Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

True grits........finally

Options
I was doing a private dinner and wanted some grits. I posed the question to the forum asking if someone could send me some. No one stepped up. 

A while later ate there was another post if I recall correctly, about someone asking for someone to send something to them and it was obliged. I commented that no one sent me any grits I needed. 

Low and behold @northGAcock read the post and messaged me letting me know he wanted to send me some real grits to cook up. Alas the function I needed it for was long done, but I was still interested in acquiring some real grits  ( what I did procure was an abysmal look alike and I wasn't happy with them but they were still well received by the guests).  

Looking forward to to putting these on my plate. 

Thank you you once again to @northGAcock for sending these over. 
Now how the hell do I cook em. 

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    are there no directions on the back?
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    are there no directions on the back?
    Yes there is. Northgacock is gonna give me a tutorial. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Now how the hell do I cook em. 
    Watch My Cousin Vinny. =)

The more important question is, why would you WANT to?! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah the recipe on the bag is probably gonna yield some pretty plain grits.  I am sure @northGAcock will steer you in the right direction.  An easy mod is to replace 1/2 the water with whole milk.  In my house- grits always have cheese. I like sharp white cheddar because it doesn't change the color so you don't to feel guilty about how much cheese you added. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options

The more important question is, why would you WANT to?! 
    lol agreed born and lived in the south almost my entire life but never figured out how to love grits
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I am from PA and I love them!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Garsh I thought this was gonna be about gun slinging. Oh well. Real grits are tough to beat. Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    You can also substitute chicken broth for water to enhance the flavor. 
    Carrollton, Va
  • onedbguru
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There are grits, grit cakes (more like polenta), creamy grits and the enhancers that go with them. I would like to see any recipe @northGAcock is willing to share. 

So far the best ever shrimp and grits I have had comes from a restaurant in Fairfax, VA called Coastal Flats. ( and I have had many samplings from NC, SC and GA.) That aside from a variation we cook ourselves  as mine contains homemade/Egg smoked bacon. :) 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I had a friend in college back in the day from up yonder somewhere (ie, the North), and he did NOT understand grits.  He said he didn't like them because they didn't taste like "anything".  I tried explaining that grits are a "vehicle" and it was the things you add to them that make them so good.  Like crumbled up bacon, sausage, egg, and then of course, could add cheese for cheese grits.  He used to say "If I could taste just ONE grit, then maybe I'd get it".  I told him if he could taste 1 grit, he had better taste buds than me.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    I had a friend in college back in the day from up yonder somewhere (ie, the North), and he did NOT understand grits.  He said he didn't like them because they didn't taste like "anything".  I tried explaining that grits are a "vehicle" and it was the things you add to them that make them so good.  Like crumbled up bacon, sausage, egg, and then of course, could add cheese for cheese grits.  He used to say "If I could taste just ONE grit, then maybe I'd get it".  I told him if he could taste 1 grit, he had better taste buds than me.
    That was always my opinion too. Grits taste like whatever you put in them. And ONLY that. So why bother with grits? Just eat salted butter. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm from Boston and used to love B side lounge in Cambridge for their ham steak with grits and red -eye gravy.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That was always my opinion too. Grits taste like whatever you put in them. And ONLY that. So why bother with grits? Just eat salted butter. :)

@Carolina Q

(See what I did there???)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Awesome @hondabbq. Winnipeg isn't the hot bed of grits it could be. Glad you're leading the charge. Next time I got to Joey Kenniston or Earls I bet they will be copying your lead :)

I work in corn research and it's gonna be a long, long time before we get white corn bred for Western Canada so I'm super glad @northGAcock was able to hook you up. I hope you sent him some sauce...

My wish list is for corn tortillas but I'm headed to St Louis next week so I will bring home a bunch. It's so funny that things that are so common to one person are so unique to another. It's a big world. Plus I need to find your BBQ sauce when I'm out in Nov. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @hondabbq - I would highly recommend this recipe for your grits.  

http://www.evansvilleliving.com/articles/grits-casserole

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • onedbguru
    Options
    I notice the ingredients list says "real grits".  As opposed to fake??
  • Carolina Q
    Options

(See what I did there???)
    Nope. Not a clue.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Those are some true grits you have there. Follow the directions on the back of the bag and do them with plenty of salt and CHEESE, and you can't go wrong. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Bacon grease.  Grits need bacon grease, cheese and shrimp.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I might have a small problem with grits and whatnot...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chief9 said:
    You can also substitute chicken broth for water to enhance the flavor. 
    This. 50/50 chicken stock/broth and heavy cream or half and half. It really depends on the quality of grits that you have. Some I'll just do with salted water and others(typically dinner grits) with cream and cheese. Add just salt and pepper to plain grits and drop a sunny side egg on top with some sausage. That right there is heaven on a plate.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @hondabbq   All here have offered good advice. My approach Is put grits in Crock pot with stick of butter, water & salt over night. In morning add some heavy cream  & sharp cheddar cheese. Hope you Enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    If you're going to do "real" old fashioned grits, then a rice cooker is your friend. I do 2/3 cups of grits and salt, pepper, and butter and about 3 cups of water. When the rice cooker turns off, stir the grits and hit the cook button again. You may have to do that twice, depending on your grits. Beats the heck out of constantly stirring on the stove.

We buy non-GMO grits from a farm in Florida. Good stuff. None of that instant stuff for us.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What they said above about chicken stock and milk or cream.  Use some to make shrimp and cheesy grits. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Butter poach shrimp and use the butter to finish your grits:  http://ruhlman.com/2011/11/butter-poached-shrimp-and-grits/

Also, if you want to keep getting gifts in the future, I can strongly recommend any of these providers:
    http://mcewenandsons.com/
    http://www.geechieboymill.com/
    http://www.ansonmills.com/

If you order from Anson Mills, also get some Carolina Gold rice.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As above, you might want to check out the Anson Mills site. They are also SC based, like Palmetto Farms. I buy a couple of pounds of Anson's grits every year, and reserve them for holiday meals.

The owner of Anson gave some interviews a few years ago. It seems that standard store bought grits have almost no relation to what was grown and used up thru the 1920s. Different corn, different times of harvest, different grinding method. The best variety corn had in fact disappeared from America, and was brought back from Italy where it was still used for the best polenta. Anson's stuff needs to be kept refrigerated, or it will go bad after a few months, because the corn oil is still in the ground corn.