Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

have about 60 pounds green tomatoes

any recipes out there for piccalilli, any other ideas. mostly san marzanos 
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006

We pickle them with great success.  Don't use jarred garlic.

Add to each jar – 4 oz. white vinegar

1 tbl canning salt

1 tsp sugar

1/8 tsp alum

1 – 2 pieces of garlic

1 head of dill

Apollo Beach, FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Hyman's Seafood in Charleston has a great spicy garlic alfredo sauce they serve with fried green tomatoes...all served on a bed of cheesy grits. I've copied it several times with very delicious results.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2016
    Tomatoes, Green, Fried, Richard Fl

We like to slice them about 1/4-3/8" thick, dredge in an equal parts flour and seasoned bread crumbs mixture. Fry in 1/2" peanut oil or what ever you use. Be sure the oil is hot 325+. 2-3 minutes total turning once. Careful not to burn.

INGREDIENTS:

Recipe Type: Side Dish

Source
    Author: Richard Howe
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/05/06*

Plan "B"

Eggs, Tomatoes, Green, Fried, Gullah Eggs Benedict

INGREDIENTS:
    4-6 Pieces Fried Green Tomatoes
    2 Poached Eggs
    6-8 Shrimp, Cajun
    Hollandaise Sauce

PROCEDURE:

1. Use the fried tomatoes in place of English muffins, eggs, hollandaise sauce and then shrimp on top.

Recipe Type: Breakfast, Main Dish

Source
    Source: Sun-On-The Beach, Satellite Beach, Fl, 2009/06/15

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited October 2016
    most of my eating tomatoes ripened up and have a few for frying. got enough ripened san marzano plum tomatoes that im stewing for later, maybe 8 quarts worth, plants were huge this year, the green san marzanos i have are from one plant, over a hundred green ones after picking twice that in ripened ones. we dont see tomato plants this big up here, one was a good 12 foot tall =)  looks like piccalilli and pickles, howards piccalilli used to be a stones throw from me, it was sad when ss pierce bought them out and ruined the product, hoping to find a similar recipe, i think it was just green tomatoes, onion, and maybe some green pepper all coarsely chopped with a sweat vinegar for canning.
    fukahwee maine

• let me know how you make out with the piccalilli recipe.

i have one jar left of mom's piccalilli... don't have her recipe.

grew up with the stuff. 
  • fishlessman
    i think this one sounds right without the pimentos and hot peppers, might make two batches , one with some hots.  my last bottles of the howards from methuen cost us about ten grand in chapter 11, we did get a whole case though :o

http://recipecurio.com/vintage-recipe-for-green-tomato-piccalilli-clipping/

fukahwee maine

• i think this one sounds right without the pimentos and hot peppers, might make two batches , one with some hots.  my last bottles of the howards from methuen cost us about ten grand in chapter 11, we did get a whole case though :o

http://recipecurio.com/vintage-recipe-for-green-tomato-piccalilli-clipping/

actually have two jars, now that I looked...  red peppers (no pimento or hots).

also have a jar of the mustard pickles... good stuff.

ever hear of "Million Dollar Pickles"?  sweet, with a bit of allspice or cinnamon?  those were my favorite that she made
  • fishlessman
    had pickles on the list this year, the cukes just did not produce, theres a sunflower in that raised bed, found out later they do not get along. did some curried zucchini pickles this year though with tumeric, mild but can be eaten by the jar =)

fukahwee maine

• Fried green tomato BLTs on sourdough. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Damn....I meant to get me some green tomatoes so I could fry them this summer......  lol missed opportunity
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I like fried green tomatoes, but there is no way you will eat 60 pounds worth. As an aside, I sometimes like to use panko rather than cracker meal or cornmeal for a coating.   If you wrap put the tomatoes in a box with crumpled newspaper between layers and store them in a cool place, they will gradually ripen and you can have fresh tomatoes for the next month or so.  The cooler the temperature, the longer thy will take to ripen.   Just be sure to check frequently to be sure they don't go rotten.  Another alternative might be to sell (or trade) some of them to a farm stand or a restaurant.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

You could try a salsa Verdi, substituting green tomatoes for tomatillos.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    edited October 2016

I've had an Indian pickle that was green tomato based. Can't find the recipe. Here is one I've seen. Piccalilli is a Brit take on an Indian pickle

Green Tomato Pickle with Green Chilies and Garlic
    Ingredients
    1. About 1 1/2 cups of chopped green tomatoes
    2. 6-8 green chilies chopped (I used the long variety) about 1/2 cup or so
    3. 6-8 garlic cloves sliced
    4. 4 tbsp of lemon juice
    Spice Powder
    5. 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
    6. 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    7. a tsp of asfoetida (I used the block kind)
    7. 3 tbsp of red chili powder (Indian kind which is not mixed with any other spices)
    8. 2 tsp turmeric powder
    9. salt to taste
    10. seasonings: mustard seeds and curry leaves (wipe or dry the curry leaves of any moisture)
    11. 1/2 cup of sesame oil (another 1/4 cup more if needed)

Method
    1. In a big mouthed pan or kadai heat half the oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and when they start to pop add the curry leaves.
    2. Add the chopped tomatoes, green chilies and the garlic and let them cook for about 15 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile toast the fenugreek, mustard seeds and asfoetida for a few minutes till the fenugreek seeds to turn color. Add the mustard seeds a few minutes as they tend to roast faster. Cool and blend to a powder. (I use a coffee grinder for this).
    4. Add the spice powder,salt and lemon juice after stirring the tomatoes and let them cook for about 15 minutes more. Add more oil if required at this point. (see note)
    5. Add the chili powder and let it cook till the oil pools on the side.

Cool and preserve in airtight containers.

Note:
    1. I add a bit extra oil as it keeps the pickle fresh longer out of the fridge.
    2. Even if oil is added towards the end let it heat up for 5 minutes.

Note: I've never seen and Indian recipe that uses sesame oil in that quantity. I think mustard oil would be more suitable

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman

I've had an Indian pickle that was green tomato based. Can't find the recipe. Here is one I've seen. Piccalilli is a Brit take on an Indian pickle

Green Tomato Pickle with Green Chilies and Garlic
    Ingredients
    1. About 1 1/2 cups of chopped green tomatoes
    2. 6-8 green chilies chopped (I used the long variety) about 1/2 cup or so
    3. 6-8 garlic cloves sliced
    4. 4 tbsp of lemon juice
    Spice Powder
    5. 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
    6. 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    7. a tsp of asfoetida (I used the block kind)
    7. 3 tbsp of red chili powder (Indian kind which is not mixed with any other spices)
    8. 2 tsp turmeric powder
    9. salt to taste
    10. seasonings: mustard seeds and curry leaves (wipe or dry the curry leaves of any moisture)
    11. 1/2 cup of sesame oil (another 1/4 cup more if needed)

Method
    1. In a big mouthed pan or kadai heat half the oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and when they start to pop add the curry leaves.
    2. Add the chopped tomatoes, green chilies and the garlic and let them cook for about 15 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile toast the fenugreek, mustard seeds and asfoetida for a few minutes till the fenugreek seeds to turn color. Add the mustard seeds a few minutes as they tend to roast faster. Cool and blend to a powder. (I use a coffee grinder for this).
    4. Add the spice powder,salt and lemon juice after stirring the tomatoes and let them cook for about 15 minutes more. Add more oil if required at this point. (see note)
    5. Add the chili powder and let it cook till the oil pools on the side.

Cool and preserve in airtight containers.

Note:
    1. I add a bit extra oil as it keeps the pickle fresh longer out of the fridge.
    2. Even if oil is added towards the end let it heat up for 5 minutes.

Note: I've never seen and Indian recipe that uses sesame oil in that quantity. I think mustard oil would be more suitable

i am going to need to buy a curry plant, i dont have access to those but i think it would grow well at camp. is it the sesame oil that preserves it, i dont think ive ever seen a pickle recipe like this, i will definately do this next year. like the green salsa idea, am going to do the green tomato piccalilli and green salsa. i bought some big plates for the grinder, hope it works quickly
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    You can usually get curry leaf at any east Asian market. Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai or Malay/Phillipino

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    You can usually get curry leaf at any east Asian market. Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai or Malay/Phillipino
    i lost two markets lately, one chinese based and one korean, the owner at the korean place was really good at getting me what i need. the one place left has lemon grass but thats about it.  i bought a keiffer lime tree years ago because i couldnt even get that without travelling down near boston. for some reason im in an area that people hate curry anything, they never had it but hate it nontheless =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    9 quarts of piccalilli and 8 salsa, the jars did not have spell check, im ok with that =)

fukahwee maine

• Nice stuff. Looks good man
  • fishlessman
    Nice stuff. Looks good man
    amazed this year what came out of 3 tiny 3.5 foot diameter raised beds. still have a freezer full of red plum tomatoes for sauce and a few heads of red cabbage to be pickled with some apples =)
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Get the joke.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS