Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Actually getting pizza on egg and off the pizza peel????

Options

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^
    I like to sprinkle both semolina and flour, swirl it together.  Key is to work quickly from dough opening to launch, and keep it moving.  Shake it after each step.  Once dough is open. After sauce.  After cheese.  After each topping. Right before launch.

Assemble, launch with wood.
    Spin, pull, slice with metal.

Screens lift the dough off the surface.  The same hot surface that helps give you spring, and spotting.

Parchment and screens are for pansies.  You won't see any in Naples.  Learn the curve, respect it.  This isn't as hard as everyone makes it to be.

Real pizzaiolos, have been baking without the handicap of parchment and screens for a long, long time.
    Can you share a post or two of your pizza cooks, this pansie has made thousands of pizza including using cornmeal and screens and have decided screens work best for me, I bake at 475/500 and pull the screen when the pie is firm enough to slide directly to the stone. Are you baking at 700 to 900 degrees if so you are right a screen probably isn't right for that cook.
    Here is a picture or two of my pansie pizzas
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Bit confused...pizza gets cooked at 600+*....parcement has a 400* igniting temperature?
    Correct.  That is why you see the recommendation by many to pull the parchment out after a couple of minutes of cooking.  If you leave it, the exposed paper will burn.

The paper between the dough and the stone will of course never get to the 450º temp, it is just the exposed parchment that will burn.  You can leave it but you may end up with burnt paper ash falling on the pizza - not a topping that most will like.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    Options

My question...when I make cookies, I use parchment paper.....I should be removing this parchment paper after a few minutes on the stone and the cookies start to take some shape, or leave it on the parchment paper on it's own?

No need to remove the parchment when making cookies.  Parchment is good up to 450º.  I can't think of any cookies baked at temps that high.  When cooking pizza, pulling the parchment is recommended because the exposed paper will burn if left too long at pizza cooking temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Tried parchment a couple of times. Didn't like the crust. At all. Tried a screen once. It was worse.

Semolina on a wooden peel. Not much, just a pinch will do. Shake it a bit after each ingredient is added. I have two peels, identical wood.
    Thanks, I'll try Semolina next time!   I've been using corn meal, it works, but semolina may be a little smaller, more likely what I see at an authentic pizzeria on the bottom of my crust, eh?
    Corn meal comes in various size grinds.  Semolina is smaller than course ground corn meal but not the finer ground corn meal.  They both work well in terms of allowing the dough to slide off the peel. I prefer semolina because of taste - corn meal has a corn taste, which I don't like on my pizza.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^
    I like to sprinkle both semolina and flour, swirl it together.  Key is to work quickly from dough opening to launch, and keep it moving.  Shake it after each step.  Once dough is open. After sauce.  After cheese.  After each topping. Right before launch.

Screens lift the dough off the surface.  The same hot surface that helps give you spring, and spotting.

Parchment and screens are for pansies.  You won't see any in Naples.  Learn the curve, respect it.  This isn't as hard as everyone makes it to be.

Real pizzaiolos, have been baking without the handicap of parchment and screens for a long, long time.
    You won't see anyone in Naples making a pizza in a BGE either :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Semolina
    Corn Meal Dusting
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As long as we're talking about semolina (or corn meal or flour, for that matter), that stuff goes only on the peel, not on the pizza stone. And just a pinch please. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    There's a good youtube video (think its BGE UK channel) where the guy just builds his pizza real quick on the pizza stone in the egg. From memory he wasn't cooking nuclear either. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Focker said:
    Parchment and screens are for pansies. 
    Yes.  I can't understand the lack of desire to learn how to do it right, by right I mean the easiest, fastest & most effective way with the fewest steps & props.  And forget about Naples, you won't see them in any pizza shop which oughta tell the parchment crowd something.  It's like advocating the use of liquid smoke on your low & slows because it seems easier.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    All I know is that after all this chatter... I want to make some pizza!!

I just can't do screens...I can't...I appreciate that it works, but every single franchise pizza restaurant that I abhor, makes those ritz cracker bottomed pizzas on screen trays because its the only way they can get their rotating staff of untrained high school employees to make a consistent pie.   I can see how it would be easier, though, I really can.

While you don't see BGEs in Naples, I have seen *many* trained chefs using BGEs at their homes and when visiting friends because it seems to be the closest you can get to an authentic pizza oven in your backyard, without building or buying something specific for 'za.   So we do have quite the universal little tool here.  :plus_one:

I do agree, though, we all do it different and as long as the results are enjoyed it doesn't matter.   @Grillmagic , that finished pie of yours looks perfect!  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I recommend parchment paper as well.  Roll out you dough on it, add toppings, scope it up with the peel, put it on the hot stone for about 4 minutes at 500-550, turn a 1/4 turn and pull out the parchment paper.  Let it go for about another 4 or 5 minutes and it should be good to go.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2016
    Options
    One way to do it is to build the pie on the counter (dusted with flour), immediately drag it onto a very lightly floured peel and quickly launch it into the oven. Go to 3:10 in this Mangieri video...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^

Can you share a post or two of your pizza cooks, this pansie has made thousands of pizza including using cornmeal and screens and have decided screens work best for me, I bake at 475/500 and pull the screen when the pie is firm enough to slide directly to the stone. Are you baking at 700 to 900 degrees if so you are right a screen probably isn't right for that cook.
    That's your best..out of "thousands"?  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^

Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^

That was last Friday's pizza and I stand by it, any chance you share your last pizza pic?
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

=)  Here's my last pizza

My round pizzas are usually hit or miss.  I'm getting a little better at them.  Nothing picture worthy just yet.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    One way to do it is to build the pie on the counter (dusted with flour), immediately drag it onto a very lightly floured peel and quickly launch it into the oven. Go to 3:10 in this Mangieri video...

Thanks for posting that, was enjoyable to watch.
    One thing I do that's unconventional, is add the basil when the pie comes off the Egg; just the heat from the pie releases the oils/aroma (I do chiffonade the leaves also).  Charred basil just doesn't have any appeal (<=har!) to me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KiterTodd
    Options
    This entire thread is pointless, by the way...  everyone knows the best way to cook pizzas is on your ManGrates!

:o
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options

@Grillmagic,
    Ok, as requested.  
    Last two.

If you're still using screens at 1000, you are doing it wrong.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• KiterTodd
    Options
    @Focker, that crust looks perfect.  I have never seen it's equal in a home cooked pie.

Now the egg on a slice... it's a thing now.  I get it.  It's not my thing, but it's your pie.  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It's looking like another Pizza Throw down on this thread.  That was a fun one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Focker said:

@Grillmagic,
    Ok, as requested.  
    Last two.

If you're still using screens at 1000, you are doing it wrong.  
    This looks awesome, hopefully you will share with me and the  original poster KJS with 4 posts step by step your method to create such success. KJS with a total of 4 posts was having trouble getting pizza off the peel to which I suggested they try using a screen, and yes I have made 1000s of pizzas. Was this made on your egg? I assume it was and bravo. You can tell your  a pro turning out product like this and no pansie. Love the pie shaped plates.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    parchment paper, works great!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I'm always entertained watching what threads go off into tangents like this of highly debatable items.  So far, outside of politics and only doing things Egg related....... Lump, Pizza, and KAB's are very sensitive topics!

I do agree with one thing......I want Pizza for lunch now!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    In telling you parchment paper is the bomb!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Semolina

Or WD40

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Parchment rounds are the easiest and best way to go IMO. I bought 500 for $30 bucks on Amazon. Build the pie on floured parchment round just lift the edge to drag it onto the peel. Use the same process for transfer to the stone. Easy as pizza pie. Here is one we call a Naughty Margarita (Traditional fresh tomato / basil margarita with a pepperoni topping. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Focker said:
    Parchment and screens are for pansies. 
    Yes.  I can't understand the lack of desire to learn how to do it right, by right I mean the easiest, fastest & most effective way with the fewest steps & props.  And forget about Naples, you won't see them in any pizza shop which oughta tell the parchment crowd something.  It's like advocating the use of liquid smoke on your low & slows because it seems easier.

I find parchment adds to the smoky flavour after it ignites.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Focker said:
    Yep^^^^

You won't see anyone in Naples making a pizza in a BGE either :smiley:
    Thank God, Italians do not settle for mediocrity.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @KiterTodd,
    Thanks for the nice words.  Pansy wasn't my first p word choice, but I stuck to the G code.  ;)

The second pie, I had some pullet eggs from my friend, wanted to try it.  It's good, but an extra step to put them on properly.  I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Believe it or not, the Mangrates will actually work well for pizza.  At 8lbs each of Ohio CI, you would need 24lbs to do a 12" pie. This weight, when given a good preheat, is a great thing.  

I have been using my 16" Griswold round griddle with bail as a pizza deck in my oven with better results than stone.  Similar in assesment to Kenji's in depth review/comparison you can find on serious eats.

A thin crust dough would be ideal, cooking the dough slightly first.  Then flip, top lightly with it on the CI to finish.  Trust me, CI Mangrates in the right hands, will work.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Brandon
    Quad Cities