Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat curing chamber

Options

Anyone ever made a curing chamber out of an old fridge?

I am thinking about taking the next step into charcuterie and doing my own air cured products.

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I am thinking about taking the next step into charcuterie and doing my own air cured products.

i might suggest doing a bunch of curing before you invest in the time and expense of a dry curing chamber. for short term cured stuff, you don't really *need* a curing chamber.  it's a plus, sure.

chambers even things out, but they are relatively new.  you can roll with the seasonal changes.  winter tends to be dryer than summer, so large stuff can dry too quickly on the outside versus the interior.  summer though tends to encourage more mold (green/fuzzy).

neither are deal breakers, and if you are only doing small stuff like pancetta, duck prosciutto, sausage, bresaola, it will not be a big deal

but hams or prosciutto, something you'd hang for a year or two, you might benefit from making one. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    hondabbq said:

i might suggest doing a bunch of curing before you invest in the time and expense of a dry curing chamber. for short term cured stuff, you don't really *need* a curing chamber.  it's a plus, sure.

chambers even things out, but they are relatively new.  you can roll with the seasonal changes.  winter tends to be dryer than summer, so large stuff can dry too quickly on the outside versus the interior.  summer though tends to encourage more mold (green/fuzzy).

neither are deal breakers, and if you are only doing small stuff like pancetta, duck prosciutto, sausage, bresaola, it will not be a big deal

but hams or prosciutto, something you'd hang for a year or two, you might benefit from making one. 

what could go wrong with proscuitto =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I have done a fair amount of curing already. I just wanted to up my game to salamis etc  to items like you mentioned.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes.  Out of a feeezer.  I don't have the humidifier in yet....using it to ferment at the moment.
    Options
    Is the frig free?
    Yes....   Then make it happen!           
    No....    Find one for free or wait for @nolaegghead to pass out at brisket camp and take his :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options
    hondabbq said:

what could go wrong with proscuitto =)
    If you improvise and substitute fine salt where the aitch bone is, you may end up with maggots. ;) is 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead to pass out at brisket camp and take his :smiley:
    If he passes out this year, I'm giving him a haircut =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    I hear he already got a haircut.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

I have done a fair amount of curing already. I just wanted to up my game to salamis etc  to items like you mentioned.
    None of it *needs* a curing chamber. Especially the smaller stuff. 

I have done all that stuff without having to first fab up a chamber for it

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    He is getting another one =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    You're welcome to try ya redneck ;)
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

I don't have the luxury of having the humidity and temp naturally
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I bought an upright freezer at a yard sale with the intent of converting it to a curing chamber. However, a few weeks later, we needed more freezer space, and it became a... wait for it...a freezer. So I have zero advice, but I do have a temp controller. And I did google a bit for humidity controllers...

Let us know what you come up with, I still want a curing chamber.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    You're welcome to try ya redneck ;)
    I just put the shears in the truck so I don't forget them :D

Status- Standing by.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

I don't have the luxury of having the humidity and temp naturally
    Neither did anyone else for the last thousand years

if you are comfortable, so is the meat

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Do you have a basement? Would think you would have pretty good conditions most of the year with a little humidity? Might freeze for six months but that's OK isn't it? =)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Do you have a basement? Would think you would have pretty good conditions most of the year with a little humidity? Might freeze for six months but that's OK isn't it? =)

I have a finished basement. Dont you remember the Urinal?

I do have a mechanical/meat room where I process sausages etc. My house has an HRV and Humidistat so it sits in the 40-50% range, too low for curing. Plus the house sits at 70F and 55-60 is needed.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    again, none of those temps and narrow humidity ranges are 'required'.  ideal? yep.  especially if you are aging the things for a year like ham or prosciutto

but if you don't plan on selling or making large quantities where the results need to be exactly the same all the time (i.e. commercially), then you don't "need" any of these controls.

if you have experience doing other cures (none of which actually need to be done in the fridge, believe it or not), then you have enough experience to just bang out whatever is interesting you at the moment.

do a trial run, and don't spend the time and money on a curing chamber (yet).

you may see these chambers on blogs and foodie sites, and they ARE great to have if you are hard core and do this all the time, or have the stuff on hand to do it.

but it is not at all 'required' or 'needed'.

duck boob, hanging in a basement. 

pancetta

i even managed to get one of the most nervous BGEers ever to do this in his house.  after a day of panic, and his throwing it in the fridge, he stiffened his spine and rehung it and let it ride a week.

sure, his wife dropped dead from it, but most everyone else survived.

prosciutto and bresaola

hung the prosciutto for about 18 months

have no frigging clue what the humidity was, and temps went hi-lo depending on the season (fieldstone basement).

country ham hung for just under a year (for easter)

here it is soaking out a day

all of this is doable at ambient temps.

cooler places like basements, dark, somewhat humid, may be ideal, but they are not requirements. 

i completely understand the desire to want a curing chamber (i'd like one too some day).  i'm just reiterating, if you think it is needed, it is not.

• Little Steven
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

I have a finished basement. Dont you remember the Urinal?

I do have a mechanical/meat room where I process sausages etc. My house has an HRV and Humidistat so it sits in the 40-50% range, too low for curing. Plus the house sits at 70F and 55-60 is needed.

Reluctantly have to agree with JCF. Have you ever seen the way the cure prosciutto in southern Italy? Yes, I do remember the urinal now that you mention it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options

Reluctantly have to agree with JCF. Have you ever seen the way the cure prosciutto in southern Italy? Yes, I do remember the urinal now that you mention it.
    exactly.

of course the commercial parma stuff is in a controlled environment, but for most of its history, you'd hang them in a barn with one side that could be opened and closed according to the weather.

funny thing about the variation is that is can be a tool, or something which informs the final product.

if you age at warmer temps, it happens faster, which is great (more aged flavor).  but it doesn't have the extended time to also get denser anddevelop the intense flavor from being concentrated.  and the texture may not be as silky (from being denser).

so sure, a balance is ideal.

duck prosciutto firms up in just a few days in the winter here, where it is drier.  if it is humid in the summer, it can take a while, and some of the fat may weep.  but you get slightly more intense aged flavor in the summer too.

same stuff comes into play aging beef at home too. if you go too long it can be too dry.  if you can add humidity, you can age longer because it won't dry too much.  but then you get less condensing of the flavor on the flip side.

gotta know WHY you want to do something, what the intended result is, otherwise it's just driving blind
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm far from an expert, but saw some fugly pics of cured sausage with the casing and outside drying too fast, preventing the interior to dry, causing an inner core rot.

Keeping your humidity controlled, and above 60, is crucial in less humid environments.  If I were that big into salumis, I'd want one for safety, consistency, and the control freak factor I'm fond of to adjust findings.  Got enough shtuff, don't need one taking up space, but I do think it opens up some doors in the pink salt room.  I've tossed a few chunks of expensive(to me) meat, it sucks.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Options

exactly.

of course the commercial parma stuff is in a controlled environment, but for most of its history, you'd hang them in a barn with one side that could be opened and closed according to the weather.

funny thing about the variation is that is can be a tool, or something which informs the final product.

if you age at warmer temps, it happens faster, which is great (more aged flavor).  but it doesn't have the extended time to also get denser anddevelop the intense flavor from being concentrated.  and the texture may not be as silky (from being denser).

duck prosciutto firms up in just a few days in the winter here, where it is drier.  if it is humid in the summer, it can take a while, and some of the fat may weep.  but you get slightly more intense aged flavor in the summer too.

same stuff comes into play aging beef at home too. if you go too long it can be too dry.  if you can add humidity, you can age longer because it won't dry too much.  but then you get less condensing of the flavor on the flip side.

gotta know WHY you want to do something, what the intended result is, otherwise it's just driving blind

I did like the guanciale . It was especially good in the toaster shakin's carbonara that the zipper man made.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    yep.  drying too fast is a problem.

too humid is a problem.

too hot is a problem.

too cold is a problem.

curing chambers nail everything to the exact perfect level, not denying.

but there is a r-a-n-g-e of acceptable levels of all the above.

and if a person wants to try some stuff and get a feel for it, it can be done tomorrow, with no special equipment.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Great thread.
    I so badly want to do this. "This" being dried salumi and sausages, make different prosciuttos and  maybe a ham; but when I read, I get paranoid. White mold good, colors bad, ph, how humid for this temp..... It is overwhelming to me. I think that is the problem with reading it all, they make it sound like it has to be exact, but I know it doesn't have to be.

But then I do not know what does "have to be" to something to be okay.

I wish there was a mentor around me that I could learn from. Be there with them to see, feel and smell if something is right, or wrong, so you know.

I know you learn from experience, but I want someone that has experience to teach me, so I can learn.  Words on paper (or the screen) only take me so far.  And I do not feel that I have got far enough to actually do it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Great thread.
    I so badly want to do this. "This" being dried salumi and sausages, make different prosciuttos and  maybe a ham; but when I read, I get paranoid. White mold good, colors bad, ph, how humid for this temp..... It is overwhelming to me. I think that is the problem with reading it all, they make it sound like it has to be exact, but I know it doesn't have to be.

But then I do not know what does "have to be" to something to be okay.

I wish there was a mentor around me that I could learn from. Be there with them to see, feel and smell if something is right, or wrong, so you know.

I know you learn from experience, but I want someone that has experience to teach me, so I can learn.  Words on paper (or the screen) only take me so far.  And I do not feel that I have got far enough to actually do it.
    I felt the same way when I started with the simpler #1 cute items. These items are more finicky and even the charcuterie struggle sometimes. I know JCF is correct but I still would like some constants in the beginning to get it right and then be able to adjust with other variables. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I hear you @hondabbq like anything you start doing, you want to remove as many variables as possible to allow you to reach success. I say you go for it.  Post your progress, I would love to follow along.  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

exactly.

I did like the guanciale . It was especially good in the toaster shakin's carbonara that the zipper man made.
    I forgot about the guanciale. I loved that stuff.  
    Have two cheeks in the fridge. Hate to admit how i screwed them up. Haven't found a use for them. 

Raised on a small farm in Pennsylvania too. 

Really botched them. Oooops