Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rub - Your Favorite?

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to try a different rib rub soon ... what's your favorite, and is it store bought or hand crafted?[p]

Comments

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    meinbmw,
    Definately Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust. Coating of plain ole hot dog mustard, then Dizzy.

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]DIZZY PIG RUBS! Dizzy Dust and Raging River are both great on rivbs, chicken, fish/seafood,eggs, cereal,... (lol) [p]In fact, they are ALL good on just about everything! Someone posted that they liked Raging River on "over easy eggs" and I tried it and THEY ARE![p]I recently got my first batch of rubs and I love them all![p]Do yourself (and your friends and family) a favor and check out their site and try 'em![p][p]

[ul][li]DIZZY PIG RUBS[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    meinbmw,
    Here's what I use. This is a recipe out of one of the BBQ Bible books. I simply omitted some of the salt called for in it.[p]2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    2/3 cup granulated sugar (You can use regular sugar but turbinado sugar works better because it doesn't burn as easily)
    1/4 cup seasoned salt (Lawry's works best)
    1/4 cup smoked salt
    1/4 cup onion powder (not onion salt)
    1/4 cup celery powder or ground celery seeds (not celery salt)
    2 TBS fresh black pepper
    2 TBS chili pure powder (not a blend)
    2 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp poultry seasoning
    1 tsp ground ginger (powdered, not fresh)
    1 tsp garlic granulated garlic (you can use powdered but granulated works best - I think it's a milder flavor)
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper[p]Nothin' fancy, but I like it.[p]Kelly

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]I use the Dizzy Pig rubs mostly now, but I also have all the Big Green Egg rubs. They are excellent as well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    meinbmw,[p] Just now received Dizzy Pig and Ken Stone sampler packs to test.[p] Until now, I have really enjoyed Spicewine Ironworks "Hen and Hog" rub. They only do it and "Heifer Dust" and use them regularly in competition. [p] They are sugar-based rubs and I have appreciated their approach .... you salt and pepper as you choose, then apply the rub. A salt mixture is suggested (onion, garlic, celery, hickory) and more finely ground pepper to avoid biting into large chunks during tasting. [p] Very much a 'privately-made' rub .... and their BBQ sauces are darned good. Prices are too.[p] I really expect to find some excellent choices in the Dizzy Pig and Ken Stone samplers too.[p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    BabyBacks2.jpg
    <p />meinbmw,[p]I did 2 of these racks with a rub I bought in Longview, TX from Bodacious Barbeque and the 3rd one with my ol' stand by from DP...Ragin' River. All 3 were excellent!

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,[p]Hmmmm..... Rib kabobs. Interesting concept!! :)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    EggRacer,
    I am happy to see some one finally post a picture of how I have done ribs for years.
    I figured this one out many years ago as a way to fit a single rack of ribs on a Small BGE. Heck, I even did a rack on a mini at and Eggtoberfest many years ago.[p]Thanks for the picture,
    RhumAndJerk