
    Completely empty egg to start. No ash in the bottom, no charcoal, no nothing...
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Still believing that different types of starting yield different "smoke" results.  I'm a chimney starter and quite frankly I've not had any long start/smokey starts with just about any charcoal.  Been using BGE Charcoal, then Cowboy, then RO then Rockwood then... blah blah blah... currently trying FOGO and ALL of these seem to start and gain heat with little smoke when started in the chimney.

Just sayin'
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    If anyone has any bags of Royal Oak the they don't like, can you please ship them to me?
    My taste are not discerning enough to know the difference between good and bad lump.
    I just feel privileged to own an egg and have charcoal and something to throw on the egg to cook. 
  • minniemoh
    edited October 2016
    Still believing that different types of starting yield different "smoke" results.  I'm a chimney starter and quite frankly I've not had any long start/smokey starts with just about any charcoal.  Been using BGE Charcoal, then Cowboy, then RO then Rockwood then... blah blah blah... currently trying FOGO and ALL of these seem to start and gain heat with little smoke when started in the chimney.

Just sayin'
    You make a good point about starting method. I used veg. oil/paper towels today and both paper towels were burned up before I closed the dome about 15 minutes after lighting. (Same thing I've been using for 6 months.) I have had troubles with slow starts when using starter cubes as there seems to be varying wax levels in those - some burn up and other smolder forever. I would love to go to the torch method but my eggs are on my deck and I'm not a big fan of sparks. At the end of the day, I was able to cook my wings... I just wasn't happy about how long it took to get them cooking.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    any chance the lump or egg interior was damp? just wondering
    canuckland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    User error for sure. I use RO all the time and it's burning clean after 15 minutes or less. My wings would have been almost done.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    No way that fire is burning hot enough to pass the smoke phase. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • minniemoh
    What temp is hot enough to pass the smoke phase?
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Terrebandit
    minniemoh said:
    I think most of it is probably tied to proper ventilation, causing a very hot fire (rather than a smoldering fire) at coal level.  Temp at the lid has nothing to do with it, based on my experience.   A well ventilated fire will not smoke nearly as much.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh said:
    I think most of it is probably tied to proper ventilation, causing a very hot fire (rather than a smoldering fire) at coal level.  Temp at the lid has nothing to do with it, based on my experience.   A well ventilated fire will not smoke nearly as much.  
    I certainly agree with you on that. That's why I couldn't believe how bad it was still smoking at 400 degrees with a totally open top and bottom vent. I should have taken the picture before I put the platesetter in when the smoke was streaming out of it like the chrome stack on an 18 wheeler. There was a large portion of the lump glowing red hot when it was still smoking. Maybe this bag of lump took on some humidity or something. Next time, I'll do a better job of documenting my complaint with photos. Anyway, thanks for clarifying. Cheers!

eggAddict from MN!
  • Terrebandit
    Yes, if the lump had a high moisture content, that would easily explain what you just described.  Cheers. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tikigriller
    I vote for a funky bag of lump. 

Livermore, California
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Why are you letting all that flavor escape!  Put your chicken on, cap that sucker, and let the beautiful gentle smoke infiltrate that bird.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS