Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE High Temp Gasket

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making pizzas this weekend fried my gasket. 6 inches of the gasket is hanging into the egg near the hinge.[p]Does anybody have a report on the "new" high temp BGE gasket?[p]I would like to replace this once, not once a year. I need a full report.[p]Thanks,
E

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I can't give you a "full report", as the new gasket is just too new. As I mentioned a day or two ago, I just got it by order from Altanta. I think it's made of Nomex (the stuff race car drivers protect themselves with) The mothershhip recommends using 3M super 77 spray adhesive along with the self stick stuff already on the new gasket. I only have one 350º cook with it so far, so we'll have to wait a while for the durability test. Hope this helps.
    Mike

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    FlaMike,[p]Do you remember which number you called at the HQ?[p]E

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Big Green Egg Retail Showroom
    Here is their info, got it from the "contact us" link on the home page.[p]Retail Orders
    3417 Lawrenceville Hwy
    Tucker,GA 30084-5802
    Telephone: (770) 934-5300
    Retail Fax: (770) 934-5399
    Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-6:00pm ET
    Serving retail customers in Atlanta GA and the continental United States [p]Hope it helps. Mike[p]

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    FlaMike,
    I've been running it for about 3 months on my medium and large. The medium is my steak cooker and always goes 700+. Probably 5 or 6 times a month. No issues. [p]My large was my first gasket install and I messed it up. The gasket has pulled back from the 3m spray glue and it just kind of floats on the top of the ceramic. I am re-installing later. I think I used too much 3m spray. Both gaskets are browning up a bit but neither is burned.[p]Doug

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    with that 3m glue, its not usually a matter of to much, but more of letting it tack up real good before you put the pieces together.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    and spraying both pieces will give it a death grip...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    stike,[p]So it is a high temp contact cement?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    FlaMike,[p]Thanks Mike[p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Thanks. I think this is the way I will be going. Maybe get the cracked pieces replaced too.[p]Thanks again.[p]E

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    stike,
    I'll try that with the replacement. I will say the stuff is super sticky and sprays all over the place. I have ring in my garage from the overspray. I can't imagine spraying the gasket as well ... but I'll give it a try.[p]Thanks!
    Doug