Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck n Chicken

Options
Pot Licker
Pot Licker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the opportunity to cook a birthday meal for my folks (who recently purchased a medium egg Yea) But the rest of the siblings are still without belief of the eggs ability, So I want to a duck and a chicken, I understand that for duck low and slow is the best method. 250 deg direct for four/five hours and I have cooked chicken at 300 for two/three. Should I cook these birds at the duck temp/time or open the lid after a while and throw the duck on? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]I've only slow smoked a duck once - and that was in my old vertical smoker. But I have never seen so much fat come out of a single bird so I would question whether it should be cooked direct.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]My experiences with duck is that it takes longer to cook than chicken, because it has so much fat. I haven't tried one direct. With a drip pan under one, it sounded like a deep fryer doing a batch of 'taters. I would expect one cooked direct to start a grease fire.[p]gdenby
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pot Licker,
    I do a couple of domestic ducks every few months; I cut out the backbone and save it for stock, use a 250-300F fire, with inverted platesetter (legs up) and a heavy pan to catch the drippings; my favorite wood is pecan, and I brine them overnight with the recipe below - note that wild ducks can be very different from the farm-raised kind(s), and this is all assuming you'll be using the farm-raised kind[p]Direct (as others have noted) isn't the best way; besides the flareups and greasy smoke nastiness, you also lose the duck fat that would otherwise accumulate in the drip pan[p]*Carefully* pour out the rendered fat into a heavy container (not plastic - glass is best, like the Pyrex refrigerator dishes), let it cool, and you will have the finest frying medium I know of - for example, small-diced red/new potatoes sauteed in duck fat are superb ... and don't even get me started on scallops[p]
    Tea Marinade/Brine for Duck[p]Lots of loose green tea leaves (I like to use "Gunpowder Green Tea" in the can)
    Orange juice (about 1 cup)
    Red wine to cover the duck
    Black pepper
    Kosher salt - about 2 tbsp[p]Mix all in large nonreactive bowl or large ziploc container (I prefer the ziploc); add the spatchcocked (?) duck(s), and let it sit regrigerated overnight, ensuring that the brine covers the duck[p]When ready to cook, leave the tea leaves on the skin of the duck, especialy the breast,, and cook it cavity-side down to protect the breast meat ("maigrets")

• Pot Licker
    Pot Licker Posts: 21
    Options
    ToddM, Thanks for the insight, on the duck. Any thoughts on doing a duck and chicken together, or is it like Ghost buster light beams that should never cross?
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]When you have a lot of time and want to experiment, you may want to do a turducken. I have also just deboned a chicken and debreasted a duck removing most of skin and fat, put the duck breast inside the chicken, sewed it up and cooked them that way. You are not going to get a crispy duck skin, but the dark meat is good and it should come out moist. Like I said, this takes some time and a little practice, but you will be surprised how good it can be.

• Unknown
    Options
    Pot Licker,[p]I like duck just-pink rare, but not "rose'" or anything like that (i.e., pink juices and quite rare at the bone), so I'd think that the answer is "maybe": if you like the well-done, fall-apart chicken like you can get at rotisserie counters, it would probably be great (it will also have a smokier aspect to the taste); if you like the roasted chicken with crispy-ish skin and light, juicy meat, you may need to do the duck first, then pull it and let the Egg get closer to 400 before cooking the chicken[p]Never having actually done both on the same occasion, I can only guess at the dual-bird truth, altho' some folks here have done a TurDucken, so search for that in the Archives[p]try it both ways and see for sure what you like best - it's not like you'll have problems with the leftovers from either way