Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great start to a new millinium!

Options
Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Egg has helped bring in the new millinium in fine fashion. Sunday night saw a teryaki pork tenderloin grilled to perfection. For the New Year's Day feast, I subbed thick cut pork chops for the hog jowls. They were spinkled with salt and pepper, then seared at 700° and dwelled until done. Out of this world! Tonight was a apple juice butted chicken that was rubbed with kosher salt, paprika, and minced garlic with some pecan chips thrown on the fire (375° over a drip pan.) Came out tender, juicey, and sweet.
Tomorrow night will be my first go at pizzas on the Egg. I also found some Citrus Splash at the store (Tangerine-Balsamic) that I am going to try on some chicken parts on Thursday night. With the cold weather we're having (not the hard core, Midwestern stuff but in Atlanta anything below 40° is cold :-)) Friday might just see some Brunswick stew.
If I might plagerize for a moment: Life IS Good!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chipper,
    I tried something great with the citrus splash the other day. Make a paste with yellow mustard, dijon mustard, a bunch of black pepper and onion/garlic powder, some cayenne, add a couple tablespoons of the citrus splash and some peanut oil. and soy sauce (or salt). Cover chicken pieces with the paste and marinate a few hours. Good stuff with a nice crust, and plenty of citrus flavor, along with some pepper kick. This was good.[p]Citrus splash by itself can be pretty citrussy, and in need of some other favors. So far, I have found that a little goes a long way.[p]Just some thoughts. Your recent cooking adventures sound great!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Chipper,
    I'll follow Nature Boy with the Citrus Splash theme...I use lots of garlic, fresh ginger, freshly ground pepper or grains of paradise, sriracha sauce (or any spicy sauce) and some bourbon mixed with the tangerine-balsamic splash; sometimes I add some sesame oil. I've used variations of this on chicken, salmon, and yellowtail tuna and it's just excellent. Eggscuse, me...that's eggcellent. Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Remember those pork loins I was wondering how to cook for the New Year's party? Well, after much hemming and hawing and since I was running out of time, I ended up doing them with a marinade of only Citrus Splash and a "rub" of just Kosher salt. I applied these the night before cooking. A few hours before cooking, I injected the loins with even more Citrus Splash. For the cook, I threw several chunks of mesquite wood on the Egg (I know smoke flavor is a personal preference...I'm one of them who LOVES the smoke flavor). I threw the loins on at 150*, over a drip pan, in a rack. I let the temp slowly...very slowly... rise all the way up to about 300 and cooked the loins until about 145* internal.[p]After about a 10 minute rest, I started carving. Let me just say that the mere sight of a knife made these pork loins shoot pork/Citrus juice literally off the plate. My guests heard me "complain" about getting juice on my shoes since it was so juicy it was falling off the plate. The smoke rings were tremendous, too. The Bobby Flay sauce ended up not as good as I'd hoped, but even if it had turned out great, I would not have considered insulting this pork with sauce. This was the kind of meat that comes out soooo good you can't even consider adding any sauce or extras (kinda like a nice juicy BGE streak...I haven't bought A-1 since I got the Egg...).[p]Anyway, just thought I'd mention this. The mention of Citrus Splash just evoked some fine memories during this long afternoon at work...[p]I will be cooking these again VERY soon...probably this weekend...[p]Cornfed
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Bobby Flay move over!! I love reports like yours. Man, that sounds good.
    the cheap plastic injector I have broke. What a piece of crap! Do you have one of those metal cajun injectors?? I am in the market for one.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy[p]I picked mine up at Wally World, cost me about 6 bucks and it had some pretty good injector sauce with it - cajun flavor if I remember right. The injector portion of the thing is pretty solid plastic, the needle is metal and has held up pretty well for me over the past few years. Nice thing about it also is that the needle comes off, fits into the plunger portion and makes storage really easy. Heck, for 6 bucks, 2 years isnt that bad of mileage in my books. I found mine over the meat counter at Wal Mart, not with the sauces and marinades.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Man, it is funny hearing what people get at Wal Marts around the country. No meat at any WalMarts out this way. I will keep my eyes peeled. I know BBQs Galore had one, but it was like 20 bucks.
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I was fortunate enough to find my first one right here in town. It was attached to a jar of Cajun Seasoning! $5.83 for the seasoning and the injector! Then a week later, my wife picks up the same thing with a different flavor of Cajun Seasoning at Wal-Mart for $4.25. Like Sprinter or maybe it was GFW said, the neddle unscrews and stores in the injector itself! Now I've got two, for half the price I was gona pay for one from Cabella's! It pays to keep your eyes open![p]Dr. Chicken

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]To be honest, I used a loaner from Finger Lickin' Tom and I don't even remember the its brand name. I'll check with him (or maybe he'll reply to this post if he's lurking out there). In honesty, I was too busy scarfing down that scrumptious pork loin to notice too much of anything that night...[p]Cornfed