Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Platesetter

Options
newbie11/2008
newbie11/2008 Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a hairline crack that appears to run on both sides not quite halfway across the platesetter. Can I use the JB Weld now with say a putty knife to force into the crack or do I have to have a full break for it to work correctly?

I have a fire ring that is in two pieces and a fire box with one long crack but haven't used the weld since they still do their job.

Thanks Mark

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I say don't worry about it until they become unusable..and it depends on your dealer wether they warranty the platesetter or not.
  • newbie11/2008
    Options
    Thank you, I may just go that route. I'm only worried that it will fail in the middle of an overnight cook but if it falls just right it may still do it's job laying on top of the coals
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Well you should know for sure it will only fail at a moment just like you mentioned..LOL...contact your dealer and see what their position is with regards to warranty.
  • newbie11/2008
    Options
    I'll give them a call next week. Yes you're right most likely during a big cook with expensive cuts of meat and all of the inlaws over. That's ok the inlaws would probably enjoy making fun of my failure better than they would enjoy my great cooking.

Psssst don't tell my wife. Have a great weekend
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's exactly how mine is cracked.

if you don't bump it or drop it, it should be fine for a while. believe it or not, when in use LEGS UP, the platesetter's broad surface doesn't really carry any weight, since the force goes straight down thru the legs into the fire ring. but if you use it legs down, and put something ON it, you will be stressing the crack.

if it were to break mid cook, if the crack grew, you might have a problem of course. but i'm risking mine til it breaks cleanly, then i'll try JBWeld or another idea i have. i'm still cruising on my cracked platesetter. got a butt going now, and did this set up last week. platesetter (legs up), carrying ceramic BGE feet, themselves carrying a roasting pan

06_simmering.jpg

even carrying this load it did fine. normally, though, with legs up and the grid on it, only the legs are doing the work.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Doesn't the platesetter come with a 1 yr warranty? I don't remember, and obviously doesn't cover user error, but I thought accessories had a 1 yr window? I may be making that up :laugh:
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @wts70mc Never used the epoxy. JB weld is good to 550 degrees and costs a lot less.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    LRW said:
    @wts70mc Never used the epoxy. JB weld is good to 550 degrees and costs a lot less.
    But the platesetter is exposed to temps far higher than 550º. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    LRW said:
    But the platesetter is exposed to temps far higher than 550º. 

Agreed but the epoxy is only good for 500 and it cost $21.00
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I wouldn't use either.  The Big Green Egg brand of convEGGtor and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original purchaser. If the platesetter is within this time period, I would get it replaced under warranty.  If not under warranty, use it until it fails and then look into replacing the indirect setup being used - maybe an adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I repaired a plate setter that I dropped with JB, clamped for two days and after a dozen or so cooks it broke again. I would contact dealer before it breaks completely. Take some good pictures of to document the cracks. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The Plate Setter comes with a three year warranty and I am on my third and last my dealer said for a replacement one.  I had a hairline crack in second one for a while till it finally broke apart.  If you use JB Weld, make sure it is the high heat stuff.  I have wrapped the 2 pieces with heavy duty foil for a L&S before and it worked ok.  Not sure what I am going to do when my current one cracks. My replacement fire box is the old style and the AR won't work on it.  They do make a CI plate setter, but I have heard of them being too tight and when they heat up and expand they crack the base.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Ladeback69. I'd find a new dealer.  They shouldn't limit you to 3.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have a cast Iron Plate Setter plenty of room. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Ladeback69. I'd find a new dealer.  They shouldn't limit you to 3.
    My three years are up in February so it really doesn't matter.  My dealer is a good group of people and I don't really care for the other dealers in town.  It was more said in a joking matter so I am not to worried about it. My dealer just became a Premier Dealer this last week, so I think they would replace it one more time if needed.  I am in there at least once a week.  I am just really careful with my current one, but I was with my last 2 as well.  I have another option I am thinking of doing if it comes to it, by using my XL pizza stone and a raised grid.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.