Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Have a OYSTER MIGNONETTE recipe that you like?

I'm buying a couple sacks of rocks this weekend to roast, but we also serve several dozen "shuck as you like" raw.

Do you have any favorite mignonette recipes that work well with a nice salty oyster?  I'm not looking for one that will have me finely chopping a dozen different herbs for an hour, but maybe something I can make a day ahead simple, or toss in the food processor.

I usually just have mine straight up with a squeeze of lemon, but like to offer some variety for the masses.

In any case, bring 'em on! 
Thanks! 
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Not a mignonette, but I mix up some horseradish, ketchup, worcestershire and hot sauce.  Squeeze a lemon over the oysters and dip in sauce.

Wow tbh I've never heard of a mignonette lol.  Being from MD I've enjoyed raw oysters for years with either a dash of lemon or hot sauce.  I looked up mignonette though and it looks intriguing! Watching this thread...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Not a mignonette, but I mix up some horseradish, ketchup, worcestershire and hot sauce.  Squeeze a lemon over the oysters and dip in sauce.

Thanks.  I do a cocktail sauce almost like that, but I'll try adding worcestasdfhgd this year.

I've had several mignonettes out that are fantastic with a big bright flavor that really goes well with the oysters.  I've also had some very boring ones that as far as I can tell are just vinegar and shallots.  So, I was hoping someone had a favorite.  If not, I'll just make something up...  ...you put enough booze in people, they'll eat anything.  :lol:

LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oysters only need a good dollop of horseradish for me. Maybe a squeeze of lemon. I've actually used the mignonette to cleanse my palate(sip it) when having samplers of different oyster varieties.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is great.

Oysters, Grilled, Drago, Charbroiled

Charbroiled a few oysters tonight

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Dozen Oysters, 1/2 Shell
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

PROCEDURE:

1. Stabilized the egg at 250 dome and put the oysters on as fast I could then poured the butter mixture over them and closed the dome (flamed up pretty good just like you want it to). After a few minutes moved the oysters around to get the flames lickin the shells. When the were done loaded them up with grated parsesan, romano cheese and chopped parsley - closed the dome for about a minute to let the cheese melt. Paired with a bottle of La Famiglia Pinot Grigio - mighty fine.

2. Saving the shells so the next time I can buy them already shucked.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Seafood

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Frank in Houma, 2008/01/08

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Damn you and your sacks of oysters! If I remember right you did a bunch of oysters awhile back? I love oysters but what we get in the Midwest just ain't the same. 

I did something like this http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-mignonette

it was OK - probably would be better if I had better vinegar
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    edited October 2016
    blind99 said:
    Damn you and your sacks of oysters! If I remember right you did a bunch of oysters awhile back? I love oysters but what we get in the Midwest just ain't the same...
    :lol: ...yes, I do a big oyster roast once a year when I get to buy a few bushels and have fun with them.   Then I buy a sack at least one other time when I can talk enough friends into coming over to share them with me.  I have to admit, it's fun to have so many that you are not helicopter-parenting over each one like it's a piece of gold.  They're rocks!  Just throw them all on the grill or table and see what you get.  :plus_one:

Thanks for the recipe.  That's similar to what I've had in some restaurants. I've also had some that are just plain loaded with different vinegars and lots of herbs. And those ones...wow. It's like a bright chimmichurri for oysters (but thinner)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

sounds like a blast, excellent idea to get a mess of them and see what happens.

i'm going to DC soon and i've heard there's lots of bars with happy hour oyster deals.  i can't wait to check it out.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I usually just like them raw alone, will sprinkle a few drops of lemon or hot sauce on one or two for a change, but most of the time I just like them as they are.  And I'd never heard of mignonette, but everything I've ever made from the late, lamented Gourmet magazine was really good, and here's a recipe for Oysters with Champagne Vinegar Mignonette from Gourmet, and there are 7 reviews of people who made it and they're all raves.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    google some thai recipes, lime, soy, fish sauce, sugar,sauce as a base, add in some flavors like thai chili, ginger.  its what i like with fresh tuna, would work well with oysters
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Whoa, I kept poking around on Epicurious and found this, that sounds radical and fun: "Oyster Ices," flavored ices (sort of like a savory sno-cone) to serve with oysters, flavored with Tabasco, horseradish, or pickled red onion.  It might be worth a try.  Only one review, but it was very positive.
  • KiterTodd
    Theophan said:
    Whoa, I kept poking around on Epicurious and found this, that sounds radical and fun: "Oyster Ices," flavored ices (sort of like a savory sno-cone) to serve with oysters, flavored with Tabasco, horseradish, or pickled red onion.  It might be worth a try.  Only one review, but it was very positive.
    Wow!  I have never heard of those either but they do look pretty awesome.

Maybe I'll make one of the simpler ones just to see how long it keeps and how it tastes.

I also really like @fishlessman 's thai fish sauce concoction.   That's be great...sort of a vietnamese sauce.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    This is great.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

PROCEDURE:

1. Stabilized the egg at 250 dome and put the oysters on as fast I could then poured the butter mixture over them and closed the dome (flamed up pretty good just like you want it to). After a few minutes moved the oysters around to get the flames lickin the shells. When the were done loaded them up with grated parsesan, romano cheese and chopped parsley - closed the dome for about a minute to let the cheese melt. Paired with a bottle of La Famiglia Pinot Grigio - mighty fine.

Source

Great recipe. I love to make them as you described.
    I have been looking for reusable shells, either made from metal or ceramic.
    If I could locate reusable shells I would probably try using the pre-shucked oysters to see how they work. They would be a lot more convenient. 

I have found the metal cooking tray's
    https://theoysterbed.com/shop

They are pretty expensive.
  • KiterTodd
    A buddy came through with a verbal description of what he's made for me in the past.  It was a lot of cutting and chopping, but I made it last night and it looks good.

It's a 1 QT mason jar that ends up filled with a combo of champagne vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, the zest from both, S&P, scallions, shallots, garlic, a jalapeno for good measure and some spring water to thin it according to taste.  I'll post results and a pic on top of an oyster when I have the little buggers!

Great feedback and tips, thanks.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    It was an hour of cutting and chopping and zesting, but it was delicious...

I made it a couple days ahead, as that's when I had the time.  You'll note the colors are bright green here, but everything kind of got pickled by the time I served it.  Flavor was still excellent, though...

And, well, because it's just fun to get to buy seafood in large quantity, here's a couple pictures of purchase and rinse. I got two bushels of Chesapeake Bay oysters which were medium salty right now and the largest I have seen in years.  Apparently the oyster population is booming right now and these guys looked great. 

Prices were high, though, which doesn't correspond with the abundance of oysters reported.  The guys claim that it's because half the guys are still crabbing and prices will drop as soon as they convert over to oystering.  That might be true, but is a little B.S. because I buy them the same time every year.  Interesting to hear, though.

I also bought a box of 100 salty oysters from the Virginia Eastern Shore (from THIS place).  They are always good, but actually were not as salty as usual.  I think all the rain from Matthew a few days before harvesting diluted the salt a bit.  Still sweet and tasty, though.

Just to get a rough idea of the size of these guys, shown here in a standard size chest cooler;

Three coolers full to the top with oysters, and the table all set for the evening's roast.  I can't apologize for those two grills there, neither of which are BGEs, but I just can't haul it off a high deck for this party.  What I do, however, is set up the charcoal grill with lump and keep the gasser as backup.  What happens, is after a couple batches of oysters the lump gets wet and it it needs time to get hot enough to cook another batch.

I did cook a couple piles of meat on the egg which was served as well.  Good times, beautiful weather, harvest moon, and a roaring campfire to go with it.  Doesn't get much better.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Richard Fl
    GregW said:
    This is great.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

PROCEDURE:

Source

If I could locate reusable shells I would probably try using the pre-shucked oysters to see how they work. They would be a lot more convenient. 

Look around for a 7 section ableskivewr pan- danish desert or check out a thai/vietnamese grocery if near you
    http://www.customcatering.net/Rec_hdo/Grilled_Oysters.html

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl said:

This will work also.  I usually buy oysters in 30# boxes here in melbooring and save the shells for future events.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1203190&catid=1
    GregW said:
    This is great.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

PROCEDURE:

Source

Look around for a 7 section ableskivewr pan- danish desert or check out a thai/vietnamese grocery if near you
    http://www.customcatering.net/Rec_hdo/Grilled_Oysters.html