Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pics of small cooking

Options
jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about adding a small to the family.
Does anyone have pics of a small cooking. Would like to have some idea of it's cooking capacity. Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    jake42,[p]16.82 lbs of pork butts--will feed about 30 people.[p]Dave[p]20mvc-009e.jpg[p]20mvc-010e.jpg

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Wow, that's impressive. Do you recall how long those took too cook? How high did you pile the lump? [p]gdenby

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BreadonSmall.jpg
    <p />jake42,
    Here's one for ya' :

• Unknown
    Options
    jake42,[p]Jake,[p]We have used a small for over 20 years. Family of 4. It is large enough for most all family needs. Whole chicken, pork butt, awesome steaks.[p]BF

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ChiliPot.jpg
    <p />jake42,[p]The small is a great addition!![p]Smokey
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    7fb6f90f.jpg
    <p />jake42,
    i can get a 1 gallon bean pot in the small, its a close fit but works fine, remove the therm before lowering the dome

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    fishlessman,
    ok ok ok..............
    I'll fess up, I never cooked beans in a bean pot, what is the advantages and does it make a difference, you been having me thinking and now
    ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
    thanks

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    thinking of a small, too. if you were doing a pair of steaks, would you fire up the large or the small?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    egret,
    Man, that looks great. Nice work.
    Clay

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]What size is that Bean Pot? I'm looking to buy one but can't decide on the size.
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    jake42,[p]Looking for some pics to show you, but I would recommend go ahead and getting one.. I picked up one last year at the Eggtoberfest and use it all the time. Great for tailgating and camping. I stick to the large when cooking for a crowd, but always like to have both going at the same time.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Nice bark on them piggys. I'm getting hungry just looking at 'em.
    Clay

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    jake42,
    Lets see a good "Wok" photo and one with "Grate Mates" and raised grid.
    Thanks,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    0b490e70.jpg
    <p />Chef Wil,
    they offer good uniform heat. cooking beans from scratch, they can be cooked overnight up to 12 or more hours no peeking, no stirring. placed in a cooler they will stay warm longer than a pork butt, can be served directly out of the bean pot for presentation and then place in the fridge for the next days reheat. similar to a crock pot,however the temp control is better, crocks even on low settings still burn beans on real long cooks. i like beans best the second day, so i make them in the oven, and then reheat slowly in the egg with the cover off towards the end. a pork butt and a smaller bean pot can be cooked at the same time in the egg. i like all styles of beans, but every family function has boston baked. with several pots you can make different types at the same time. new england tradition, some of my pots are 60 plus years old.
    they dont add off flavors like some pots do and any type of soup or stew can be cooked in one

[ul][li]the pot shop[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    it takes a little longer to get up to heat, but the small burns less lump, small cooks, small egg

fukahwee maine

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]And sometimes it requires artificial assistance to get up to temp. I had one and it required a fan to hit t-rex temps. [p]Still a good unit though. I wanna get a medium now (though my wife may choke if I do that).
  • fishlessman
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    i am almost positive its a gallon. i like the smaller ones better because you can have seveal types cooking, i think they are 2.5 quart, but i would have to measure those

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    i hit it several times with the weed burner as it gets hotter, the lower draft needs to be bigger in the small, or maybe the lower grid doesnt allow enough air flow to get the temp up fast enough. it definatly doesnt get as hot as the large can although the large can get too hot if you let it

fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    yeah...
    rumor has it that it "doesn't get as hot", but i'm thinking it's mostly irrelevant because the lump is what's primarily cooking the steak, not the dome temp. [p]oh hey. i found a local (new) BGE seller that didn't totally p!ss me off, so i might buy one from them. they had the eggs set up with the band/hinges upside down, the dome crooked, and the band bolts only hand-tight. two teenage girls running the store. i didn't know how helpful i was gonna be if i told them it was rigged kinda dangerous-like. mentioned it, but didn't push the issue.[p]they'll learn the first time some customer slams the lid down and the dome pops out and smashes, i guess.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    stike,
    when I want to T-Rex perfectly. I use both! I sear on the small at 700 using the cast iron grate I cut myself, then let them rest and then finish off on my large at 400. Works like a charm for me! Waste of charcoal? maybe, but what the heck, what are toys if you don't use them?!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    stike,
    Ummm...this is our best hope for a dealer who "gets it" in eastern MA?
    Paul

• stike
    Options
    RRP,
    hahahaha
    is the cast iron grate the one you made for searing the steaks on (as a grill), or is it a lump grate, at the bottom, for more air flow?[p]can you hit 700 no problems? or is there a 'process'

• stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    well, mike says the guys in hampton 'get it', but i don't trundle up there too often.[p]i really am trying to figure a way where i might help 'bring them along' without being that-customer-dinkus-who's-always-in-here-telling-us-what-to-do[p]i was encouraged when the young woman said the owner did a pork loin on it and it was great. but my heart skipped a beat (not in a good way) when she said "next we're going to do ribs from the recipe book that comes with it". i think those were the 45 minute ribs or something.
    hahaha[p]i just think that these things would sell themselves if the seller was an ethusiastic USER, rather than of the "we're going to see how well these egg things sell" persuasion[p]

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    stike,
    Here's the plan. We need Mike's truck. Slip into their parking lot in the dead of night and fire up a couple of butts. When do they open on Saturday, 10? By then, stuff smells good and folks start poking around hoping for samples. Ha! They gotta wait until 2 or so! You can keep em entertained with talk about collagen and plateaus and stuff. I will wear garments that hold smoke and walk through the showroom every half hour or so. The store owners won't know whether to call the fire department or the police.
    Paul

• stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    hahahaha "garments that hold smoke"[p]four words which, until now, have never been used in combination together
    sounds like a plan.

• RRP
    Options
    stike,
    The grate is the one I cut:
    IMG_00851.jpg

out of this rectangular piece:
    IMG_00591.jpg

I have never reverted to the stock grate.[p]As for hitting the 700 it just needs more time to become a blast furnace - the only trick is that once it is up to the 500+ range I'll open the dome so it has plenty of air and it takes off at that point like a jet engine!

• Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP,
    Very nice cut job...
    What did you use to cut grate?
    Regards,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Unknown
    Options
    gdenby,[p]I fill the charcoal to the top of the firebox and then usually add again at about the 7-9 hour mark into the cooks for my heavy loads. I cook by grid temp and these butts took about 14 hours. [p]Dave

• RRP
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    It took me two metal cutting blades in my sabre saw. I then hit the sharp edges with a bench grinder and finished off with a hand file. From start to finish it took me less than one hour. While I'm not a metalurogist I know enough about metal to know that when it heats it expands and by having no restictive outer ring the stress is eliminated unlike the BGE cast iron. BTW even at this small size this is still a two-hand man-hole cover!

• Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP,
    Thank you very much for the info.
    Looks like your hard work turned out great.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas