Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork steak cook

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
f669936d.jpg
<p />I started with 1/2" pork steaks and grilled at 375/400 till almost done. Simmered in Maulls for about 3 hours till fall off the bone tender. I'm cooking these for a 97 year old friend in St louis who has been without power for the last 5 days or so. Will vaccum seal and deliver on Thursday. Tom

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Bajatom,dang they look good. What is Maulls?
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Looks great![p]Just so I follow you.........[p]You grilled the chops direct "until almost done".
    Then you placed them in the pan and simmered with sauce (Maulls whatever that is) for 3 hours.[p]I've been wanting to cook some thick chops. Yours look so good I might as well try it your way.[p][p]

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,maulls is a St Louis BBQ sauce institution check out their site@ maulls.com

[ul][li]http://maulls.com[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    FrankG, noted, thank you.

• BajaTom
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I usually get a thicker cut pork steak. I usually buy 3/4" steaks. I grill them for about 10/15 minutes a side at about 325/350 until almost done. I put them in a pan and cover with BBQ sauce. Simmer for 2 or 3 hours and they will be fall off the bone tender. Good luck, Tom

• BajaTom
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Here is the entire cook
    b4318c5a.jpg
    fd9657cb.jpg
    f669936d.jpg

• Unknown
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Just a couple more questions:
    1. What is a porl steak? Is it just a butt cut cross the bone?[p]2. When yoiu say simmer for 2-3 hrs, are you cooking indirect in the pan? at what temp, 350?[p]Like to try this as I love Mauls, looks like you have a bottle or two in the pan[p]Howard

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Got to "warn" you. Maulls is an acquired taste. Like White Castle hamburgers - you either love it or hate it. St. Louis and "eastern" side of Missouri folks love it. KC and "western" side of Missouri folks don't.[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO
    (We lean mostly "eastward")

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Howard,
    Yeah, pork steaks are sliced butt. Around these parts you get more pork steaks then whole butts. In fact, first time I asked for a Boston Butt the butcher said: "Oh, you want a really thick pork steak, eh?" ;-)[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• BajaTom
    Options
    Howard,
    I cook direct for both the grill part and the simmer part. It is just an aluminan pan from the dollar store. I used a medium size bottle of Maulls and I used a little water to rinse out the bottle and added that to the pan. I got the temp down to about 225/250 for the simmer time. I would rotate the steaks to make sure all were covered in the sauce. Good luck, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, thanks for the warning. I don't intend to order any. I had no idea what it was. Now that I know it is barbecue sauce, that's all I need to know. I'll use one I have in the pantry.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I am not from St.Louis so I am not biased, be I wanted to try it as there was a bunch of posts probably 6 months ago that made me interested. It is a very mild sauce, very ketchuppy tasting. My kids like it so we use it quite often now.[p]Howard