Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CUTCO CUTLERY

Looking for someone who may own a set that could offer a review.  I have been in the market for some new cutlery and they happen to be at a Costco road show about 2 hours away from me.  appreciate any help!

- Erik
VA Beach

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have their cheese knife. It's fantastic.lol
    Sorry, that's the extent of my experience.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Do a forum search. They've been discussed in many threads.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    SWMBO went on a Cutco buying binge 5-6 years ago (helping a good friend's kid earn $$ for college).  Beyond a set of table knives purchased around 15 years ago (and are still sharp and holding up well) she acquired several additional pieces to include two paring knives and a couple of different length carvers that I am aware of.  All have held up well and retained a sharp edge.  If I were to buy anything from Cutco it would be the table or steak knives and then individually shop for additional pieces from other sources.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    We have had a set for about 15 years and they have worked well for us. I sharpen them periodically but they hold an edge well. I really like the serrated knives. They hold their edge well (never sharpened) and cut well.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We have a set of 6 CUTCOs:
    Chef 
    Bread
    Filet
    Paring
    Some weird one 
    Some spreader/slicer thing

Bought from a neighbor college student about 30 years ago. I use most on a regular basis and they have never been sharpened and are wickedly sharp still now. Even the shine keeps them brand new looking! Of course they were overpriced and we knew it, but that neighbor was a good kid needing experience and building some self confidence.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have Cutco Vegetable knife, chef, and cleaver to compliment my Henckles. No complaints
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Same here, bought four of them a couple years ago from a college neighbor kid.  No complaints here.  Still sharp as @#!%.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• HeavyG
    edited October 2016
    RRP said:

...Bought from a neighbor college student about 30 years ago. I use most on a regular basis and they have never been sharpened and are wickedly sharp still now...
    30 years of usage, never sharpened, still wicked sharp.

Yowza! That's some miracle steel right there. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Yikes!  Those things ain't cheap!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited October 2016
    Similar story as others. We bought a set about 15 years ago from a kid working his way through college, so we overpaid, but knew it. I use at least one of them almost every day. I've never sharpened the serrated knives, but I sharpen the chef's knife frequently. They still work really well. I bought a few of the steak knives, since our set didn't come with them, for a more reasonable price. There are finer knives, but these definitely get the job done.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• I bought a paring knife from a kid at church that sells them. great knife VERY sharp, danger danger quicker than a cobra.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Sounds like a quality product. 

@tikigriller they are for sure. You have said it several times here, hold on to your wallet!!  I am betting I see you posting your new cutco knives in under a week lol!!!
    VA Beach
  • tikigriller
    @vb_egger the wife has officially put the hammer down now on my new habit!  I will say, I have an eye looking for a good trimming knife.  Looking at the Brisket I got from Costco yesterday, when I decide to give that one a go again, it is going to take some serious trimming from me and I don't have the best knife in the world to get that job done.......Most of my buys however outside of the meat,blackstone and FB200 flutter under the $100 radar...those never seem to cause me too much heat.

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • I love my Cutco knives.... They are very sharp and stay that way. We use them all the time.

I have the following.  

- petite chef
    - trimmer
    - cheese
    - paring
    - spreader
    - 8 table knives (they cut any meat easily and you just don't need the large steak knives)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    @vb_egger the wife has officially put the hammer down now on my new habit!  I will say, I have an eye looking for a good trimming knife.  Looking at the Brisket I got from Costco yesterday, when I decide to give that one a go again, it is going to take some serious trimming from me and I don't have the best knife in the world to get that job done.......Most of my buys however outside of the meat,blackstone and FB200 flutter under the $100 radar...those never seem to cause me too much heat.
     Your wife won't even notice with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S131-6PCP-Boning-Knife-Sani-Safe/dp/B000LEHWCO

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-Sani-Safe-Roast-Slicer/dp/B00CHU2SHE

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tikigriller

@weberwho Thanks.  Arrives in 2 days!  this looks like the one I saw on a Franklin Video........

It's official...I think I am now sport for all of you...who can get me to buy what next!

Livermore, California
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

@weberwho Thanks.  Arrives in 2 days!  this looks like the one I saw on a Franklin Video........

It's official...I think I am now sport for all of you...who can get me to buy what next!

You're correct. Same one as Franklin uses
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Note, in his own book, Franklin has a pic using a Shun fillet knife for trimming the uncooked brisket. As good a cook as he is, I'm sure the brisket would just about fall apart w. any knife. The D-R is fine, but for a clod like me, I like something a little sharper.
  • HeavyG
    edited October 2016
    I think I'd buy these rather than the Cutco knives. $14 on meh.com today. BAM!!

• tikigriller
    HeavyG said:
    I think I'd buy these rather than the Cutco knives. $14 on meh.com today. BAM!!

I see this and instantly think Cupcakes

Livermore, California
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have had a full set of Cutco for 38 years now.  I have sent them back for [free +shipping] sharpening once.  A couple of them need sharpening but are still pretty good at cutting.  I have the 8" FrChe, Slicer, Small and Large carvers, Butcher, Spatula/knife, 2 forks, 8 steak, a fillet and paring knife.  I was once one of those "raising money for something".  I think I barely recouped my investment in the sales demo set. Maybe not even that much.  I have a spatula that the handle cracked, sent it back and they sent me a new one. 
  • RRP
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

...Bought from a neighbor college student about 30 years ago. I use most on a regular basis and they have never been sharpened and are wickedly sharp still now...

Well, my wife never has used them as sharp knives scare her and I am very careful with them keeping them safely stored and protected. Also hand washed and polished. Granted I do not use them for routine tasks as I prefer other cheaper knives. OTOH I have never tried all the salesman's demo tricks we saw of cutting heavy hemp rope, slicing shoe leather and cutting small nails in two. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

OTOH I have never tried all the salesman's demo tricks we saw of cutting heavy hemp rope, slicing shoe leather and cutting small nails in two. 
    Well, I did do all of those "tricks".  Somewhere along the line I lost the scissors I used to cut pennys in half.  (lost it in move somewhere maybe 10 years ago?)
    With the slicer, I could slice a piece of wonder bread 4 times turning one into 5 pieces of very thin bread. 
  • RRP
    onedbguru said:

Well, I did do all of those "tricks".  Somewhere along the line I lost the scissors I used to cut pennys in half.  (lost it in move somewhere maybe 10 years ago?)
    With the slicer, I could slice a piece of wonder bread 4 times turning one into 5 pieces of very thin bread. 
    I forgot about those scissors which I still use daily - those came as a freebie along with the knife block as I recall.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I got some through some swindling and labor from a co-worker.  I like them but I like my japanese still better (razor sharp).  They are nice but I don't know if I would pay for them.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I have a pairing knife that Cutco gave me after an altercation at Costco. It's nice, but the Shuns I have are sharper. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

That's center cut steel my friend. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

No just Rons full of **** like normal. Multiple ounces of ****.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

No just Rons full of **** like normal. Multiple ounces of ****.
    I sharpened a cutco for a guy in my neighborhood that actually uses it and it was like 10 years old and hadn't been sharpened. It had chips in the blade and was so dull you couldn't have cut a tomato with it. It was a solid blade and not hard to get back to sharp again but there are better knives available much cheaper. Also buying a set isn't a good idea youusually end up using the 8" chef and a paring knife.. Save some money and get a shun premier 8" chef and paring knife and you'll have good looking and good functioning real knoves.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    We have a pairing knife chef blade and some steak knives, bought them almost 30 years ago. The serrated knives really held edges great. Recently sent them all off to be sharpened and they are like new. Definitely have gotten my money's worth. There are probably better but no complaints here. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA