Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday pizza - First time

Hey!

Yesterday I had my first Saturday pizza and learned a lot... As you definitely need a pizza spoon (don't know the name) to put inside the prepared and uncooked pizzas inside the BGE, an extra minute inside the BGE is a game changer.

The BGE baking stone has some embedded letters on it, does it matter which side it goes? I mean upside or downside.

How do you guys put use it, put it inside the BGE?

Well here are some pictures of the homemade salsa and pizza dough.

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    The wide flat paddle for installing and removing your pies is called a pizza peel. You can find them made of wood or metal. Either way, dust the peel with cornmeal or semolina flour before putting the pie on it to help it slide off. 

Doesnt matter which way the stone is placed. 

Most people put the plate setter legs down, then something to create an air gap, and then the stone. Moving the stone higher up in the dome helps cook the top properly before the bottom burns. You can even use a couple bricks wrapped in foil to raise the stone into the dome. 

Heat the Egg and stone together for at least 30 minutes to allow temps to stabilize and the stone to hear through. 

Foe or your first attempt that pie looks pretty good. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Looks like you did a great job. 

Agree w/ @CTMike - have the patience to let the Egg temp lock in because you are opening the Egg much more with pizza than other cooks. 

I go legs up, raised grate (gasket line) then stone. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Looks like you did a great job. 

Agree w/ @CTMike - have the patience to let the Egg temp lock in because you are opening the Egg much more with pizza than other cooks. 

I go legs up, raised grate (gasket line) then stone. 
    Legs up for me also, I have tried it both ways several times and for my set up legs up works best for cooking the bottom and top at the same time.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I agree with the other CT Mike. =)

I prefer my oven, but when I used to do them in my egg, here was my setup...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Nice looking first cook. I go with legs up and firebricks to raise the pizza stone. If you like, feel free to read the short guide I wrote to how I cook pizza with a Big Green Egg:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/08/24/cooking-pizza-with-a-big-green-egg/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ohhh....there was a guide  :o

Thanks for the feedback!
    Hope next time its similar to Carolina Q said:
    I agree with the other CT Mike. =)

I prefer my oven, but when I used to do them in my egg, here was my setup...

• My pizza tonight 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Another way to move the pizza from the peel to the stone is to make the pie on top of parchment paper.  Just slide the paper with pie into the egg, then after a couple minutes pull the paper out and continue to let the pie cook on the stone. 

Depending how often you make pies, consider getting an instant surface temp thermometer to see the temp of the stone - it varies greatly from what the dome thermometer says.   I like to keep the stone about 600-650 degrees FWIW.

Good luck! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300