Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need cast iron suggestion

Options
i want to get some cast iron for when I get my egg. I am leaning towards Lodge CI. But I am having trouble with Dutch oven sizes. I can't get my head wrapped around 2qt, 3 qt or 5qt sizes. I just can't conceptulize the size I will need. I will be cooking for 6 but the size doesn't really matter for my kids will eat everything they see regardless f the pot size.

What size  do you guys and gals use the most? What will fit on a large egg?
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You will want at least 5qt. 7qt should easily fit on the large I would think, but I don't have a large egg to confirm that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cooking for 6?! I would get at least a 7 qt., but probably the 9. Dimensions of every Lodge piece can be found on their website. Here's the 9... 

https://www.lodgemfg.com/images/L12DO3_Measurements.pdf

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited October 2016
    Options
    While you are in the thought process also be thinking about the style. The traditional DO has a flat bottom,  while the camp style has 3 legs. I prefer my camp style in conjunction with my inverted PS. That way they is no fear of burnt food on the bottom and the DO seems to heat more evenly. Granted you can use spacers with a flat bottom to achieve the same. Btw both of my DO are 5 quarts  and work well in my large egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I use 5 and 7 on my L.  Can't speak to the 9.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Like @RRP I use camp ovens in my egg - but that's because I owned them before I had an egg. I agree they work well standing on the plate setter. I have a 10" and a 12" and I use both depending on the size crowd I have over to eat. 
    A standard Dutch oven works better if you plan on using it in a conventional oven. I use both styles on a propane burner for deep frying. None of this probably helps you - it's our job here on the forum to make you spend money. :)
    Good luck. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    5qt. Flat bottom works great for me for most everything but a 4qt. works great for bread.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have a 5qt for the past 30+ years. Works for most of what I do.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Get the 7 quart my son, Ontarians don't lie. You don't have to fill it up every time but if you want to do a big chili or big moose stew you'll be glad for the extra room. Get some flaxseed oil to season it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A classic Lodge #12 DO should be in every kitchen.  Perfect for the large egg.  I also use a 5qt Lodge Double Dutch, where the lid doubles for a nice skillet, perfect for the small.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree with the 5 or 7 quart.  I also have the 2 and 4 quart, and as was mentioned, the 4 is great for bread.  The two is almost useless.

I disagree though about the flaxseed oil.  I'd suggest traditional seasoning with lard (4-5 sessions)

Phoenix 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

Get the 7 quart my son, Ontarians don't lie. You don't have to fill it up every time but if you want to do a big chili or big moose stew you'll be glad for the extra room. Get some flaxseed oil to season it.

I do love me some chili. But not much moose running around in Florida. 

I'm leaning towards at least a 5qt. as my first purchase. Then a larger size for the second purchase.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you start with a larger one, you won't NEED a second.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use a 5qrt in my small and a 9qrt (I think) in my large.  Sometimes I struggle getting everything in the 5qrt so I would recommend going larger if you can.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I'm leaning towards at least a 5qt. as my first purchase. Then a larger size for the second purchase.

Sorry, I thought you were in St. John's Nfld

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

Sorry, I thought you were in St. John's Nfld
    No problem. I'm in Saint Johns county Florida. Where St. Augustine is located.
    MiniMax 04/17

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 16
    Options
    I'll vote with RRP and others for a camp style Dutch oven with legs: 5 - 6 quart will be fine.  BTW, I use my "regular" Dutch ovens in my egg as well as the camp style depending on what I am cooking.

As an aside, I have a few Lodge pieces and really like them but I have discovered the joy of cast iron at good prices from Agri Supply. Bought a fajita pan, ground off the handle and now have a nice cast iron surface for my eggs. Did the same with a 10" griddle pan.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    There is another option, lodge makes a very reasonable 6 qt enameled DO. They make a variety of sizes, but I just picked up a 6 qt from amazon for $60. The enameled finish means no seasoning (no big deal) and more importantly you can cook acidic or reactive foods. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What is the setup when cooking indirect with a pot/dutch oven? Today was my first time cooking a pork roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. I had the platesetter legs up and the cooking grid on top of it. Set the pot on the cooking grid so the bottom would not get too hot.
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    I use a lodge 6 qt enameled DO. I picked it up at Academy on sale 40% off. I love it but I'll admit the discount drove the purchase. I've cooked bread, meatloaf, stew, chili and jambalaya. I will eventually get a DO with legs....because I can. Buy the best deal you can get because either type will cook great for you. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    atleast a 7, you need a 7 just to do a descent sized potroast. im a fan of enameled for most cooks but the regular ci dutch makes a better potroast, so two 7's =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I had some money left on an Amazon Gift card so I ordered a 5qt DO and an 8" skillet. I didn't have enough money to go with a 7 qt or 9 qt so I tried to maximize my buying power and I'll add the larger ones later.

I ordered the 8" skillet as I have a 10" I got from my mom. Its a no name brand that she has had for years. I'm off now to clean and recondition it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008GKDG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it and will follow it on future purchases.

MiniMax 04/17

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    7 qt DO does and a large skillet just fine on a Large

New Albany, Ohio 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I got a 7 and it works for everything. I wouldn't want one any bigger.  The lid that comes with the 7 will also work on a 12" skillet, so that's a bonus.  I did buy a Lodge " chicken fryer" that is probably about 3 quarts which is handy as heck for the smaller stuff and it also comes with a lid that works on a 10 inch skillet. 

http://www.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-covered-deep-skillet.asp#galleryPopup

Dave - Austin, TX
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I went cheap and bought Utopia 5 and 7 quart DO's off amazon and am completely satisfied. Already had a Lodge 5qt deep skillet I use as a dutch oven and a couple of other pieces. Happy with them all but saved a bunch going with the Utopias. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I use a 10 quart Lodge DO on my LBGE and it makes stews, gumbos, jambalayas, chilis, and so much more. Sometimes even this large of a pot is too small...
  • Sirk98
    Sirk98 Posts: 79
    Options
    silly question: if you use an enameled dutch over (like the one mentioned above) on an egg: do you get a lot of soot, etc, on the outside?  Wondering if my wife would let me use the 'kitchen' one on the egg and still let it back in the house :)
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Sirk98 said:
    silly question: if you use an enameled dutch over (like the one mentioned above) on an egg: do you get a lot of soot, etc, on the outside?  Wondering if my wife would let me use the 'kitchen' one on the egg and still let it back in the house :)
    It got my coffee perculator a bit sooty but it wiped right off. 

Yes, I've made coffee on the egg. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    As a owner of about 20+ pieces of Cast Iron.....I would say that you should think about what you want to cook. From there, choose you piece. As you expand your desire to cook other things, then add to your collection. I don't think there is a piece I use more than others.....and I also use them indoors a great deal as well. It is excellent cookware and very versatile. If I was pressed to make a purchase, I would get a 12 inch skillet....followed by a dutch oven. 

Take good care of it....and it will take good care of you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    As a owner of about 20+ pieces of Cast Iron.....I would say that you should think about what you want to cook. From there, choose you piece. As you expand your desire to cook other things, then add to your collection. I don't think there is a piece I use more than others.....and I also use them indoors a great deal as well. It is excellent cookware and very versatile. If I was pressed to make a purchase, I would get a 12 inch skillet....followed by a dutch oven. 

Take good care of it....and it will take good care of you.
    I already have a 10" skillet. So I went with the 5qt DO and the 8" skillet.

I'll make do with those until I see how my needs pan out.

MiniMax 04/17

• Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    I find the 10" too big for my needs; go with the 7" you won't be sorry