Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

i am an efficient type person

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive owned an egg for about 2 weeks. i also own a bbq guru competitor for a week which i havent used it yet. I want to become comfortable with the egg first. ive cooked 9 meals so far and am very happy so far.[p]my question is: it seems like a waste of heat, especially since it takes at least 3 or 4 hours for the egg to cool off to room temperature.[p]i hate losing all that precious heat for nothing. especially since it takes at least 30 minutes to get up to temp. I feel like i am wasting good energy when the egg is cooling off and no food is in there. any good ideas what to put in the egg while it cools off for those 3 or so hours?

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Luis,
    I friend of mine gave me a great tip - he pre-seasons some boneless/ skinless chicken breasts when doing a cook, and he throws them on after he's finished & has shut down the egg. They slowly cook as the temp goes down. He uses them for a variety of things, like chicken salad, et al. I have used them to make chicken salad and Swiss enchiladas.
    You just have to remember to take them off before you pass out....errrrm... fall asleep... yeah, fall asleep... :)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Luis,[p]Cheese is my first choice, you need to wait for the temp to drop to around 160°. Jerky can go on sooner.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The egg is extremely energy efficient due to the high quality ceramics. Just look at how little charcoal is consumed. Rather than view it as a waste of energy, consider it like a well insulated house. Once you get it nice & toasty, it stays that way a long time. [p][p]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Luis,[p]Dog biscuits. Seriously. Do you have a dog? If not, get a dog (I know 2 2-yr-old bassets in a shelter who need a home right now...sweet girls). Then make dog biscuits. They aren't fussy as to temperature, but use a pizza thing or a plate setter or something. They kinda melt through the grid otherwise.[p]Anyway, keep the dough in a container in the fridge and just drop some on to cook whenever you are cooking down. My best recipes are from the Three Dog Bakery cookbook.[p]mShark
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    Luis,[p]I always put my daisy wheel inside of the egg and put the rain cap on the top. This keeps the daisy wheel clean and seasoned. I suppose you could season cast iron in there while it's fairly hot.
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Luis,
    Bacon .. when the egg is about 350 to 400 on its way down .. best bacon on the planet. Put it on alumn. foil on the grill - direct. Breakfast is always bacon after a steak dinner. [p]You could also do jerky from a lower temp. I haven't tried this.
    Roast peppers or veggies?[p]Doug

• Unknown
    Options
    Luis,
    OMG! A Virgo? Type A? Never satisfied with anything?
    It's only a charcoal grill, a Big green Egg to be sure, but just a charcoal grill. Go read a book, I recommend Dr. BBQ's cookbook. ;>)

• Unknown
    Options
    Luis,
    Also consider baking desert. Must be careful to burn off any woodsmoke though. With the temp profile during cool down anything from small empanadas to cobbler in a 9" pan works really well. Hard to worry about much when you are stuffing yourself with desert!
    BF

• KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Options
    Focus7932.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,
    Christy, fresh from the pound (July 5) thanks you for the bisquit idea.[p]Luis,
    I like the way you think, I've been wondering how I can heat my house with my cooker.[p]Try putting raw peanuts on a baking sheet. At around 450 drop the tray in and shut 'er down. They'll be roasted when the egg is cool.[p]You might try thinking 'outside the egg' too. When things cool off in the fall set chairs around it, mix up some Hot Tottys and put your stocking feet up.