Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low on lump -- I need some quick answers!

Options
I need to cook a pork shoulder for a party tomorrow night, and I just realized that I'm low on lump.  I have enough leftover lump to fill a large egg to the bottom of the upper ring.  I can do a two-hour round trip tonight and pick up a bag at walmart, or I can wait until the morning and hope that my local hardware store has some, but that wouldn't leave me with enough time for the walmart trip if they don't.  Would what I have on hand be enough lump to finish a cook?  Does a turbo cook use less lump compared to a low and slow?  How bad would it be if my fire went out and I need to finish the cook on a gas grill?
Big thanks in advance for any input,
-- Bryan

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    If you are cooking turbo, you are good to get lump tomorrow morning. Turbo will be done in 4 hours depending on size of the pork shoulder.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How big is the shoulder?  Turbo at 350 will cook at about 45mins per lb. 

You could get it goin early in the morning.  Go get lump once everything is stabilized and be home to add lump if needed. Prolly only lookin at a 30 min loss of time this way.  30mins to get new lump burning and cleared out.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Turbo it. Same as low and slow IMO. 
    VA Beach
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Drop a cow pie in there!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If it is filled all the way to the bottom of the fire ring then you will most likely have plenty to finish the cook.  If you run out just wrap the butts in foil and finish in the oven...no biggie. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Golfguy77
    Options
    Should be enough lump.  Worst case scenario the fire dies out and you move it to the oven to finish.  You'll still get that "bbq" flavor from being in the egg for a couple hours.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    As Golfguy77 said. Cook it and finish it in the oven if needed. Low or turbo; the choice is yours.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you can use kingsford or whatever else you have in your area to blend in or finish with if you run out of lump. Surely you have a store that sells briquettes closer than an hour away.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Bottom of the fire ring will give me a 20 hour cook at 225. You should be fine. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Bottom of the fire ring would not get me over 20 hours. It should get the shoulder either done or almost done (depending on size).  You could finish in the oven if necessary.  Or you could start it in the morning and go get more lump or even briquettes while it is cooking. Add more fuel part way and you wil be good.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    You can also cut butt in half to decrease cooking time without raising temps.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Turbo and finish in the oven. The time saved by not driving around for lump should be spent marinating the cook's liver. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bpric
    bpric Posts: 28
    Options
    I appreciate all the input!  Turned out that a buddy was going to Walmart tonight anyway, so I'll just go turbo tomorrow without needing to worry about running  out of lump. Thanks again.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    firecraft.com

New Albany, Ohio 

• Golfguy77
    Options
    Glad to hear your buddy came through with some lump.  Enjoy your cook today!