Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--Post Season Baseball

Options

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Here we go!!!  Even Year equals torture Giants Baseball heading towards another World Series.  The Dodgers are going to regret not eliminating us this weekend!
    Here we go!!!  Even Year equals torture Giants Baseball heading towards another World Series.  The Dodgers are going to regret not eliminating us this weekend!

If we can get the east cost umpires to make some decent calls we might actually make it out of the fist round this year 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Umps definitely wanted the Cubs it seemed. I think baseball and TV wanted the Cubs. 

162 exposes a teams weakness. Not like that weakness goes away when it turns to October and the pressure goes up. At least it is clear what area the Giants need to fix in the off season. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Umps definitely wanted the Cubs it seemed. I think baseball and TV wanted the Cubs. 

162 exposes a teams weakness. Not like that weakness goes away when it turns to October and the pressure goes up. At least it is clear what area the Giants need to fix in the off season. 
    Same umps that we're giving Cueto 6" off the plate in game 1. Rose colored glasses. It rubs both ways. I wouldn't want their job. HD slo mo replays. No way. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    it's called orange colored glasses @pgprescott

I love baseball.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    They missed a replay call. Twice!  How do you miss replay!?!?! 

They arent why the Giants lost and I am not saying it is, but the replay results are fairly indisputable. Everyone could see it. First in the Mets game and then again in the Cubs series. 

If anyone thinks that there is not an east coast bias for TV ratings and the timing of the games, then they really don't understand how powerful money is. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Don't follow baseball too much, but with only the one team to cheer for her goes "go Blue Jays"
  • tikigriller
    Options
    At this point I just want anyone but the Cubs or dodgers. Dodgers for all the obvious reasons, and Cubs because a large percentage of their fans are running around talking like they already won the World Series, which I think they will, but when a Cubs fan starts to sound like a yankee fan it's time to put things back into their rightful place in the world. Brag AFTER you win a championship in less than 100 years. You should not be allowed to brag until then.  LOL

I take bavk my umpire comments. I don't like it to sound like orange colored glasses or sour grapes, it just mystifies me how they can miss a replay call no matter what sport or who it is against. 

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    They miss lots of calls, nature of the beast.  It's always more noticeable and memorable when the game is important and I've never tried to keep track.  

Re bias and $, I can't see that seeping into the umpiring, but maybe I'm just too naive.

I agree on the replays, I am truly baffled by some of those.  We need Robots!

Of the teams left, I'd love to see a Cleveland v Cubs WS, and wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs win, although that would kill what has been a great storyline for years/decades/centuries
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

If anyone thinks that there is not an east coast bias for TV ratings and the timing of the games, then they really don't understand how powerful money is. 
    I don't think it is really bias, or a way to screw west coast teams, it is really just simple math.  TV networks pay a lot of money to be able to broadcast these games and they would rather not start games when most of the country is heading to bed.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Late June.....The greatest show on dirt in Ohama. You can't beat it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Acn said:

I don't think it is really bias, or a way to screw west coast teams, it is really just simple math.  TV networks pay a lot of money to be able to broadcast these games and they would rather not start games when most of the country is heading to bed.
    Agreed.

Regular season games start times are oriented to the home team market and that is the way it should be but in post season play it's important to try and schedule playoff games at a time when the most people will be able to watch. Both from a fan perspective and a financial one.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Acn said:

Agreed.

Regular season games start times are oriented to the home team market and that is the way it should be but in post season play it's important to try and schedule playoff games at a time when the most people will be able to watch. Both from a fan perspective and a financial one.
    Well assuming the fix is in, how is that not an east coast bias?  That is exactly why there is a bias....it's for the east coast and those teams that just happen to be there. 

If if the world really is still dark like the Black sox, then there is no doubt the networks all want Cubs to be in the series as no matter who they play against, they will have the strongest pull. 

Livermore, California
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Acn said:

Agreed.

Well assuming the fix is in, how is that not an east coast bias?  That is exactly why there is a bias....it's for the east coast and those teams that just happen to be there. 

If if the world really is still dark like the Black sox, then there is no doubt the networks all want Cubs to be in the series as no matter who they play against, they will have the strongest pull. 
    I don't get at all what you are trying to say.

Scheduling start times in order to maximize the potential audience for a televised event is hardly the same thing as believing that there is a dark cigar smoke filled room where Masters of The Universe are deciding which teams will win certain games in order to achieve their pre-decided outcome.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Last year Rangers were not pleased with the Bautista bat flip ....
    so this year Gomez retaliated with this:  =)
    http://mlb.mlb.com/images/7/6/6/205556766/100916_tex_gomez_bat_flip_med_f94i88co.gif
    canuckland
  • tikigriller
    Options

That is what I am saying.  Or that is what some think.  The Umpires are told, when a play is close, to give it to "X" team as an effort to hopefully get the teams the networks and MLB wants to have advance to the next round.

I don't like to think it to be true.  99% of my being believes it is straight up, and if there was a cigar filled room, that it would have come out by now in all the books that pro athletes write unless it goes so deep that if they speak about it, they lose major money or something, but now I am getting out of control.

Do I think the four big sports are fixed?   No, not really...but it is and always will be, throughout history, questionable when an umpire blows an obvious call like the one against the Cardinals was it a long time ago, where the call was so bad at first base, the umpire got death threats, etc.  This was long before replay...and then two Replay Calls that you can easily tell in the replay the guy was out yet called safe in this post season for the Giants.

This is not sour grapes...and this is heading down a path that ultimately is probably not even worth debate, as I side with the 'Good and Innocent" side much more so than I do the "Dark and demented" side!

Now...ask me if Boxing is Fixed? The Olympics or any sport that is "judged" and not decided by scoring.......that is exactly why I do not watch those sports because I do think they are almost all fixed in some fashion or another.

Livermore, California
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have been listening to 95.7 all day,  I'm loving today lol
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Figured it was a Bay Area station-just googled it.  No wonder you are dialed in ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I have been listening to 95.7 all day,  I'm loving today lol

I imagine you follow the A's and are enjoying the Giant's finally behaving like the A's do in the post season by losing in the first round......misery loves company as they say!

Livermore, California
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

That is what I am saying.  Or that is what some think.  The Umpires are told, when a play is close, to give it to "X" team as an effort to hopefully get the teams the networks and MLB wants to have advance to the next round.

I don't like to think it to be true.  99% of my being believes it is straight up, and if there was a cigar filled room, that it would have come out by now in all the books that pro athletes write unless it goes so deep that if they speak about it, they lose major money or something, but now I am getting out of control.

Do I think the four big sports are fixed?   No, not really...but it is and always will be, throughout history, questionable when an umpire blows an obvious call like the one against the Cardinals was it a long time ago, where the call was so bad at first base, the umpire got death threats, etc.  This was long before replay...and then two Replay Calls that you can easily tell in the replay the guy was out yet called safe in this post season for the Giants.

This is not sour grapes...and this is heading down a path that ultimately is probably not even worth debate, as I side with the 'Good and Innocent" side much more so than I do the "Dark and demented" side!

Now...ask me if Boxing is Fixed? The Olympics or any sport that is "judged" and not decided by scoring.......that is exactly why I do not watch those sports because I do think they are almost all fixed in some fashion or another.

This I understand and can sympathize with, I think mentioning start times is what threw us off on this loop.  Ultimately though, I think we're in the same spot, when using humans there will always be human error.

I would also agree that Fox and MLB probably like to see the Cubs in the WS, the story of 100+ years, the called shot, the billy goat, Bartman, etc and the 3rd largest city in the country would make for great ratings.  But I really don't think they'd do anything overt to swing the series to them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• HeavyG
    Options
    Acn said:

This I understand and can sympathize with, I think mentioning start times is what threw us off on this loop.  Ultimately though, I think we're in the same spot, when using humans there will always be human error.

I would also agree that Fox and MLB probably like to see the Cubs in the WS, the story of 100+ years, the called shot, the billy goat, Bartman, etc and the 3rd largest city in the country would make for great ratings.  But I really don't think they'd do anything overt to swing the series to them.
    I'm sure the networks and MLB are enjoying the run the Cubs are having but I can't believe that anyone really believes that umpires/MLB/TV have been in cahoots since opening day to get the Cubs to where they are now. And remember, it's not over till it's over - the Cubs haven't won the whole enchilada yet. They could still lose, thus taking another conspiracy theory down with them. :)

I'm not a fan of instant replay (especially as currently implemented by MLB). Umps are human and they only get to see a play from one angle in realtime. It's easy for for us fans to second guess them when we get the chance to see a play from a half-dozen angles in slow motion numerous times.

• tikigriller
    Options
    I agree with you, but they could influence a game. None of the bad calls made the Giants lose. It's just about influence. Perhaps there is an angle in New York when watching a replay we don't get to see that changes everything. 

I believe it to be real and not fixed or I would not watch. Umpires also have to make split second choices. For the most part, I never fault them on the field, it's when they get replay possibly wrong based on what we get to see that mystifies me. 

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I am old but there is the human element in play here.  I'm with the replay for any play (any sport) that results in a questionable score (likely most important in the very low scoring matches like soccer) given the technology.  And the various challenge rules make sense.  
    But to slo-mo, stop frame for every questionable call is going too far.
    Interestingly, a related input-some question why swim meets don't time to the thousandth of a second given technology.  The public answer is that the pool/lane construction variables are outside that specification.  Works for me.
    FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Haven't watched baseball in years until now. I'm done with the NFL so baseball is filling in. 
    VA Beach
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    In about 172 days we start all over. Its gonna be a long winter wait for me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ^^^ Wicked travel days right there  ;)  Will they stoop to a bus??  
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tikigriller
    Options
    You need a beer, grab a beer!  

Livermore, California
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You need a beer, grab a beer!  
    Or pull a Trump
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I really do feel so bad for Boche. Poor guy had nothing to work with at all. He could have had another ring this year if Evans would have gotten him a damn closer. 

Livermore, California