Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

t-rex etc.

Herm
Herm Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first t-rex steak tonight, and I have a few questions. I think I have the whole t-rex process figured out, however, I'd like to cook some sides as well, and I'm not sure when to do this. I have a sweet potato and some skewers of peppers and onions.
So when do I cook those? I figure with the egg getting up to searing temp, it will be too hot for them. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
I guess I need another egg already!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Herm,
    they can go on during the 400 or so dwell. when the steak comes off, let it stand a few minutes, as the other stuff cooks.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Herm,
    A whole sweet potato will take about an hour on the Egg.
    Dwell time will not cook it. I would either mico wave the tato or start your egg early at 350-375 and throw on the sweet potato for 45min. Good time to add some ABT's as well.
    When the ABT's are ready pull the potato and wrap in foil. It might be very close to being done. Start getting your Egg to T-Rex temp and enjoy the ABT's. Toss on the steaks for sear and remove to rest as you bring Egg down to 350 or so. Add foiled potato, (if needed) peppers and onions as well as your rested steaks. Pull steaks at desired tast for another short rest. Your veggies are now ready.
    Time to enjoy,
    Darian[p]PS drink at least on beer between each step.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Herm
    Photo Egg,[p]Thanks for the tips.
    I was thinking of cutting the potato into smaller pieces, maybe quarter it or something so it wouldn't take too long. more like sweet potato fries maybe?
    and the beer per step is a given!

• stike
    Herm,
    if you plank them, coat in oil and salt and pepper, they'll do just as i mentioned... cook in the time you are doing the dwell plus a little as the steak rests

• Herm
    stike,[p]Thanks! I'll have some pictures later on.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    stike,
    you could extend the 20 minute rest time as well to cook those potatoes.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Herm,
    they can blacken a bit (which we like). keep an eye on them, maybe move them to the side too

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Herm,
    I would get the taters on first,they usually take an hour to hour and a half to cook.Bring them inside put inside microwave or oven to keep warm Get Egg up to temp and do your steak,then during the dwell time get your veggies on the grill and cook.

• Herm
    Everything came out great. Thanks for the help. The potatoes did take a while, but they were amazing. The steak was one of the best I've ever eaten.
    Trex1.jpg[p]Trex2.jpg[p]Trex3.jpg