Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with my old stuff when I get my LBGE?

Options
I'm planning on buying a large Big Green Egg at the end of the month but I still need to do some convincing of my wife (SWMBO).

My plan is sort of a redneck/poor man's outdoor kitchen using the Egg and my existing equipment. So I am looking for ideas. Currently I have a gas grill that has 4 burners and a side burner for pots and pans along with an electric smoker and a Weber kettle with a pizza kit.

Plan is ti utilize the gasser for really quick last minute type cooks of hot dogs or hamburgers etc. The electric smoker will be  more of a warming rack and used for smoking with an Amazen pellet tube smoker (already have it and the pellets). I have no idea what to do with the Webber.

Any suggestions about how to turn this equipment into a sort of outdoor kitchen and sell my wife on the idea. I already told her I would take over the majority of the cooking and that most Eggheads use their Eggs 3 or 4 times a week. I am a software developer and work remotely from home so plenty of time to do the cooking.

Thanks for helping out an egger wannabe.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Keep it all.  They all have their time and place. 
    This

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Do what most do w/ old gassers: storage

Bonus Question: How many times have you used the side burner?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Easier to beg forgiveness then ask permission...but you must weigh the downside of that approach.  
    As above, keep it til you figure out how the BGE has changed your cooking style.
    You will likely find that the relatively limited single level of real estate on the LBGE will lead to accessorizing it.  BTW-this place can suck the $$ out of you before you know it.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Do what most do w/ old gassers: storage

Bonus Question: How many times have you used the side burner?
    Same as most everyone else - Zero.
    MiniMax 04/17

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    the gasser is handy when your feeding a crowd and theres lots of kids and you can cook alot of corn on the cob on it, the egg doesnt cook much corn if your going for bulk quantities.. i liked my kettle but when i got the egg it turned into an herb garden
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd keep it all until you have your egg.  After a few months you'll have a good idea what is just taking up space. 

I was in collector mode for a while.  I've since gotten rid of a lot of cooking devices (have not regretted cleaning house yet).  

Phoenix 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Burgers on the gasser....not anymore....you are about to have some smash burgers and your burger world will change as well.

Keep it all.  As others have said, you just never know what you will use, and believe it or not, once I got myEgg, I started using the side burner on the gasser...something about wanting to stay outside with the cook as much as possible...but I may just be weird.

You are going to love the Egg.........but 3-4 times a week?  Cmon-----I'm 6-7 so far with ease, and now people are starting to ask for certain meals again!  Just pulled a butt out of the freezer to day for Sunday!  Game Hens tonight.  Going by Costco tomorrow for tomorrow's dinner...$$$$$$...Friday will be Smash Burgers again......Saturday Filet's.........wait, have to squeeze in the smoked spaghetti pretty soon again.......

Great People around here....I can't begin to express how much they have helped with cooking.....as well as spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Just tell your wife that you'd rather buy a Big Green Egg over hookers and coke with the extra money. What could go wrong? ;)

In all honesty go for it! Take the plunge and the wife will reap much of the benefits from it. Win/win!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    my gasser is my storage unit....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Keep it all.  They all have their time and place. 
    This
    Another vote for this.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Some good ideas. Thanks.

Next I will need help planning out the weekly meals so that they build off of each other. Like doing a chicken or a brisket early in the week then using the leftover meat for stew or tacos later in the week.

With 4 college age kids at home the leftovers are limited.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The BGE and a thermapen will change your world if you are a serious cook. My gasser is in the barn; I'm waiting on my son to haul it off. The webber might be handy for that 22" paella pan in your future. Use the smoker for cheese and such. Welcome to the systematic and incremental journey into good food and poverty.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Some good ideas. Thanks.

Next I will need help planning out the weekly meals so that they build off of each other. Like doing a chicken or a brisket early in the week then using the leftover meat for stew or tacos later in the week.

With 4 college age kids at home the leftovers are limited.
    Pulled pork works great in many dishes, relatively cheap, and will reheat great. A vacuum sealer will come in handy when thinking ahead for meal planning. Once vacuum sealed all you need to do is drop the bag in a pot of hot water and heat up. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Back when my son was in college, he was talking about buying a cheap grill for him and his roomies, but I had a big SS gasser ($1000) that I no longer touched, so I told him not to spend any more money, just take the one I no longer used !!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    Back when my son was in college, he was talking about buying a cheap grill for him and his roomies, but I had a big SS gasser ($1000) that I no longer touched, so I told him not to spend any more money, just take the one I no longer used !!

