Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE FORUM GETS ME THROUGH THE DAY

PETE
PETE Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a Marine currently living in Okinawa Japan and my morning is dinner time for most of you. The first thing I do in the am is start searching what all of you are cooking and the Marines I work with are amazed at the pictures of all the great looking food. I believe I have the only eggs here and have some lump on order so I can fire the eggs up (hopefully soon). [p]Rob

Comments

• Pete,[p]Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to the forum. And the forum sure does help a lot of folks get thru their days. Good group of folks here that can offer help with about any type of cooking.[p]Dave

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Pete,
    A big hello and welcome to ya! Thank you and your buddies for your service first of sir. Ditto, great bunch of folks here and a wealth of information. I have to admit I am on this site waaaaaay more than I should be, most times I should probably be accomplishing something! Oh well. You take care over there and I hope your lump arrives soon.

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Pete,
    A big thank you for your service, and "Semper Fi"
    Willie

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Pete,
    Welcome! Any questions, were here to help. Imagine that, the egg in Japan, sort of a homecoming.
    Keep us posted when you're ready to start BBQing.
    Clay

• Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Pete,
    Welcome to the Egg Forum. And as the others said, thank you for keeping us free. Catherine

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Pete,
    Why wait? Burn some wood down to coals in barrel, put them in the egg and get to cooking young man. Thanks for being there.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Pete,[p]I'm glad that a little thing like this forum and the egg can brighten your day.[p]I personally thank you and your fellow Marines for helping and protecting our country so we can continue living and enjoying our daily lives.[p]I look forward to seeing more post from you.[p]God Bless!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Pete,
    A robust Thank You to you and your fellow Marines there from this Illinois egger! May your tours be safe ones and you'll be back home in the near future!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My son just found out his first duty station will be Hawaii!!! His first selection was Japan but they gave him a nice second choice I would say!! Thanks to all the Marines!!
  • Pete,
    From one Marine to another, welcome. You will find many of us here some still active others retired but all here to help. Should you need anything just ask, this forum is full of great people who love to cook and share their ideas. Be safe, come home soon and when you do, make plans for Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. Hope to see you there. Semper Fi[p]John

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Semper Fi and THANKS for all the SERVICE you give to keep us safe and FREE
  • Pete,[p]Thank you for your service! I have spent some time on the Island as a DOD contractor, not to bad. I was Army...[p]"The Price of Freedom is High"[p]Luke "LazyDog" Salazar[p]
  • PETE
    ClayQ,
    I actually fired it up with some lump I bought at a Japanese stor. It did not burn clean at all and as a result the ribs had a bad taste.[p]Rob

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    DSCN1404.JPG?dc=4675529677306548124
    <p />Pete, Hopefully you know about Kamado extruded coconut lump and can get it in Okinawa. Good stuff. Fire that baby up!

[ul][li]Naked Whiz Kamado Review[/ul]
  • Pete,[p] I am US Navy retired and completed my last three years living in Yokosuka, Japan. I know what you are going through. This is where I started BBQing. I subscribed to Internet lists and used a Weber kettle on a small balcony of a 9th floor highrise. I turned out pork butts the Japanese loved and when I transferred I gave my kettle to a local along with cooking instructions. Appreciate your service and keep Qing.[p]Paul
    ETC(SW) USN Ret.[p]Hickory Flats BBQ
    Versailles, IN

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Pete,
    I'll bet money that people on here will make sure you get good lump, I know I would. Thanks for being there. We get to eat good because of men like you! Ask and you will recieve.

• PETE
    ronbeaux,
    Thank you! I contacted the Wicked Good folks and they put me in touch with one of their distributors who has agreed to ship me lump. I am waiting on the first shipment of 10 bags to arrive.[p]Rob

• PETE
    HickoryFlats,
    I really enjoy living in Japan I spent 199-2003 in Iwakuni and did not hesitate when the orders showed up. Once i get the eggs up I will begin trying to convert all the folks I can.[p]Rob

• PETE
    Lasydog,
    Okinawa is not a bad place at all. I spent three years on the mainland of Japan and the island offers many more options for Americans.[p]Rob

• PETE
    db,
    I tried some Japanese lump that burned really dirty. i am going to try and give the fire more time to develop and maybe produce a clean burn.[p]Rob

• PETE
    orion11,
    I agree with being on the site way too much. I check it constantly throughout the day. The Marines I work with can't believe i pay this much attention to BBQ let alone a grill.[p]Rob

• Pete, I am glad to see your post from Okinawa I had a good tour of duty there from June 63 to Sept 65. I was Army and was with the Air Defense Artilley Brigade with a missile system long since obselete. My wife and I both enjoyed that tour of duty and your post brings back many memories. My duty station was on the south end of the island not far from suicide cliff. Hope your tour is as good as mine. I retired on March 1, 1971 after 24 years service at the grade of CWO3

• PETE
    Uncle Collin,
    Great to hear from you. I am a former CWO3 now LDO. My family and I lived in Iwakuni from June 99-June 2003 and loved it, we have been in Okinawa for about six weeks and are happy. Would you like me to take any pictures from over here so you can see how much it may or may not have changed?[p]Rob

• Pete,[p] We also enjoyed Japan living there from 1997 to 2000. I was on ships the entire time and spent as much time in the gulf as I did in Japan but still met alot of great folks who we still keep in touch with. Will go back for a vist someday.
    Get that smoke a rollin and you will have no shortage of Japanese friends begging you to cook more. Have fun.[p]Paul
    Hickory Flats BBQ
    Versailles, IN