Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Classic French Omelette - OT

Options
There was a recent discussion on here about omelettes and I thought I'd show you my latest attempt. I watched Pepin do a classic French omelette and I thought his came out much nicer than the one I saw Julia make. But then, he IS French. :) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EzjcpCIaiw
So, for breakfast this morning, I decided to try again, attempting his method. Three eggs, fresh thyme, green onions and s&p done in a buttered non-stick $10 omelette pan using a metal fork (as in Pepin's video). A VERY quick cook, just a couple of minutes!

I'm no Jacques Pepin, that's for sure, but I was pleased with the result. Nice and creamy on the inside too! I'll be happy if I can get them to turn out like this with any regularity! Thanks for lookin'.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    if that's what you like, but when i hear 'creamy' I see runny, uncooked, under-cooked or otherwise nasty, not a fan.  But nice job making it to his specs.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nailed it-learned a new omelette cooking method just now.  Likely more talent required than I will be able to muster, but will give it a go.  Thanks for the link.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I tend to like a little color to them (some browning), but i'm aware that makes me a heathen. 

Yours look good. Love Pepin. Guy is just so casual and relaxed
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    if that's what you like, but when i hear 'creamy' I see runny, uncooked, under-cooked or otherwise nasty, not a fan.  But nice job making it to his specs.
    That's what I thought too, raw, slimy, inedible. Not even sure why I tried it, for that very reason. But that's not what this is... it's creamy. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed it-learned a new omelette cooking method just now.  Likely more talent required than I will be able to muster, but will give it a go.  Thanks for the link.
    Give it a try. Hope you like!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I tend to like a little color to them (some browning), but i'm aware that makes me a heathen. 

Yours look good. Love Pepin. Guy is just so casual and relaxed
    Not a heathen. As Pepin says, one is not better than the other, they are just different. 

Here, he makes one of each...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10etP1p2bU

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've also followed his method for omelets'.....then again I prefer my scrambled eggs wet and sunny side up yolks runny....it's a flavor thing...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Nice work, Q. But when he cuts into it at the end, it still looks underdone on the inside, and as Zippy says, Ew! Maybe we are all used to overcooked omelettes here in the states.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Nice work, Q. But when he cuts into it at the end, it still looks underdone on the inside, and as Zippy says, Ew! Maybe we are all used to overcooked omelettes here in the states.
    Yep, that's what I thought too. I think it must be the continuous beating they get as they are cooking that converts them from disgusting to delicious. Not "ew" at all. 

And besides, this is Jacques Pepin!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I love me some Jacques and Julia. I have their joint cookbook and was just looking at it today, it's a great book! I think the french omelette he makes is great, I would let it go for another few seconds or so. I love the way he gets it on the plate.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I love me some Jacques and Julia. I have their joint cookbook and was just looking at it today, it's a great book! I think the french omelette he makes is great, I would let it go for another few seconds or so. I love the way he gets it on the plate.
    The plating is actually the easy part. The hard part is deciding, "okay, this still looks a little raw, but I'm gonna quit anyway." :rofl: Give it a try.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    When it comes to omelettes I'm almost always a tamagoyaki guy but that is a decent looking French omelette.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I love french omelettes. I learned to make them by watching Jaques Pepin on television too. They require practice and I find it's a perishable skill - but I still like to make them. 

Yours looks great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    When it comes to omelettes I'm almost always a tamagoyaki guy but that is a decent looking French omelette.
    Tamagoyaki? I don't even know what that IS! I found some pics that look much more well done. Yes?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

SciAggie said:
    I love french omelettes. I learned to make them by watching Jaques Pepin on television too. They require practice and I find it's a perishable skill - but I still like to make them. 

Yours looks great. 
    Thanks. I doubt I'll make a habit of these so "perishable skill" may be pretty accurate. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've been working on French omelets for some time as well. Yours looks great! My toddler loves these omelets, so I take a crack at them almost every weekend. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I for one appreciate your effort and results. We are conditioned to eat certain things in particular ways. This is what they call sophistication and cultured. I'm by no means either, but that doesn't mean we can't learn to better appreciate those things that might be above our individual levels of sophistication. Beautiful omelet!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Tamagoyaki? I don't even know what that IS! I found some pics that look much more well done. Yes?
    Each layer has to set enough so it can be flipped or rolled but the layer still has a moist surface to help it adhere to the previous layer.