I haven't had a gasser in years and haven't missed it. Sorta wish I still had a weber though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    4 college age kids
    Oh my. FOUR?! At the same time? And you can still afford an egg? :rofl:
    I haven't had a gasser in years and haven't missed it. 
    @Little Steven,  The good ol' days, huh?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Keep it all.  They all have their time and place. Convince her to promise and not say a word till after the first meal, then do a chicken for her. It will change her world and you will have the approval.
    If not, man up and keep it anyway, because you....

Crap, sorry, got to go - my wife is calling....

Clasic post.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Little Steven
    Options
    4 college age kids

Thanks for that memory buddy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    edited October 2016
    Options
    4 college age kids

Thanks for that memory buddy
    Sorry, bud. I figured when you posted about your gasser, you already remembered quite clearly.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I use the gasser when I make last minute hotdogs or when I want to pan sear meat in a CI pan I use the side burner. It's quick and it's outside to I don't really have to clean up any splatter.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Little Steven
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's no biggie. Pretty much over it now but still have a fair bit of work to do. I was actually thinking of the gasser pre fire.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have the egg, big gasser, tailgate gasser and a weber.

I use egg 70% of time.
    I use the big gasser for Smashburgers- I have a big AL Plate that won't fit on egg.  Still easier to use it on this though.  I use the side burner of the Gasser to light the Chimney and cook bacon so it doesn't stink up the house and grease up the kitchen.
    I use the small gasser camping (1 or 2 times a year) and for neighborhood cul-de-sac events.
    I only use the weber when I am out of room on big cooks, frankly I am saving it for parts when I make my UDS.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The following is a response to the OP's first paragraph.

Take it from someone who has truly refined this practice to an art form. I don't often share these pearls of wisdom, so grab a chair and consider yourselves one lucky group of
    SOBs. 

The true secret to ensuring buy-in (or at a minimum, little-to-no resistance) on seemingly-frivolous purchases is to heed to the following:

1) Ensure that any said purchases will depreciate only slightly, if at all. This is actually a good rule for all purchases and not just those for which you may need to obtain permission. As long as you can get the approximate value of the product back, there is no risk. As an example, I searched long and hard before buying my brand new "used" Egg for an incredible deal. I was later able to snowball this into another, bigger purchase of a more expensive Egg when I used sizeable profits from the first (still sold at the going rate) to supplement the cost of the second. I hate spending on electronics but have no trouble spending far larger sums on guitars or amps. This is because with guitars, I always buy at prices for which I know I can ultimately recuperate my costs. Regardless of the item being purchased, this model makes for an easy pitch to any and all stakeholders. 

The next one is the biggie, so it bears reading several times over such that it is sufficiently seared into your medial temporal lobe......

2) Reciprocity. This one is key not only to ensuring you may make extravagant purchases, but also key to a happy marriage (coincidence? I think not.). Long story short, I have a friend who wastes no time in identifying the best gift he has ever received. For his wedding anniversary one year, his wife completely forgot their anniversary. From his perspective, this made for the best anniversary gift he could ever have imagined - not because they had a great night out (they didn't), not because he felt more valued than ever (he didn't) - but because he knew that one day down the road, he himself would forget the anniversary and this very moment would relieve him of any future grief, hardship, pain or persecution that may otherwise have been thrown his way in response to such a scenario. 

The principle relevant to the example outlined above is that of reciprocity and it can equally come into play when couples who have pooled their resources are identifying the goods or services on which they wish to expend these resources. 

If you don't already, take your significant other on a nice date night. Have a few fancy cocktails, eat a nice meal, and most importantly, collectively indulge in a purchase for your significant other that, while not essential, will bring your partner a great deal of  pleasure. They will feel special, loved and appreciative of your support with respect to the purchase. In the words of my friend in relation to his example above, you will "have one in the bank".

Sooner or later, you will identify your white whale - of the moment, that is - (in the OP's case, a BGE). When this moment comes, your significant other, ever-mindful of the joy you have demonstrated in making a purchase that was meaningful to them, will in turn support a purchase of yours, however frivolous, that will bring you joy of a commensurate level. 

While this method can admittedly induce bouts of distress (my wife purchased a $300 bikini last year, contradicting item number 1 above), I think that you will find that it is unparalleled in yielding concrete results, both in terms of securing the item that you covet and the affections of the one that you covet.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Side burners, with the grate off, are an easy way to light lump in a chimney.  That, and storage, was what I used my gasser for.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

Take it from someone who has truly refined this practice to an art form. I don't often share these pearls of wisdom, so grab a chair and consider yourselves one lucky group of
    SOBs. 

The true secret to ensuring buy-in (or at a minimum, little-to-no resistance) on seemingly-frivolous purchases is to heed to the following:

1) Ensure that any said purchases will depreciate only slightly, if at all. This is actually a good rule for all purchases and not just those for which you may need to obtain permission. As long as you can get the approximate value of the product back, there is no risk. As an example, I searched long and hard before buying my brand new "used" Egg for an incredible deal. I was later able to snowball this into another, bigger purchase of a more expensive Egg when I used sizeable profits from the first (still sold at the going rate) to supplement the cost of the second. I hate spending on electronics but have no trouble spending far larger sums on guitars or amps. This is because with guitars, I always buy at prices for which I know I can ultimately recuperate my costs. Regardless of the item being purchased, this model makes for an easy pitch to any and all stakeholders. 

The next one is the biggie, so it bears reading several times over such that it is sufficiently seared into your medial temporal lobe......

2) Reciprocity. This one is key not only to ensuring you may make extravagant purchases, but also key to a happy marriage (coincidence? I think not.). Long story short, I have a friend who wastes no time in identifying the best gift he has ever received. For his wedding anniversary one year, his wife completely forgot their anniversary. From his perspective, this made for the best anniversary gift he could ever have imagined - not because they had a great night out (they didn't), not because he felt more valued than ever (he didn't) - but because he knew that one day down the road, he himself would forget the anniversary and this very moment would relieve him of any future grief, hardship, pain or persecution that may otherwise have been thrown his way in response to such a scenario. 

The principle relevant to the example outlined above is that of reciprocity and it can equally come into play when couples who have pooled their resources are identifying the goods or services on which they wish to expend these resources. 

If you don't already, take your significant other on a nice date night. Have a few fancy cocktails, eat a nice meal, and most importantly, collectively indulge in a purchase for your significant other that, while not essential, will bring your partner a great deal of  pleasure. They will feel special, loved and appreciative of your support with respect to the purchase. In the words of my friend in relation to his example above, you will "have one in the bank".

Sooner or later, you will identify your white whale - of the moment, that is - (in the OP's case, a BGE). When this moment comes, your significant other, ever-mindful of the joy you have demonstrated in making a purchase that was meaningful to them, will in turn support a purchase of yours, however frivolous, that will bring you joy of a commensurate level. 

While this method can admittedly induce bouts of distress (my wife purchased a $300 bikini last year, contradicting item number 1 above), I think that you will find that it is unparalleled in yielding concrete results, both in terms of securing the item that you covet and the affections of the one that you covet.
    This, is an epic post and something all men should pay attention to if you like to buy toys. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

SOBs. 

This, is an epic post and something all men should pay attention to if you like to buy toys. 
    Many truths here, but remember that some things do have an expiration date or nullifying factor.  You can have 10 "Atta boys" from them, but it may only take one "Oh $hit" to wipe out those 10 "Atta boys" So the key is to build them up, then cash in before you hit a wammy that kills your credit.

And what the hell does a $300 bikini look like?

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options

SOBs. 

or

2) Reciprocity.  husband gets bge, wife gets 40,000 dollar kitchen =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

SOBs. 

or

2) Reciprocity.  husband gets bge, wife gets 40,000 dollar kitchen =)

And attached to that new kitchen is 3 bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom, a dining room, a huge porch, a laundry room and a future downstairs rec room.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Good advice but my wife is about the least materialistic person I have met. No way she would spend $300 on a bikini. She doesn't like debt at all. My daughters are just the opposite.

I think the best approach for me is to promise to limit future gun and grill purchases. promise to do the bulk of the cooking and promise to cook mostly healthy foods.

Goal is to pay half the cost in cash, and pay off the finance part over the next two monthly paychecks.

I have most of the accessories I will need so not much to buy there except some cast iron stuff. 
    MiniMax 04/17