Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg vs. Wood FIred Oven

2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @Carolina Q I am very interested in how you get an oven to produce the smoke flavor of the egg. This is a serious question, not at all trying to sound sarcastic. 
    It doesn't produce smoke flavor. But neither does a WFO. When you are cooking a pizza in 90 seconds, as you would be with a true WFO, you are not going to get much of a flavor from your heat source anyway. Which is fine with me.
    Agreed... x 1 billion

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Sacrilege!
    Yep. When it's deserved. =) And you know it is here. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    ;)Disagree emphatically. As much as I would like a proper oven I think I've produced pies as good as I have ever had from a wood oven. Definitely better than a regular house oven. You are just getting crotchety and because you are old you can say whatever you like.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Looks pretty good, for a Canadian pie. :rofl: I didn't say my pies were BETTER than egged pies. I said they were just as good. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    I'll give you that a pizza is more the product of dough and toppings than the cooking method but I bet your oven doesn't get up over 900* That's where I cook them. I used to have a 1000* thermo but I can't find a pic.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    Yours almost looks as good as my hotel room pizza.  =•o
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Little Steven
    Yours almost looks as good as my hotel room pizza.

I'm in a Comfort Inn and Suites. Wish I had your leftovers. Thinking about going down to the pantry and getting a chicken biscuit. In the south you know.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Check out Jamie Oliver pizza oven on YouTube, he loved it so much he bought 30% into an italian company, branded it after himself and said he would like to. E cremated in a pizza oven!! Lol...more food for thought there I'm sure!!
  • Carolina Q
    I'll give you that a pizza is more the product of dough and toppings than the cooking method but I bet your oven doesn't get up over 900* That's where I cook them. I used to have a 1000* thermo but I can't find a pic.
    Of course it doesn't. It does do 725°, but I mostly stay at 600° or less. Every bit as good as pies egged at...

Here's the only 900°+ pie I have a pic of. One of the best I've ever made!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Of course it doesn't. It does do 725°, but I mostly stay at 600° or less. Every bit as good as pies egged at...

Here's the only 900°+ pie I have a pic of. One of the best I've ever made!

So you're saying I'm right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    LOL, you know that will never happen.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    I would like to get your dough method sometime.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    cheeaa said:
    Focker said:
    "Not even debatable." Hahahahahahaha
    For real. Its night and day. You seriously can't tell a difference? The taste is just way better
    Then you're using your oven wrong. 

HeavyG said:
    smokeyj said:
    HeavyG said:
    smokeyj said:

I wanted a wfo but settled with a black stone pizza oven. If my B.S. ever died I would not hesitate buying another. Best pizza I ever made.  

The Blackstones are great (I have one) but they will never be able to make an authentic Neapolitan pizza. Need a wood fired oven for that.

Just curious, why do you say they can't make an authentic Neo pie? Bakes at the temps you need to bake a neo pie at.

I don't try making authentic neo pies.

One of the rules for a "real" Neapolitan pizza is that it HAS to be made in a wood fired oven.

Admittedly, it's the sort of detail that most people don't care about. Just like most folks call Chicago deep dish a "pizza" - it's not, but again, most people don't care about such distinctions.
    A WFO functions differently. Temp is not the only issue. I have done pizza at 900° in my egg. It is NOT the same as any pie I have ever had from a real WFO. It just isn't.
    Or you're using your egg wrong. Lol
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Maybe BGE just needs to make a squattier, flatter-domed L or XL with a wfo-like opening or slot with sliding door (like lower vent) at felt height.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Legume said:
    Maybe BGE just needs to make a squattier, flatter-domed L or XL with a wfo-like opening or slot with sliding door (like lower vent) at felt height.
    or jotisserie-like wedge with slot?
    canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Pizza is like sex. When it is good, it is great. When it is bad, it still is pretty good. I like making za on da egg, it has become a neighborhood thing, everybody enjoys it and hanging out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I think dome has to get lower if you're not going to have the fire on the deck.  Someone already makes the wedge insert thing.  Hell, if they made a decent dome on a deck pizza oven, it would be cheaper than an import wfo.