Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New bacon in town Texas boys and girls

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
My bacon for lots of years has been Wright's. But of late I seem to pull half the bacon in stock looking for a package that has more than 20% meat over fat. 
Yesterday I found a new bacon (new to me anyway). I had the best BLT tonight I have ever made. This stuff is really great. Found it at HEB.  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I really want to move to Texas. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Looks like sliced loin.
    Glad you like it.

My buddy Ripnem's sig says it best.
    Know fat, know flavor.  No fat, no flavor.
    Pretty smart, for a Minesoootan.  =)

TX needs to stick to beef.
    This, is bacon.  From the heart of the Heartland.

DSM Berkwood Berkshire.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Options
    Kiolbassa makes really good sausage as well. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Now we're talkin'.  My dad's buddy Bob, brings sausages back when he visits...they are awesome.  Not sure where they come from, but will ask next time he comes through. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    Mickey said:
    Now we're talkin'.  My dad's buddy Bob, brings sausages back when he visits...they are awesome.  Not sure where they come from, but will ask next time he comes through. 
    My local Costco sells Kiolbassa beef sausage. Good stuff.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited October 2016
    Options
    San Antonio, I believe. Nice score @Mickey I'll have to try some.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Focker said:
    Mickey said:
    My local Costco sells Kiolbassa beef sausage. Good stuff.
    Get the garlic. Good stuff 

• FWRealtor
    Options
    I love H-E-B. Thanks for the heads up. I will look for this brand next time I go grocery shopping. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    next time on the BLT use peanut butter instead of mayo.........much better.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've noticed the same on Wright Brand with the meat ratio. Not sure if this is available here or not but, I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options
    tjv said:

t
    for real?

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I really want to move to Texas. 
    That is encouraging Jeremiah.....would have thought you were headed to Canada with the rest of us.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Outstanding stuff there. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I am about to make a trip back to my butcher to pick up some pork belly and in about 2-3 weeks, I will have more BACON!!!!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Mickey said:
    tjv said:

t
    for real?

it will surprise you........in a good way

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Dayum right it is good old fashion bacon.  Kiolbassa family been making good eats in SAT for as long as I can remember.  There sausage isn't bad either
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Had a chance to try what the Mrs called "$12 Bacon" this weekend.  Im not a huge bacon fan so I thought it was fine.  My 11 yo who loves bacon said it was amazing.

Finished product

Finished it was thicker than even thick cut we have tried, held up well for reheating as well.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone else had more recent opinions on Kiolbassa?  I tried the pepper one a while back and liked it, but not really more than the Costco premium thick cut or Wright's at Sam's.  But, I don't typically like peppered bacon, so if I find the regular stuff I may give it another try.

Any recent thoughts?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    The Kiolbassa family has been making quality products for as long as I can remember.  The bacon is top quality, expensive,  but worth the $$. Sells out quick at both our Central mkt and the Bee Caves HEB. 
    BTW did you get a chance to purchase Mrs Wrights when Sam's had theit special.  We bought several 4 pound packages, separated into 8 slices anvacuum packed 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    tjv said:

t
    I love peanut butter on my burgers.  I will have to try it on a BLT now.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    The Kiolbassa family has been making quality products for as long as I can remember.  The bacon is top quality, expensive,  but worth the $$. Sells out quick at both our Central mkt and the Bee Caves HEB. 
    BTW did you get a chance to purchase Mrs Wrights when Sam's had theit special.  We bought several 4 pound packages, separated into 8 slices anvacuum packed 
    I did not.  Haven't been to a Sam's for many months now that I think about it.  I like Costco's most recent high end bacon and we go there a lot more.  (I did not like their "un-cured" [BS!] bacon - certainly not in the realm of Wright's.)

For a while there, I was making my own and my wife prefers the maple thick cut from Central Market/HEB.  It's too sweet for me.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    tjv said:
    Mickey said:
    tjv said:

t
    for real?

it will surprise you........in a good way

t
    Bacon and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. If anyone has concerns about what is being suggested by @tjv, first try bacon and pb on toast. Your fears will be entirely alleviated. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've blown through a few pounds of the Kiolbassa bacon, really like it.  Thick, good flavor.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    That looks good.  I am about to start making my next batch of bacon. Went to my butcher today and got 15#'s of pork belly.  It will be ready in 2-3wks.