When finished, there is no runny or creamy stuff that will ooze out when sliced so I guess you could say it is a bit more well done than a french omelette but I think it is more that the moistness is spread around the finished omelette in multiple layers rather than just being in one creamy "core".

Here's a neat video of a skilled chef making one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIcJ_tdEJM
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:
    I've been working on French omelets for some time as well. Yours looks great! My toddler loves these omelets, so I take a crack at them almost every weekend. 
    I for one appreciate your effort and results. We are conditioned to eat certain things in particular ways. This is what they call sophistication and cultured. I'm by no means either, but that doesn't mean we can't learn to better appreciate those things that might be above our individual levels of sophistication. Beautiful omelet!
    Thanks, guys! I'm new at this. Oh, I've done omelettes from time to time over the years, but more the well done, filled with ham and cheese, browned a bit on both sides style. This is a different taste treat for sure.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks good to me. Runny is not quite right, but creamy is fine. That is what toast is for. Eggs still wet enough that w. the butter, the toast becomes a fine pillow.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Here's a neat video of a skilled chef making one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIcJ_tdEJM
    Neat video indeed. I've never seen an omelette or a pan like that. And he did it with chopsticks!! Cool!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Looks good to me. Runny is not quite right, but creamy is fine. That is what toast is for. Eggs still wet enough that w. the butter, the toast becomes a fine pillow.
    Thanks. I did have a slice of toast with it, but it wasn't so wet I had to have one.

Those of you who have never had eggs like this (and I was most definitely one) need to try it at least once. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Yessir!!  Looks too pretty to eat!  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    gdenby said:
    You beat me to it.  Gordon can still F up some toast.  The creamy crunchy combo is killer.  A little more work, but worth it.
    https://youtu.be/PUP7U5vTMM0

Well put my friend.

gdenby said:
    Thanks. I did have a slice of toast with it, but it wasn't so wet I had to have one.

Those of you who have never had eggs like this (and I was most definitely one) need to try it at least once. 
    Pepin is by far, my favorite chef to watch cook.  Graceful with everything he does and touches.  A true Thunder God in my book.  Right there with Kirk Hammett. 

Eggs are, without a doubt, my favorite power food.  Cholesterol is good(for most), despite what we've been led to believe.

After overcooking eggs for the longest time, one appreciates when they are done right, and when they're from my friend Brenda's farm.  I can put them down in a pinch, raw.

Still baffles me, how us Americans, are pretty good at being conditioned, to screw up a simple egg.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Pepin is truly the Master.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great to me.  I gave it a try this morning and I either need more practice or a better skillet (probably both). It turned out OK but at the end it was too underdone for me so I gave it a flip and cooked the other side. It still had an interesting texture with the tight curds. I would also require cheese in the future. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i love the thin creamy omelets, never considered them runny. i think the pot shop of boston still carries julias million dollar buffed aluminum omelet pan. =). my only problem with french omelets is i only want an omelet when im really hungry and its 5 eggs less one white, a pound kielbasi, sauteed onions, raw onions, and a ton of cheddar ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I just watched a couple of Julia's omelette shows. Jacques' are prettier and he seems to take more care with them. Julia's look a bit easier and take less time. She was talking about an impromptu dinner party for 300 of her closest friends - in 20 minutes! =) She didn't say where she got 300 plates. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoLavF2ZLU

@fishlessman, she talked about the pot shop pans, and showed them. Sound's like she prefers the thinner, cheaper ones. She didn't use the pot shop pan until she got to the dinner party part. Maybe because they're thicker and retain heat better for production line cooking? My pan cost 10 bucks. The pot shop, $190.

https://www.potshopofboston.com/collections/omelette/products/10-high-polished-omlette-pan

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Whoa....looks pretty amazing. Definitely a new technique on me. I will have to try this, I would love that "creamy" egg, whereas my wife not so much. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Whoa....looks pretty amazing. Definitely a new technique on me. I will have to try this, I would love that "creamy" egg, whereas my wife not so much. 
    See if you can get her to at least try it. Frankly, I didn't think I would like it either. Raw, slimy eggs ain't my thing! Except they aren't raw or slimy.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut