Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder Probve Protection

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somewhere in the past, someone posted a site that had high-temperature sheathing that could be used to protect the polder probe cables. Search as I might, I cannot find that URL. Does anyone have the site for that URL? After destroying one probe, I think I would like to protect mine a little better.

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Wise One,[p] Here's the link that was posted a while back:[p]http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_XC4_SLEEVING[p]Haven't tried the stuff. Looks like it might be useful to shield the sire from direct flames and for short cooks, but long cooks at higher temperatures will still probably destroy the probe wire (eventually, the temperature will even out across even the best insulator . . .)[p]MikeO
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    MikeO,
    Thanks. I knew someone had to have a better information retrieval system than I do.

• Wise One,
    I purchased the shealthing, the minimum order is 10 ft so you have a lifetime supply! It works well and I've had no ruined cables & probes since. I made ferrels out of brass tubing and then slipped the tubing thru and crimped them so they wouldn't move, but the main reason for the ferrels is the tubing unravels if you just look at it. The other hint is you MUST condition the tubing to a high heat by itself as it gives off some bad flumes from the material used in the manufacturing process. I even let mine air cure for a week and now there is no odor whatsoever.

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    one feral kat,[p] What diameter do you use?[p]MikeO
  • MikeO, while the 1/8 would fit the cable, you need the 3/16 because of the probe. I rigged two cables and one I ended the cable and ferrel just after the 90° bend in the probe and the other about 1.5 inches further down for more shallow meats. I probably should point out though even with this protection I don't intentionally subject the probe to temps that will fry it...it's just the added protection to the sensor element. BTW when I put the lid down in goes on just the metal cable, otherwise with the sheathing over the cable it holds it up too much.