Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Espresso machine

Options
Any suggestions on a home espresso machine? I'm leaning towards a semi-automatic model. I'd like to keep the price under $1,000 if possible but could possibly be convinced to spend more- although not sure SWMBO would be pleased with that, but I'll take my chances.

Thanks
Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For the money, the Breville Oracle is a tough act to follow. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• acmoser76
    Options
    SGH said:
    I've been looking at the entire Breville line. The Oracle looks sweet but is a bit more than I want to spend. I have been contemplating the Dual Boiler model though.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • SGH
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    SGH said:
    I've been looking at the entire Breville line. The Oracle looks sweet but is a bit more than I want to spend. I have been contemplating the Dual Boiler model though.
    I'm willing to bet that you can't go wrong with any of the Breville line. However my mother has the Oracle so I can speak first hand of it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I know this does not answer your question and takes this in a different direction......but I ordered me some chocolate covered espresso beans recently. If you are an espresso fan....you will love these for a little afternoon pick me up.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RC3AWOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SGH
    Options
    I feel like a caveman amongst you fellows. All kidding aside, I still use one of these 11 dollar rigs for coffee. 

Just stuck in time fellows.  

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I've been rockin' the Expobar Brewtus IV machine with the Baratza Vario grinder for quite a few years now and I'd be really hard pressed to find a better value than this combination. My son and I dialed it in one weekend and this tune has supplanted my need to even consider any commercial coffee ever again. I'm recouping the cost of this outlay every day that I don't need to purchase an inferior product. YMMV, but I'm happy with this outlay.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Being a hardcore coffee snob who roasts his own beans and has been through an espresso phase, spend as much or more on a grinder than a machine. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I started out with a $100 Krups and a stovetop Pulcinella (milk foamer) about 35 years ago. And upgraded through so many I can't remember them all. (Had an Expobar Office Control at one point.) I hit the sweet spot with a Pasquini Livia 90 automatic (not made anymore) and I have to say, I would have saved a LOT of money by getting a fine machine early on. And that means at least $1000. It is SO worth it. Of course, 35 years ago I wouldn't have had $1000 for a coffee machine...but I could have used a credit card.

Absolutely right about the grinder. That's a whole other story! They aren't $1000, but if they can't grind fine enough, and inexpensive ones don't, they aren't worth a nickel. Do a lot of online research to find the right grinder for you.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I bought this combination over 15 years ago & haven't looked back, it's a workhorse:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rancilio-silvia-espresso-machine-and-rocky-grinder-package

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have that combination as well ^^^. What is your procedures?  I get variable results
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I bought a DeLonghi Rialto a few years back. I like it...  I think it's since been replaced with this model 
    http://www.delonghi.com/en-us/products/coffee-and-espresso/coffee-makers/automatic-coffee-makers/magnifica-ecam-22110sb-0132213092
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We have been using a Delonghi Magnifico automatic with two tanks, one for hot water and one for steam so it works fast when making multiple coffees.  It has been trouble free for 5 years, clean the brewing mechanism every Sunday and run the decalcify cycle every 6 to 8 weeks, the machine tells you when it is needed.  We bought it as a refurbished machine that had a scratch on the right panel, I think it listed for 1200 we bought it for $800 something.  I would buy another machine.

Gerhard
  • PiratePig
    Options
    While maybe frowned upon by the "purists", I am a big Nespresso fan.  You can generally find pretty good deals on the equipment, but the pods are a little pricey...however the convenience is tough to beat.  
    Never hurried, never worried, never rushed.  LBGE, Weber Genesis
    Naperville, IL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    We've had the Breville Barista for 3 years and if anything were to happen to it would replace it with the same machine without question.  We use this exclusively as we don't have any other coffee making equipment.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    PiratePig said:
    While maybe frowned upon by the "purists", I am a big Nespresso fan.  You can generally find pretty good deals on the equipment, but the pods are a little pricey...however the convenience is tough to beat.  
    The price of convenience is about $50 per pound of coffee, I buy the 900 gram bags at costco for about $14 so that is $7 a pound.  Even if I bought the most premium coffee available to me it would less than the pod machines.  Our machine is probably more convenient than the pod machines, you press a button the coffee is brewed every 10 to 12 cups you have to pull the container for the spent grounds, fill the water reservoir every 8 or 9 cups, 15 minutes on Sunday morning to clean the machine.

Gerhard
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the pod machines. They are like the gas BBQs of the coffee world; convenient and make a decent end result, but nothing like the real thing. If you are at all into espresso, a pod machine is not the way for you.

If you are into espresso, then you have to be into making it as well. that starts with sourcing high quality beans that were roasted less than two weeks prior to being consumed. Then you need a good burr grinder (like a Baratza Vario or the soon to be released Sette).

When it comes to machines, you have a few choices:
    1) the single boiler dual-use machine (like the Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia). These machines have one boiler that brews espresso at one temperature, and then you hit a switch to heat the boiler up to steaming temperature and then wait 20-40 seconds to steam your milk. These machines used to be more popular, before there was as much choice in the market as there is now. I would not recommend one of these machines, as most people find them too fussy and a pain to use. They can make good espresso, but they are not as reliable in terms of the coffee that you produce as other machines that are not much more expensive; as a result, most users only own one of these for a year or two before stepping up to a better machine.

2) single boiler heat exchanger (HX) machines. These are an excellent choice, but they require you to learn how to do the 'water dance'. The principle is that the boiler holds water at a temperature that is suitable for steaming milk, but too high for brewing espresso. The heat exchanger is a narrow tube that passes through the boiler, and when you brew espresso, water passes from the reservoir through the heat exchanger, where it is warmed to the correct temperature, and then through the brew head to the coffee grounds. The water that sits in the HX is too hot, so you have to purge that water before brewing. You can see when the over-heated water has been purged by watching the water as it transitions from hissing and sputtering as it exits the group head to just a calm steady flow. At this point you lock in the porta filter and brew. HX machines are simple, reasonably priced, and are reliable. Examples include the Pasquini Livia and the Nuova Simonelli Oscar stated above (which btw are the same machine). My favourite HX machine at the low end of the price spectrum is the Bezzera BZ07 (http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Bezzera-BZ07-Commercial-Espresso-Machine-PM-semi-automatic-tank-reservoir-V2-89p3438.htm). It has a group head heater so that the water dance is made even simpler.

3) Dual boiler machines. These machines separate the brewing from the steaming completely by using a separate boiler for each process. The brew boiler is always at brew temperature, so there is little to no water dance required. They are simple to use, and can make excellent espresso. They are also more complex, with more electronics, and can break down sooner. They are also a lot heavier, so when it does break down, you better be able to fix it yourself or be strong to be able to move it. Also, because hot water sits in a metal boiler, some people claim to be able to taste stale water, others are concerned about the water leaching metals (copper, or nickel) from the boilers. An example of a dual boiler machine is the Expobar Brewtus mentioned above.

4) Spring lever manual machines. These are so much fun and make excellent espresso, but they are not a great choice for a first machine.

I either own or have owned all these machine types. My current main machine is an HX. The reality of owning an espresso machine, no matter how expensive or how reliable, is that they all require regular servicing. You can't use distilled or RO water in these, as that water will leach metal from the boilers, and the espresso will be bad (distilled and RO do not extract coffee from the grounds well and the final taste is sour). The water that makes good espresso will eventually lead to some scaling in the machine, and that needs to be cleaned; also, pressure stats break down, pumps eventually fail, teflon tubing becomes brittle and cracks, electrical wiring and electrical parts fail from the hot environment, etc. Be sure to buy a machine that is not more complex and difficult to reach inside than you are comfortable working on, or buy a machine from a dealer that is local and has a good repair department.

Finally, if you really enjoy espresso and the process of making it at home, I suggest that you not bother with machines below $1,000 (there are too many trade-offs). Budget for a grinder in the $400-$700 range, and a machine in the $1,000-$2,000 range. Spend time on Coffeegeek and HomeBarista learning about machines and about how to make good espresso. This will help you to decide whether you are currently a dual boiler or HX person. And find places to buy high quality, fresh roasted coffee. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    PiratePig said:
    The price of convenience is about $50 per pound of coffee, I buy the 900 gram bags at costco for about $14 so that is $7 a pound.  Even if I bought the most premium coffee available to me it would less than the pod machines.  Our machine is probably more convenient than the pod machines, you press a button the coffee is brewed every 10 to 12 cups you have to pull the container for the spent grounds, fill the water reservoir every 8 or 9 cups, 15 minutes on Sunday morning to clean the machine.

Gerhard
    If your going to take that route on the expense of the coffee pods over regular coffee, make sure you quantify the cost of the machine, grinder and all other necessities against the cost of the Nespresso.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Some what OT- 

I don't drink a lot of coffee like some do. Realistically I have got into the habit of only drinking coffee in the winter on my ride into work. We rarely drink coffee at home just lounging around. It does happen but only maybe 1 or twice a month.

I have the Nespresso Latissima as well for convenience of having a variety of coffees available to me. My wife like it for eh cappuccinos and lattes she can make with it.

I do my daily brew with a Keurig. I love love love the extra bold coffees. That dark deep flavor. MMMMMM.

