Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpner

Options
2»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I have the ken onion. They suggest 25 degrees for kitchen knives.  What do you guys think?  I have a couple of good German knives 
    Is that 25 degrees inclusive, or 25 per side? If inclusive, most kitchen knives can't hold that. If 25 per side, that closer to what a wood chisel (usually 30, w. a micro bevel), or a heavy duty field knife might use. As mentioned in the above vid, standard kitchen knife bevels ran between 20 - 24 per side. Part of the design was influenced by the use of stainless steel, which wasn't as hard as carbon, and part the way the knife was used. The Japanese blades for a long time were mostly carbon steel, as might be used for tools, and were generally very well heat treated. They could hold a finer edge, and were used to make pull/push cuts, not rocking cuts like the mostly German style Euro knives.

There have been a lot of improvements in the steel composition and heat treatment over the last few years. If the knives are fairly new, they may hold a 15 degree bevel per side. 18 might be a little more serviceable.

I have one older knife, ca 1976, made by a collaboration between the French company, Sabatier, and the Swiss tool company, Hoffritz. The blade is currently at 18 degrees, I tried 15, but the steel was a little too brittle, and the edge would develop tiny chips.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    If you have not spent your $$ on a le creuset ot then you might want to check out the edge pro system or the Wicked Edge system.  -:)  Neither cheap but both yeild great results. (I am trying to justify to myself the purchase of a Wicked edge system).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I don't like the Ken Onion because it appears to sharpen each side IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION of belt travel.    That should make a nice BURR.

Best knife sharpening system?    Start with the SPYDERCO:

Finish with a steel or diamond impregnated ceramic and on to LEATHER.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker/dp/B004HIZKHE
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

So this is the sharpner I currently have....is it a piece of junk before I go replacing it, or am I just an idiot on using it correctly?

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Chefs-Choice-Model-250-Hybrid-Knife-Sharpener-P518C27.aspx

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    All fine recommendations, but I was once told by an old timer that you needed to be very careful with any type of electrical sharpener.  He said some of them worked exceptionally well, but you had to be careful not to take too much material off of the blade.  The sharpening wheels spun so fast you could wear down a knife quickly.  He also said you had to be careful of the heat generated on the knife that could affect or ruin the knifes structural integrity.  He always used a stone, but also liked the Spyderco system.  Just some more info to help you make your choice;)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I use a Chef Choice 2 stage electric. Once the knives are sharpened only the fine sharpening side is needed. With a sharp knife 'Roast Beef Can Be Cut So Thin The In-Laws Will Never Come Back'.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I agree with the comments on the EdgePro. I have been using one for years. It is easy to learn and does a great job!