Bottom line, for us we don't brew pots of coffee. We don't brew a lot of coffee. when I want a cup I don't want to use stale grinds. Yes they sit in the pods but at least they are sealed up and not exposed to the can being opened all the time.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    [wrote a lot of stuff that I am referencing because I want to +1 the great info]

Finally, if you really enjoy espresso and the process of making it at home, I suggest that you not bother with machines below $1,000 (there are too many trade-offs). Budget for a grinder in the $400-$700 range, and a machine in the $1,000-$2,000 range. Spend time on Coffeegeek and HomeBarista learning about machines and about how to make good espresso. This will help you to decide whether you are currently a dual boiler or HX person. And find places to buy high quality, fresh roasted coffee. 
    I was fortunate enough to have my father-in-law give us a Pasquini Livia 90 about 12 years ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pasquini-Semiautomatic-Commercial-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B0001MQY48

I (not surprisingly to those that know me) am a coffee snob, and worked in an espresso bar back in the EIGHTIES (take THAT, hipsters).  As a result, I never bought a home machine, because I was never willing to spend enough to get one that made good espresso.  I am a big fan of the Pasquini, and it fits in SkySaw's recommended technology/price range.

Also, +1 on the need for a good grinder.  I have a Salvatore burr grinder, and am also very happy with it.

It is also portable if you have a tailgate

Now that I have a tailgate, I will roll it out to the next EggFest Team NFA hits.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    gerhardk said:
    PiratePig said:

Gerhard
    If your going to take that route on the expense of the coffee pods over regular coffee, make sure you quantify the cost of the machine, grinder and all other necessities against the cost of the Nespresso.
    Also, if your wife walks into Williams Sonoma and gets to try one, don't argue with her about the expense after you have spent many hundreds of dollars in that store on pots and pans.
  • brianbala
    Options

I've had a Meile CM6 series countertop machine for a year now and it's the best investment I've made, aside from my big green eggs. My wife only uses the coffee function, but I really enjoy the lattes it makes.  It also has a number of other drink options and is super easy to clean.

Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • znagle28
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    I bought this combination over 15 years ago & haven't looked back, it's a workhorse:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rancilio-silvia-espresso-machine-and-rocky-grinder-package

I moved into my uncles house a month ago and he left this exact setup for me. I use it at least twice a day and it kicks ass!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have had a Gaggia Classic for almost a decade. I don't find it temperamental at all. I also have a Baratza grinder. I'm not sure I could justify paying $1,200 for a coffee machine that I use only in cold weather. (I use a Chemex and the Japanese method for cold coffee in warm months.)
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have the Breville BES870 (or whatever version of it they sold a couple years ago) and have never looked back.  It's a great unit that makes a very consistent product you can dial-in to your liking.  I know 3 friends who had the exact same unit and after trying it several times on group vacations. I was sold.  I see the retail at $599 on their website, but Amazon and other sites likely have it on sale.

Now, they have this brand new one called "The Oracle" that does everything including make your bacon and slice the bread, but it's $2K.  I'm not sure if the automation is worth the price up-charge since I'm so happy with the one I have, but maybe it's worth watching.

I have been very happy with the Breville brand and have heard good things about their warranty service.  I also liked this table I just came across which compares all the models.

The only thing off in that table is the time. I have been making a latte every morning for the past 18 months and the entire process takes me about 4 minutes, maybe 5.  That's grind, tamp, steam the milk, rinse all the parts, and clean the steamer wand.  From hitting the grind button to taking the first sip... 5 minutes.  But worth it!  Only complaint is it gets a little loud. Not the steaming, but any time it's shooting water toward the group head mechanism. Wish that was quieter.

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    SGH said:
    I feel like a caveman amongst you fellows. All kidding aside, I still use one of these 11 dollar rigs for coffee...
    I have gone out of my way to find beans I like, buy them fresh roasted, grind them as needed, and store the unopened bags in the freezer.  I will try different brands, but have a favorite I go back to and overpay for.  I enjoy my coffee and make a great cup in the espresso machine or the drip maker, however...

...when I go camping I boil river water in the greasy pan I used to cook dinner the night before, I pour it over some instant coffee with a splash of cream (I'm not a savage, that powder stuff is ****) and I am always amazed how good the instant coffee tastes!  Sure, some of it is the outdoor environment, but every time I drink it I question if I'm making too much of a fuss at home.

Here is my favorite coffee pot;

LBGE/Maryland
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @KiterTodd. Bacon flavored coffee, you're on to something!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    Vacuum sealers come in handy for this addiction as well ;)
    Buy good fresh roasted whole beans.
    Vacuum seal into portions that you will use within a week or less.
    Freeze vacuum sealed beans.
    When needed pour frozen beans into your burr grinder hopper and make espresso until gone.
    Repeat as necessary.
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Old school.  Pavoni and Bialetti manual machinas!  

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini